A Babylon 5 Mod for the Final Frontier Mod

:beer:
... the ships are textured, but only in LWS or 3DS formats. My version of Max is version 5 so the tool here for converting them to .NIF format does not work for me. :sad:

Can someone else do the conversion?

@JEELEN and all
Use worldbuilder once in a while, when FF's Astral Gate project didn't required any tech prerequisite the AI allways went for it, now that it has a prerequisite, the AI appears to go for influence, I believe we need to add more things before the AI does something else.

@PsiCorps
I have tried the v0.1.6d version, everything works fine, but just to be sure, the new stuff is just text stuff right? (for the version control file).
And perhaps you should post your first thoughts within a spoiler tag on your first post (you know, for the record).

@bluescreenodeth
:jesus: Is 0930 in the morning and 'm already with the :beer:
I do not have that game, but yes, perhaps.

:beer:

Can someone else do the conversion?

I am sure there is, but trying to find a sci fi unitmaker here is like trying to find hen's teeth. :( I tried with my Star Trek models and only three out of the five I sent got done. The last two were lost to limbo I guess. :sad:

:nuke: Cheers, Thorgrimm :nuke:

I am sure there is, but trying to find a sci fi unitmaker here is like trying to find hen's teeth. :( I tried with my Star Trek models and only three out of the five I sent got done. The last two were lost to limbo I guess. :sad:

There are three Star Trek models? Where are they? :confused:Star Trek Mod Preview needs lots of 'em!

@Premier Valle: I tried loading the .SAV I posted, but got a CTD as well. Same thing when I tried to load another .SAV from a new game which CTDed on turn 53... :(

There are three Star Trek models? Where are they? :confused:Star Trek Mod Preview needs lots of 'em!

I sent them to DeanJ, but if he does not want to use them thats his choice. They were previewed in the ST thread to.

Very odd... I'll sure ask deanej about those!:yup:

Ask him if he can convert those ST models, if so I can send him almost anything he would need. I have several hundred ST models like the ones that were made already. :)

@ Thorgrimm

considering your import problem i can´t really help you (to busy to make new units, and linking them to animations is the unfunny part and also have no 3ds max). Perhaps you give blender a change (cost nothing, but you need the export scripts), it should at least import 3ds (not sure about LWS) then you need to export it (hopeful the uvmap still works) and then link them to existing animation using nifviewer and nifskope. Still some hours of work per model at the beginning but a start

@ Thorgrimm

considering your import problem i can´t really help you (to busy to make new units, and linking them to animations is the unfunny part and also have no 3ds max). Perhaps you give blender a change (cost nothing, but you need the export scripts), it should at least import 3ds (not sure about LWS) then you need to export it (hopeful the uvmap still works) and then link them to existing animation using nifviewer and nifskope. Still some hours of work per model at the beginning but a start

As much as I would love to see these units made I gave up unitmaking after 20 units for my Fallout mod. And I have no desire what-so-ever to even contemplate trying to make a 3d unit. The 2d units were frustrating enough for me. :crazyeye:

So I will leave the unitmaking to those who like to do it. :D

Hello..
..im here to sign up as a unitmaker :)
First off, im mostly too tired during the week to do anything but drop a post every now and then..
..Considering all the models you already have, what do you still need, i noticed only a couple of Non Aligned Worlds ships missing, and what are your plans considering the civilian ships?
The Explorer Class is a good examle of my problem there.. ..its armed, its huge, its used to explore and to build jumpgates.. ..i assume it will be impossible to use it properly or even animate it properly..
I played FF only once a while back so i might want to have a closer look at it before i can say anymore..

@ Thorgrimm

i wouldn´t call that what i propoesed modeling ;). I thought simply import the 3ds to blender, looks if the uvmap still works, if then export as nif like described in the tutorial. And linking the model to an animation is mainly only changing number (and control the result in game). But it is still time consuming

have you an idea about the polycount of the models?

Hello..
First off, im mostly too tired during the week to do anything but drop a post every now and then..
..Considering all the models you already have, what do you still need, i noticed only a couple of Non Aligned Worlds ships missing, and what are your plans considering the civilian ships?
The Explorer Class is a good examle of my problem there.. ..its armed, its huge, its used to explore and to build jumpgates.. ..i assume it will be impossible to use it properly or even animate it properly..
I played FF only once a while back so i might want to have a closer look at it before i can say anymore..

