Disabling "Bitter Winter" in Road to War

Admiral Stephen

Chieftain
How do I do this? Because I absolutely hate it. Anytime it's getting ready to go into/out of effect, it makes the turns take an eternity to finish up, and I really hate just sitting there staring at a spinning globe waiting for it to finish just so my map can turn white.

Hi.

Open the file \Beyond the Sword\Mods\The Road to War\Assets\Python\CvRtWEventManager.py in notepad or Python editor or some other text editor.

Look for the following code:
Code:
		# Check Bitter Winter
		if (self.isBitterWinterTurn(iTurn)):
                        if (self.Map == 0 or self.Map == 2 or self.Map == 4):
                                self.doBitterWinter(true)

And change to this:
Code:
		# Check Bitter Winter
#		if (self.isBitterWinterTurn(iTurn)):
#                        if (self.Map == 0 or self.Map == 2 or self.Map == 4):
#                                self.doBitterWinter(true)

But you're missing out on a cool part of the mod. :) It also makes it easier for Germany against USSR.

Dale

Dale,

Just a thought. For us with computers that take 2minutes a turn with Bitter Winter on, how about a single scripted event to represent the highpoint of the winter season? Any units caught in the zone of the winter on that event turn suffer, but that way not every single turn is checked for bitter winter tiles.

Dale, maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but if it's the Python script that's slowing it down, why didn't you just implement it in SDK? Or would that not substantially increase the speed in this case?

Good point. However, it's the check after the tile is changed to winter that causes the problem. It's the check of all adjacent tiles to see what terrain it is so that it can place the correct graphic for that tile. For instance, to match terrain merges.

The python script above calls my SDK implementation, so it's not that either. It's a shame that the graphics engine isn't more efficient in its terrain graphic updating.

What I don't get is how it takes a tiny fraction of that amount of time to load the entire map.

Because the engine is much more efficient at doing that. When it loads the map, it draws each tile once. When it changes a tile, it changes the tile and the eight surrounding tiles. Now consider that loading the map is the only time that the game processes more than one tile at a time. So for each tile that changes, the eight adjacent tiles get their art changed. You can't change more than one tile at a time, so there are a lot more terrain redraws than necessary. Additionally, the terrain gets re-drawn whether you can see the tile or not.

Hi, im sorry that i posted this 7 years after this forum was started.
But I still play Civ IV beyond the sword Road to war daily, and the bitterwinter is a pain in the back because it takes forever to load the turns.
So I went and found the file where my Road to war is, C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\The Road to War\Assets\Python
It took me a while before i found it, anyway, so i opened the CvRtWEventmanager.py with a text editor, and did what Mr. Dale posted, only when i try to save it, it give me the error:
Error opening file for writing.
C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\The Road to War\Assets\Python\CvRtWEventManager.py
again sorry for asking this 7 years later, but i can't find any help elsewhere.
I hope people will still respond to this and be able to help me.
I'm a huge Road to War fan.

It's probably because this file is protected as it is in the Program Files folder. You will have to "authorize yourself" to write it. Right-click on it, select the 'Properties' of the file, then the 'Security' tab and change the Permissions.

I don't remember the exact procedure but hopefully somebody will explain it better than me or you will find an explanation on the internet on how to do it exactly.

Thank you for trying to help me, but either that doesn't work either or I didn't do the permissions right.

Try to do the authorization on the whole folder instead. Also, try to copy the python file elsewhere (like your desktop) and then delete it in the folder. Edit the file when it's on your desktop and then try to re-incorporate it in the folder of the mod.

Top Bottom