Realism Invictus

it takes just 30s for me
Yeah, when I was playing SVN a few years ago that's all the wait I had too. Weird. Maybe I just really need to defragment that badly.

Anyway... thought/suggestion for an ancient era world wonder:

Tel: Basically, representing the rebuilding (over time) of the city on top of itself, leading to it becoming a hill.

Bonuses could include the tile becoming a hill, +1 trade route, and +2 to Great Merchant.

Eh? :)

You are forgetting an important factor - some terrains and improvements get additional bonuses from rivers. Overall, a city by a river is already a much better deal.

I disagree. While river tiles are definitely better one doesn't have to place a city near a river to gain the bonuses exept to build the aforementioned levee. I'll try to explain again. First the city near a river (or any source of fresh water) receives only a little bonus of 2 :health: while fresh water in real life is crucial for a city to grow considerably. Second the city on a river doesn't receive any trade bonuses while I'm pretty sure in real life the riverside city would be much more favourable than the one at some distance.
There are however some problems as noted by cfeyyaz: AI does not prefer to build cities near rivers or oceans but it tries to cover more resources and what about fresh water sources that can't be shown due to the map scale. I don't know if it's possible to solve the first problem but I don't see how the second one is since fresh water shortage in the game doesn't deny the city growth: there are plenty of other health bonuses.

And some additional issues in 3.25 I'd like to discuss.

1) Why is it so frequent even possible when my spies are caught on CIV A territory when they are moving through CIV A to mess up with CIV B?

2) Is there a way to know which building is created by a ministry so I don't waste my sabotage building mission? (espoinage)

3) Holy places (the ones that receive :gold: for cities) are so very powerful. A little nerf plz?

4) Supercarrier promotion is not available to carriers.

5) How do bombers earn experience? Why not like artillery when bombing health points?

6) Why is it possible to upgrade 20:strength: infantry to 24:strength: semi-modern infantry when 28:strength: mechanized infantry is available but it's not possible to upgrade 24:strength: semi-modern infantry to 28:strength: modern infantry when 32:strength: IFV is available.

7) Is this model (shock troops) correct? Magazine all right? What gun is this?
Spoiler :

8) What is the purpose of gunboat ships? Can't imagine how I'd use them.

9) AI leaves a lot of cool units in the rear. For example, it would protect all cities (even the ones that are far away from the front) with 3 riflemen when fighting the main battle with outdated fusiliers. Can't it calculate that's not necessary?

10) AI civs have low income in the trade table. When I try to sell another civ the resource I can see that they would pay me more if they had more income.
So I thought that maybe it's a good idea to limit fund allocation to research/culture/espionage with civics like it was done in civ2-civ3.

11) Another idea to counter the everlasting expansion. A chain of very expensive buildings (or projects so they can't be hurried) that become available with techs and after completion give the city tile :commerce: or :hammers:. So instead of building expensive military or inefficient research/wealth/culture there is an option to improve the existing tiles rather than to conquer more tiles.

I finally had some time to complete an entire game with the latest SVN. Overall I thought the game was balanced really well. I also like the rebalancing on the slave revolts during the renaissance.

The civics have been cleverly grouped into religious, economic, labour, government, and legal. I really like this concept. I am really impressed with how you chose to represent the religious civics and incorporate cult of personality and what you did with Theocracy and Militancy. However, I have noticed some inconsistencies with the government and legal civics. I have a few issues, one of which is with Despotism and Dictatorship and also with the way Federalism and Representation are represented.

I always find myself using Despotism right up until when Federalism/Representation is available, but I always think at that point I should be switching to Dictatorship, not Representative Federalism since the needs of my empire hasn't changed. I'm still a large imperialistic, militant power, usually with a strict religious civic and a Dictatorship would be appear to be the more logical, sophisticated extension of that. Specifically a Federalist Dictatorship. I think that Federalism and Representation, should be represented a different way because the way the civics are at the moment allows some odd combinations and also a lack of some possible combinations for example:

You cannot have: A Federal Democracy, Dictatorship, Monarchy, Theocracy.
* These should be possibilities.

You can have: A Representative Dictatorship, Despot.
* These should not be possible.

