so I captured a great prophet..

I captured a couple Great Prophets and used them to build Holy Sites. My Capital / Holy City has 3 Holy Sites plus a bunch of other +Faith improvements / buildings / abilities. I am putting out over 50 Faith each turn in my Capital, in the Renaissance. Seems good.

Edit: I guess you mean Holy Site by Holy Place, misunderstood that. In that case, yeah, he seems mostly useless. Maybe you can gift him or use him as a free scout or something?

I noticed the same thing when I captured a Muslim missionary... it's an odd feature to let you capture a unit that you really can't use... and it isn't obvious that he's still Muslim; I can see a lot of players accidentally trying to use him and not realize they're spreading someone else's religion.

Deleting the Missionary did no harm, but didn't award Gold either. If you're not at war, a captured Missionary would make a pretty decent scout, as they have a Move of 4 and can cross foreign borders without a treaty -- though be aware they Missionaries take -250 strength per turn when ending movement in foreign territory without permission and will die if they go to zero strength (so they can only last 4 turns in this way).

Ohh... yeah... you can have them make holy sites. I tried to convert a city and ended up converting to another religion. I'm an idiot :)

NO!

Do not delete him!

I was playing Rome and I capture some random Great Prophet. Seeing he was some religion I totally never heard of before and completely different from my empire, I deleted him. 10 turns later, a 12 more come out of nowhere, walked around and disappears. All of a sudden, all my happiness starts going down. Like half my cities started to go to the religion of the guy I deleted. Then barbarian rebels start spawning everywhere. My economy crashed and burn. Finally after all of that, I fell behind and the empires around me like Persia, Vikings, and Germans starts attacking me. Then out of nowhere, the Huns attacks me. Seriously, the Huns come out of nowhere. I gave up after the Germans took my capital.

NO!

Do not delete him!

I was playing Rome and I capture some random Great Prophet. Seeing he was some religion I totally never heard of before and completely different from my empire, I deleted him. 10 turns later, a 12 more come out of nowhere, walked around and disappears. All of a sudden, all my happiness starts going down. Like half my cities started to go to the religion of the guy I deleted. Then barbarian rebels start spawning everywhere. My economy crashed and burn. Finally after all of that, I fell behind and the empires around me like Persia, Vikings, and Germans starts attacking me. Then out of nowhere, the Huns attacks me. Seriously, the Huns come out of nowhere. I gave up after the Germans took my capital.

You registered to say that? :lol:

EDIT: That's a lol at, not a lol with.

You killed the man that god had send to deliver his message, and you decided to kill him. So basically, you just received the wrath of god.

Depending on what exactly a "missionary unit"or "great prophet" comprises, it could actually make sense that a captured one should provide direct faith or religious benefits to any civ who is founder of a different religion. Shame they've got it coded so simplistically that the religion for such units seems to be stuck on that of its original maker.

Since spreading religion is all a missionary can do, should a captured missionary "switch sides" to spread its captor's religion? Might seem simplistic to you, but it would seem unrealistic to me for a GPr or missionary to get so easily "unstuck" on its original religion -- these are supposed to be true believers, after all.

If the GPr still has 4 spreads left, you can plant it to form a Holy Site, which does provide benefits to the capturing civ (think of it as the location where the heretic GPr was executed, and followers of your religion go there to gloat, generating faith as they do so).

I suppose, by extension, a captured GPr or missionary that was simply deleted in your territory could provide a small dollop of faith (similar to how a deleted unit will provide a small bit of gold).

If you have a good faith out put you and the captured prophets religion enable you to purchase faith buildings your religion dont have you could convert some of your cities, buy the buildings then convert them back using your own prophet.

Maybe it's just me, but I always use captured GP's as scouts to recon the territory of other Civs. They can enter foreign lands and they won't slowly die like missionaries do, so I just send them in and walk them along roads to gain vision on all the AI's cities.

Maybe it's just me, but I always use captured GP's as scouts to recon the territory of other Civs. They can enter foreign lands and they won't slowly die like missionaries do, so I just send them in and walk them along roads to gain vision on all the AI's cities.

I love capturing GP's for that reason. Although it's best when they haven't used any converts yet, because then you can build a holy site or create a religion if you don't have one and it's still possible. Another thing that you can do is use the covert feature to screw with your foes. Assuming that the religious unit that you have is from an extinct or nearly extinct Civ, you can tear apart somebody's religion that you may not have much of a chance of getting to. Even if it's a legitimate Civ that has a decent religion up and running, using that unit to possibly covert the last city that you haven't converted yet of another Civ is a way of temporarily taking that religion out of the game until they generate a GP, and then have to waste him on repopulating his own religion.

It seems to me that the GP or missionary scout is kind of a loophole that the creators couldn't find a way out of. The sight is very limited and there's no auto-explore option. So you have to waste a lot of time micromanaging him to get any use out of it.

Since spreading religion is all a missionary can do, should a captured missionary "switch sides" to spread its captor's religion? Might seem simplistic to you, but it would seem unrealistic to me for a GPr or missionary to get so easily "unstuck" on its original religion -- these are supposed to be true believers, after all.

If the GPr still has 4 spreads left, you can plant it to form a Holy Site, which does provide benefits to the capturing civ (think of it as the location where the heretic GPr was executed, and followers of your religion go there to gloat, generating faith as they do so).

I suppose, by extension, a captured GPr or missionary that was simply deleted in your territory could provide a small dollop of faith (similar to how a deleted unit will provide a small bit of gold).

Might be neat if you could return captured missionaries (or GrPr) to a city with a particular structure (something along the lines of an "Royal Inquisition" or the old Aztec buildings in former Civs that allowed ritual sacrifice) else to a Holy City for your religion. Doing this would create a new button in the units panel: Subject to Inquisition, or something like that. Then there could each turn be a certain percentage chance that you get the unit to "recant," convert, die under torture, reveal state secrets, something along those lines. This could provide faith bonuses, espionage bonuses, etc., The relative strengths of the two civs religion, espionage, and policies could influence how likely any given outcome was.

It isn't the type of thing I'd expect in a base game, even the ultimate final version. But could be cool for a mod.

Ethiopia sends great prophets to my lands.
I sent the prophets to their graves.

It seems to me that the GP or missionary scout is kind of a loophole that the creators couldn't find a way out of. The sight is very limited and there's no auto-explore option. So you have to waste a lot of time micromanaging him to get any use out of it.

Oh absolutely the micromanaging is a pain, so I usually just autopath him to move next to somebody's capital or something like that.

If I've already got my own religion [or don't care about it at all] then he basically becomes an expendable resource-like iron in the atomic era.

First thing I do is see if I might have interest in that religion's beliefs. I might actually like that religion more than my own. One time I took the guy's GP and spread his religion to my cities myself, and then we went in together and made it the World religion. GP's can also sit on archaeological sites right in the other guy's territory, where he can double as a standing scout.

Holy necro-post...

To stay on-topic, this is one thing I really like to do as Sweden: that almost-useless Prophet is now 90 influence with the City-State of your choosing.

If you have the Religious Tolerance SP, a couple missionaries from another religion can be useful too, to add another Pantheon belief to your cities.

Top Bottom