Saschkin the models I have still need converting to .NIF format and animated. As for other models I hope I can speak for the others here, if you could fill out the unit requirements for the powers that would be most excellent. For example, giving the Dilgar a complete list of ship types instead of just the Cruiser we have. :D

If you decide to do the units just PM me with your email address and we can then get you set up with the models Psi Corp wants done first. :)

For the civilian ships I have quite a few of the freighter and tankers in model form that were seen on B5, along with the Asimov Civilian liner. Yeah the Explorer Class will possibly be a real pain, maybe just convert it and use a basic movement animation only? But it would be nice to have that a a construction type of ship. :D

@ The Coyote, for me, it is a lot of work I know I will never get good at and will only become frustrated. So I will have to avoid that work. :D As for the model poly counts I can get them if you need them.

@Psi Corp and the other team members, I can set up a forum for the mod on my website if you want a place to post all the items and possible discussion in a central location. Below is the fora I set up for the civ 3 Star Trek mod. :)

Star Trek Mod Fora

So if you want a forum set up, just let me know.

Hello..

Welcome aboard! :beer:

Yes, there are still ships that need to be done - and a lot that need to be converted -.
About the Explorer Class ship as far as I remember jumpgate section construction can be done within the ship bay, and then placed together outside it with the help of the yellow starfuries, so an animation for the "build" action could be skipped, and about the construction ship, at least for the Earth Alliance it could be that yellow starfury.

@Thorgrimm
Certainly a dedicated forum for the mod could be usefull, that way we could keep different topics in different threads, like the fighter/squadron approach, the civs, the traits, etc...
What says everyone else?

I thought I would give you folks a few quick render shots of some of the models I have.

Psi Corp Fighter

Centauri Covran Scout

Earth Alliance Omega Destroyer

Brakiri Avioki Heavy Cruiser

Dilgar Sekhmet Heavy Cruiser

Minbari Sharlin Heavy Cruiser

Narn Thentus Frigate

All of these only await conversion by some skilled unitmaker. :D

Hi all.
I've been going over everything we have done so far, there are so many different ways we can approach this mod it's not funny:lol:
However, my initial suggestion(which will be reposted as a spoiler in post #1) went for the younger races start as equals option. This means that for the time being no Vorlons or Shadows:cry: and the tech tree we decided on went all the way to going beyond the rim which for the humans (according to the season 4 final episode) is a long time in the future. So i feel we need to cut out some of the current higher end techs and bring in some new ones. The ones we remove can still be kept for a seperate scenario or we could rename them and use them elsewhere.
I Guess what i'm asking here is, do we still want to stick with the all the races start equal, as normal civ does or do we want to have a Rhys and fall of civilization type mod?
Whichever way we decide on we still need as many ships as we can get so we have choices. If we do all races equal we have a basis for doing the Rhys option. If we do the Rhys option we would have a harder and longer job ahead of us. The offer from Thorgrimm for a forum on his website is a good one, Croxis also made a similar offer some time ago so we have 2 offers on the table for hosting the developement of this mod. Votes for who we go for please?:confused:
From reading the most recent posts our new problem is less about models and more about animating them?
That Psi Corp Black Omega Starfury is gorgeous, i want one to go to work in right now.:D
Noble713 on post #135 had access to an awful lot of information on B5, History, Techs, Races etc unfortunately i haven't seen him post here since. I have PM'd him but no response as yet. Does anyone else have a large enough library of B5 stuff that we can plunder for the various pedia texts?
I've just looked at Mongoose Publishing who do the B5 roleplaying game. I Cannot afford to buy most of the stuff they have out simply to do this Mod. I haven't role played for 7 years now and can't see myself starting again anytime soon. So guess we're gonna have to look for another option.
Don't i go on about nothing? Old age i suppose :lol:
About the Explorer Class ship as far as I remember jumpgate section construction can be done within the ship bay, and then placed together outside it with the help of the yellow starfuries, so an animation for the "build" action could be skipped, and about the construction ship, at least for the Earth Alliance it could be that yellow starfury.
Thinking about this maybe we should have a set up such that a yellow starfury and an Explorer class ship must spend x number of turns in one place to create a jump gate?
I also think the yellow starfury would be ideal for the EA worker model. Thinking on from this, ships can only be repaired if they spend time in the same spot as a yellow starfury (for the EA at least). Just some more things for you all to think about.