Representation is not compatible with every government civic. It is only compatible with Monarchy, Republic, Democracy, Theocracy. Perhaps some new buildings could be created to represent it's effects, such as a "House of Commons" for a Monarchy and a "House of Representatives" for a Democracy, Republic, and Theocracy. Representation would not be compatible with several legal civics; Plutocracy, Feudal Aristocracy, and Rule of Fear.

I also think that the Legal Civics are quite good up until Social Justice. I think Social Justice could be absorbed into two separate civics. You have two competing systems of Social Justice - The Soviet-Style Collectivism system of social justice/equality based off of political expediency, with no actual legal protection to individuals and then you have the Western Supreme Court System of alienable rights and freedoms to individuals based off of the courts' rulings from interpreting their Constitutions, Bill of Rights, Charter of Rights etc. though an English Common Law system.

I suggest getting rid of Social Justice as a civic and creating some sort of court system. Perhaps "Common Law" which would originate quite early on, but would receive additional buildings such as a "Supreme Court" and aspects of Social Justice could find it's way there when "Common Law" is combined with the proper Government Civics. Common Law would be a good alternative to "Civil Service," which is "Civil Law." Civil Service could also receive a Supreme Court building. Most of the world still uses Civil Law today, not Common Law.

Supreme Court should not be able to be built with Common Law or Civil Service while running the following Government Civics because the Leader assumes judicial authority:

Despotism
Dictatorship
Theocracy

The only potential issue I see is that you could not run a Democratic or Republic Federalist Common Law, or Civic Law system, which is a bit problematic to me. For this reason I think it would be best to represent Federalism the same sort of why as I have suggested for Representation, but only allow it to be represented through the following Government Civics: Democracy, Republic, Dictatorship, and Theocracy by building a "Parliament" building. Federalism is actually more of a legal civic, because it's not a form of government it's a legal way to govern. Federalism is compatible with every government civic that's currently available, except Despotism - It would lack the legislation and bureaucracy necessary for a Federalist form of governance. Federalism would also be compatible with most legal civics.

If you have any additional thoughts, or some of these ideas peak your interest let me know. I'd like to discuss them a bit further and perhaps refine them a little more. If I have any new ideas I'll bring them up in a 2nd post.

------

Another thing. Perhaps this is a difference in North American/European definitions, but to me you have named a Republic a Democracy and a Democracy a Republic. The major difference between the two is that a Republic has a Constitution and often a Bill or Rights, or Charter of Rights that grants unalienable rights to individuals that the government cannot revoke. A Democracy does not do this. Ancient Greece was a pure Democracy where the majority ruled, but there was no protection of unalienable rights to individuals. With the will of the majority anything could be possible legally. With a Republic many things are off limits unless you amend the Constitution, which is nearly impossible.

----

It would be nice when browsing civics if you listed under each option not only it's base effects, but it's additional effects when it's related buildings are built, so people playing the game can make a more informed decision of what civic to choose instead of having to refer to the Sevopedia and look up all of these buildings, for example:

Despotism
-Base effects

Enlightened Absolutism
- what other civic is required
- building effects

Mandate of Heaven
- what other civic is required
- building effects

-----

Two other small things: Armenian Gruz infantry (part of the man-at-arms upgrade tree) cannot be upgraded to a handgunner, or even a fusilier. I only had a chance to play as these guys, so I can't speak for other civs. I could see the reason to not upgrade them to a handgunner, since a mixture of gunpowder and melee units were still pretty conventional during certain time periods, but surely you should be able to upgrade them to a fusilier.

I understand why bronze working is required before you can switch to Despotism. It makes sense, however I find on higher difficulties this limits you to 1 or 2 cities for quite a long time early on. That makes it a bit of a grind for awhile. I don't oppose bronze working as a requirement. I agree with that. I would just like to be able to build another city, or a larger army before that point.

Civopedia misinformation: The history of Fekete Sereg says it starts with "Mercenary" and "Drill I", but it starts with "Mercenary" and "Leadership".

