Totally unexpected wars

Even more hilariously, I think the Montenegro-Japan conflict is one of the many wars that hasn't officially ended yet. Japan's Self-Defence Forces better be ready.

Sorry but Montenegro made peace with Japan back in 2006. Link

Also lets all be thankful that the Third Punic War and Peloponnesian War finally ended.

Hindsight is 20/20.

A person in this thread posts a war, then someone else post about how it was sooo obvious if you look at the facts.

Saddam's invasion of Kuwait was an unexpected war. Kuwait's leadership had no idea or expectation Saddam would invade. None. What did they plan to gain from it? Burnt oil fields and worn torn cities?

Operation Desert Storm was unexpected. Saddam didn't think America would get involved in Arab affairs and most Americans didn't think or even know, where to find Kuwait on a map back in July of '90, that America would be going to war against the fourth largest military power at that time.

Most wars, are in fact unexpected by one side or another. Usually, one side has everything planned out, then it doesn't turn out that way, as they learn the hard way.

Sorry but Montenegro made peace with Japan back in 2006. Link

Also lets all be thankful that the Third Punic War and Peloponnesian War finally ended.
A Montenegrin plot to lull the Japanese into a false sense of security no doubt.

@RalofTyr: As one of the first posts in this thread stated, don't confuse unexpectedness with the element of surprise.

You mean the Battle of Qarqar? King AHAB of Biblical fame uniting with a bunch of local princelings to stalemate the Assyrians under their king Shalmaneser? That wasn't really 'not going well'. Those wacky Jews also engaged in mad hijinks under King Josiah, who got the tar beat out of him at Megiddo by the pharaoh Necho, who was on his way to fight against those allies of the Jews, the Babylonians (neo-Chaldeans?), who under Nebuchadnezzar had just conquered the Assyrians, who were Necho's allies.

The Battle of Megiddo (the place of Armageddon) is just sad, but funny at the same time. The last king from King David's dynasty died in that battle. Another act of foolishness from the Nation of the Jews(Ancient/Modern Israel).

Even more hilariously, I think the Montenegro-Japan conflict is one of the many wars that hasn't officially ended yet. Japan's Self-Defence Forces better be ready.

Actually, a peace treaty was signed a few years after the collapse of Yugoslavia. So no one's mobilizing for war.

One unexpected war was when India declared war on the United States during World War II. It was the Provisional Government-in-exile of India based in Japan led by some non-pacifist Indian nationalist. So it would be expected in hindsight, but back then it was like "wow, what just happened?"

One unexpected war was when India declared war on the United States during World War II. It was the Provisional Government-in-exile of India based in Japan led by some non-pacifist Indian nationalist. So it would be expected in hindsight, but back then it was like "wow, what just happened?"
Doesn't really count, since it's not an official government.

You don't mean Subhas Chandra Bose I hope. No one really thought he was anything more than some two-bit defector holding a microphone.

A more surprising event in WWII was the Yugoslav refusal to bow to Nazi demands, with common people chanting "War is better than the Pact!" They may as well have walked up to Hitler, dropped their pants, turned around, bent down and grabbed their ankles.

Are there any examples of wars that came completely out of the clear blue sky? Between reasonably friendly countries? Lets say, an equivalent of France attacking Spain tomorrow?
LOLFRANCE? Please.

I know, France doesn't start wars, it only ends them!

The great thing about this forum is that there is no shortage of fools ripe for prodding.
In the anus with a hot iron?

Wait, lolwut? In the first case, the city was gone; you can't sign a peace treaty with a mound of dirt and stone. (I would love to see you try.) In the second case, Athens definitely surrendered in 404 BC(E), end of story, bye bye see you later oh hi Thirty Tyrants bye again.
The great thing about this forum is that there is no shortage of fools ripe for prodding.
Funny discussion in the NES forum's While We Wait thread a few pages back about that very thing.

Wait, lolwut? In the first case, the city was gone; you can't sign a peace treaty with a mound of dirt and stone. (I would love to see you try.)
I'm going to sign a treaty with a mound of dirt and stone during the week now.

Tits pics or GTFO
:lol:
Tits? I don't think my computer will let me upload an image of myself doing that, but I'll guve it a shot. I'm even going to buy a special pen for the ceremony.

Top Bottom