God & Kings Screenshot Analysis

I love the baroque styling. Hope you guys saw it. And I do believe that resource is turtles.

Missed that somehow. What "baroque styling" are you talking about? Is it in one of the screenies?

It's flourishes on the tiny map and all the windows in game. Check the screens two dutch-Carthaginian screens and the great prophet screen.

I think we can confirm now that combat strength has been scaled up for every unit. As you see in the two screenshots with the Dutch cities has one rifleman been attacked by a machine gun. With strength 25 he wouldn´t have survived with only one hitpoint. But he still has about 50 in this picture.
Since we have no idea how the combat mechanics have changed to accomodate the new x10 health, I don't see how any statement like this can be made with confidence.

I love the baroque styling. Hope you guys saw it. And I do believe that resource is turtles.

If it is turtles could they have anything to do with early religion?

I don't know why, but the first thing that comes to mind is "unique luxury" liek the ones Mercentile CSs are suppose to be giving out.

Yeah, and one is jewelry, which suggests they'll be more likely to be manufactured and not something you see on the map in general.

IF city states are going to provide 'manufactured' Luxury Goods, does that mean other manufactured Luxuries will also (re) appear? Like the movies and entertainment in Civ IV? Hummm - Hollywood as a City State producing Blockbusters...
On another note, if certain Luxuries have special significance for Religion (like the discussed Possible Turtles) will that also be expanded? Incense is an obvious example, possession of which would enhance religious observances.
Finally, to mix threads from all over, what might be the significance of Neuschwanstein as a Wonder? If there is any parallel to the real thing, it would be an Industrial Age wonder, have no military significance, but primarily would provide a Tourist Attraction raking in Gold in the Industrial, and especially in the Modern Eras. Or possibly building it allows the construction of the Disneyland Wonder in the Modern Era, which provides extra Gold from every city on the map with an Airport, but reduces your Culture by 10%... ;)

IF city states are going to provide 'manufactured' Luxury Goods, does that mean other manufactured Luxuries will also (re) appear? Like the movies and entertainment in Civ IV? Hummm - Hollywood as a City State producing Blockbusters...
On another note, if certain Luxuries have special significance for Religion (like the discussed Possible Turtles) will that also be expanded? Incense is an obvious example, possession of which would enhance religious observances.
Finally, to mix threads from all over, what might be the significance of Neuschwanstein as a Wonder? If there is any parallel to the real thing, it would be an Industrial Age wonder, have no military significance, but primarily would provide a Tourist Attraction raking in Gold in the Industrial, and especially in the Modern Eras. Or possibly building it allows the construction of the Disneyland Wonder in the Modern Era, which provides extra Gold from every city on the map with an Airport, but reduces your Culture by 10%... ;)

One of the Religion Beliefs gives either a bonus to gold OR a bonus to culture with Gold/Silver (It's callced holy relics... or holy.. something)

Btw, do people eat turtles? I don't see how anybody can find the use of turtles. am I missing an important use for them? with the exception of cute lettuce eating?

One of the Religion Beliefs gives either a bonus to gold OR a bonus to culture with Gold/Silver (It's callced holy relics... or holy.. something)

Btw, do people eat turtles? I don't see how anybody can find the use of turtles. am I missing an important use for them? with the exception of cute lettuce eating?

Certainly, ever hear of turtle soup? I wouldn't eat it though. :lol: Ancient China used them of course for the oracle bones and for medicinal value. Other Civilizations depicted them in culture. Egypt, Mesopotamia, Vietnam, Japan etc. They were used as symbols for heraldry and in folklore. They also have been depicted on coins. Turtles are used in the making of cosmetics. Sea turtles throughout history have been used as a source of protein in many areas of the world, especially coastal regions. The eggs are a valued food source as well.

"Taiwan imports hundreds of tons of plastrons every year. A popular medicinal preparation based on powdered turtle plastron (and a variety of herbs) is the guilinggao jelly;these days, though, it is typically made with only herbal ingredients."

"To a much lesser extent, specific species of marine sea turtles are targeted not for their flesh, but for their shells. Tortoiseshell, a traditional decorative ornamental material used in Japan and China, comes from the carapace scutes of the hawksbill sea turtle. Ancient Greeks and ancient Romans processed sea turtle scutes (primarily from the hawksbill) for various articles and ornaments used by their elites, such as combs and brushes. The skin of the flippers is prized for use as shoes and assorted leather goods."

So turtles certainly have several uses. The question is, if the new resource is turtles. What are their benefit in CiV? Why would designers make turtles a resource? My guess is food, religion, and trade. They would make an excellent luxury resource. I am not sure how they will be used in G&K, but someone does have an imagination. They are certainly thinking about what could make the game more interesting. I like that.

Turtle shells were also used by mesoamericans, as decoration and...musical instruments! yet more uses for them.

Turtles also used by hollywood for the movie "Ninja Turtles" :)

Don't really know for sure, but this snippet is from the Neuschwanstein homepage.

Ludwig II, King of Bavaria since 1864, addressed the following lines to the man he so greatly admired, Richard Wagner:

«It is my intention to rebuild the old castle ruin of Hohenschwangau near the Pöllat Gorge in the authentic style of the old German knights' castles, and I must confess to you that I am looking forward very much to living there one day (in 3 years); there will be several cosy, habitable guest rooms with a splendid view of the noble Säuling, the mountains of Tyrol and far across the plain; you know the revered guest I would like to accommodate there; the location is one of the most beautiful to be found, holy and unapproachable, a worthy temple for the divine friend who has brought salvation and true blessing to the world. It will also remind you of "Tannhäuser" (Singers' Hall with a view of the castle in the background), "Lohengrin'" (castle courtyard, open corridor, path to the chapel); this castle will be in every way more beautiful and habitable than Hohenschwangau further down, which is desecrated every year by the prose of my mother; they will take revenge, the desecrated gods, and come to live with Us on the lofty heights, breathing the air of heaven».

As a side note, it's interesting to see Ludwig speak of 'the old German knights', even though he wrote this three years before the founding of the German Reich in 1871.

I'm not convinced that it is turtles. The boat is in the upper left, yet there is some sort of brown box in the center of the tile. It makes me think of a wooden crab or lobster trap being thrown into the water. So I think it is crab, as some have suggested, or lobster.

Wouldn't maritime civs be more appropriate to control unique sea resources or are only mercantile CS's to have UL's?

Top Bottom