Hi,
Love the mod and have been playing it for years. I do have a question concerning the latest version.
I usually go for a cultural victory but when I received my first Great Artist I noticed the option of using him to add cultural points to a city was removed. I just wanted to know if it is still possible to win a cultural victory, how many cultural points are required to achieve legendary status, and what new strategies I should look into.
Thanks.

Spanish Minerias have a small chance of discovering gold/silver/gems. However, since they're replacing Precious Mines, they can only be built on tiles that already contain one of those resources.

At SVN 4929.

When I try to open the .exe download, I get the following error:

"C:\[...]\Realism Invictus 3.25 (2014-03-03) Setup (Full).exe

File system error (-1073741819)"

I am running Windows 10 in 64-bit. I tried re-downloading it and reopening it and it had the same error. I also tried running as administrator, which also did not work.

I am running Windows 10 in 64-bit. I tried re-downloading it and reopening it and it had the same error. I also tried running as administrator, which also did not work.

Googled and found this thread about that error. One of the suggestions was turning off all sound (see the link for more details).

Hi, I've realized that many of the AI cities, even their capitals are very small compared to mine in the classical era. As a result, their empires start to become backwards even at the high difficulty levels.

Then I tested, what happens if you turn off population sacrifice for hurry production for slavery (which I never ever use anyways). It resulted in a somewhat better empire management by AI.

Hi, I've realized that many of the AI cities, even their capitals are very small compared to mine in the classical era. As a result, their empires start to become backwards even at the high difficulty levels.

Then I tested, what happens if you turn off population sacrifice for hurry production for slavery (which I never ever use anyways). It resulted in a somewhat better empire management by AI.

oh, that is surprising compared to my experience. I usually play Immortal and AI capital and most cities are much bigger than mine as I have an epidemic every now and than reducing my population even when I don't usually "sacrifice" my people. The only AI that have small population is the one that has been at war (and losing it) for a while

The civics have been cleverly grouped into religious, economic, labour, government, and legal. I really like this concept. I am really impressed with how you chose to represent the religious civics and incorporate cult of personality and what you did with Theocracy and Militancy. However, I have noticed some inconsistencies with the government and legal civics.........

A while back I did some work on a modmod that had some similar ideas in it:

It adds a Power Civic Type. Basically, Government determines the head of government. Legal determines how to the state relates to its subjects/citizens. And Power determines the dominant socio-economic class. Federalism has been moved to the Legal type allowing for such things as a Federal Dictatorship.

I looked into disallowing certain combinations of civics but that isn't possible, you can only encourage combinations with building that require both civics.

Playing again after taking the summer off. The implementation of the scaled production cost increase for each unit is a FANTASTIC change. Thanks!

Playing again after taking the summer off. The implementation of the scaled production cost increase for each unit is a FANTASTIC change. Thanks!

100% agree. There's been a lot of small, but very nice tweaks in the last while.

I'll bypass all the cool new stuff in the latest snv version (and there's a lot of it, well done!), and simply suggest that something needs to be modified with naval barbarians. They spam a lot of ships, mostly triremes. It's great that one can at least build triremes without bronze, but they are incredibly slow. I've built 15 before 1000AD and lost all of them. I even made one a General hoping to gain some advantage, because here's the major problem: the large number of spawns of relatively strong units would be rough, but endurable. So would the extremely slow train times for naval units without bronze. But naval units get no xp bonuses vs barbarians, so even my trireme with four stars plus 10 percent vs sea units was killed by a plain old vanilla trireme...after the other 4 vesells in his stack died in the previous 50 turns. It's incredibly frustrating to lose unit after unit vs a countless spawn of longships. Can sea vessels please have barbarian bonuses like land units?

Thank you! :)

^^
Agree with kiwi on this one. Especially if your playing any type of water based map and RB checked ( yes, i'm psychotic that way).

Playing on last svn, last changes slightly help in balance, (I love both: increased costs of same units, plains and rivers change), but not with runaway civs.
Holy religion building is still op (now playing large emperor map, it makes 50 g and it is only early medieval era), also runaway civ build often most of the world wonders.
Maybe, if every next world wonder would cost more? (is it possible?)

Looks like my civics screen as well, but I still not in credits?:mischief:

Top Bottom