Psi Corp Fighter
Centauri Covran Scout
Earth Alliance Omega Destroyer
Brakiri Avioki Heavy Cruiser
Dilgar Sekhmet Heavy Cruiser
Minbari Sharlin Heavy Cruiser
Narn Thentus Frigate
All of these only await conversion by some skilled unitmaker. :D

Amazing stuff!:faint:

Psi Corp, in my opinion I think doing a scen based on the show would be far easier to do in the beginning since we would already have a framework to work with. It would be easier for the techs and such since we would only need a few.

Then once the scenario is finished and working, we could expand what we have to a Rhys and Fall type where all races begin on the same level.

Heck I would love to fight out the Narn Centauri conflict or run the grand alliance fighting BOTH the Vorlons and Shadows. Now that would make for some exciting play imo. :lol:

I figured you would like the Black Omega Starfury, thats why I posted it. ;) As for the background stuff, I have all the Fleet Action books and can provide most, if not all of the background stuff we would need. Just let me know exactly what you need and I shall endeavor to provide. I can't do gfx stuff, but by god I CAN provide information. :lol:

Just give the word and I can have the Fora done in ten minutes.:)

@Thorgrimm :eek::drool::drool:
Great stuff!

I believe that it is easier doing the full game than the scenario, just because the FF world builder issues.
I do have to books (roleplaying), "The Babylon Project" and "The Babylon Project, Earthforce sourcebook"

I'll be back later (i'm @ work :p)

Psi Corps, here is a wee bit o' information about your favorite organization. ;)

PSI CORPS

"You were raised by the Corps, clothed by the Corps. We are your father and your mother." - Alfred Bester, Psi Cop, 2259 C.E.

HISTORY
With the advent of provable, full-blown psychic ability in Humans around 2110 C.E., telepathic regulatory agencies were immediately set up to counter the fears of the "normal" population. Most of these legislations were confused attempts to calm a frightened populace which failed or were overturned by courts of law. None were a complete solution for appeasing the suspicious public and the human rights of telepaths. It was not until 2150 when Earth Alliance President Robinson created the Psi Corps of today. According to Psi Corps propaganda, the impetus for her policy centered around the heroic act of William Karges, head of her personal security staff, and a secret telepath. Using his abilities, he thwarted four terrorist attempts on Robinson's life. He supposedly died saving the presidential hovercade from being bombed. With his death she passed equal-opportunity laws to ensure that telepaths could register their abilities without fear of discrimination.

President Robinson also chartered Psi Corps (a conglomeration of the various telepathic regulatory agencies at the time) to help telepaths live in society, and not simply "keep the normals safe." Psi Corps' role was to locate, control, and license telepaths for work in commercial, legal (with very stiff regulations), and military sectors. Unfortunately, her policy never stuck to the ideals that it touted. Telepaths were still discriminated against buy forcing them to wear gloves (for the protection of the normal's privacy), marking them as a teep. In addition, telepaths are generally excluded from holding high public office, or even endorsing a candidate (although this has changed — current Earth Alliance president Clark was endorsed by the Corps in his bid for the Vice-Presidency). According to the Psi Corps rules, all telepaths are forbidden from engaging in unauthorized scans. The Psi Corps is a monolithic agency now, with several major divisions: Psi Cops, Military, Research and Development, the Mix, and others. Earth Force uses telepaths from the Military Division on a loan-out or special intelligence basis, rather than within their core units of soldiers and officers.

The Mix was created under the Internal Security Act of 2156. Psi Corps was given technical jurisdiction over it. It grew into the biggest conglomerate of private telepaths in the Earth Alliance. is a commercial branch that provides telepathic services for businesses. Once headed by the visionary Arthur Malten, it is now no longer the ambitious agency it was since his untimely death on Mars. While the Psi Corps has its own Commerce division, the Mix is a much more popular choice for commercial telepaths. Their employees almost equal that of Psi Corps and have scores of offices on more worlds and stations than the Corps itself. Since telepathy has been proven, the commercial application of psi powers has been a lucrative business. It has also kept many business deals honest. A commercial telepath can be hired by one or both groups, or both can hire their own teeps. It is not uncommon for both negotiating parties to share the cost of hiring one teep. A hired telepath is not bound to volunteer that her employer lying. If the other party asks, the telepath would simply refuse to answer (which signals the other group that you're lying).

Telepaths are heavily encouraged to enter Psi Corps, and normals are given incentives to turn telepaths in. Discovered telepaths are given three choices: join the Corps, be imprisoned, or be administered drugs that smothers telepathic abilities and live the life of a normal. There are rumors that those who refuse to join or take the drugs simply disappear. Even the "choice" of the psychic-suppression drugs is deadly, contrary to Psi-Corps propaganda; eventually wearing the patient down mentally and physically.

Employees are indoctrinated into the hierarchical organization with subtle subconscious programming the day they arrive. Although this makes loyalty to the Corps fairly certain, it does not override free-will. Those that resist their superiors are hunted down and neutralized by the most powerful Psi Corps operatives, Psi Cops. Those heading the Corps view their lower members as cattle; using their members for covert operations, forcing male and female psis to marry against their will(and if completely unwilling, the females are raped or artificially inseminated) as part a breeding program to produce more powerful telepaths. Brain chemistry experimentation is also high on the Corps' agenda. Thus far, a stable empath has been created. Experiments to push a human beyond the P12 limit have been classified. Its mission to help telepaths now forgotten, Psi Corps is a powerful branch within the Alliance; using blackmail and subterfuge to gain power and wealth.

P-RATING SYSTEM
Telepaths are rated by Psi Corps according to the limit of one's abilities according the the P-rating system. Initial tests determine the P-potential of a teep. While training can increase a telepath's P-rating, most telepaths only become more competent in the P-rating they were born with.

P1-P2
Telepathic abilities are minimal and erratic: mild empathy, some blocking abilities. Telepaths at this level are not officially "taken in" by the Corps, however, the Corps tracks and logs them for genetic purposes.

P3-P4
Telepathic abilities are minimal and erratic: mild empathy, some blocking abilities. Telepaths at this level are not officially "taken in" by the Corps, however, the Corps tracks and logs them for genetic purposes.

P5-P6
Telepaths can receive strong emotions, some detailed information in brief bursts. Telepaths of this rating usually belong to the Commercial Telepath Corps.

P7-P9
Telepaths can receive strong emotions, some detailed information in brief bursts. At his level, leadership positions within the Corps are available: from administrating the numerous testing and training centers to managing the Commercial Telepath Corps.

P10-P11
Telepaths are powerful enough to rip the information out of a resisting person. Telepaths of this level are hired mostly as teachers or indoctrinators of other telepaths.

P12
A telepath of this level either becomes a Psi Cop or dead. A Psi Cop is given the authority to enforce all Alliance laws governing telepaths and is charged with recovering rogue telepaths. The scanning range of a P12 telepath is greatly increased when in hyperspace, allowing her to pinpoint the location of ships through thought waves emanating from the crew.

P13+
Genetic therapy can push a telepath beyond normal limits. At this level telepaths begin to sense the universe at its component levels. Insanity is a very real danger since the massive psi abilities are unstable to an untrained mind. Telekinesis, empathy, and telepathy are at a very high level allowing the telepath almost god-like powers. Only one known human has been able to ascend to this level and survive. Unfortunately for the Corps, the subject, Jason Ironheart, killed the lead researcher on the project and erased the experiment data. He was later thought killed while trying to escape Babylon 5.

"We're Everywhere for your Convenience" - Psi Corps ad

EDUCATION
It is the duty of all Earth Alliance citizens to insure that telepaths of any age register with Psi Corps. Telepathy usually develops near or during puberty. Testing Centers are widespread on Earth. In addition to established Centers, there are mobile units that travel from school to school testing students for psi potential. Young telepaths are removed from their family unit and placed in the local Psi Corps Center. To lessen the psychological damage each telepath is assigned a senior student for support for one year. The senior student has been trained in the use of subtle calming and brainwashing techniques that strengthens the young telepath's loyalty to the Corps. At the Center, the child is tested to determine her psi level and skill at using her abilities. Basic instruction is also given; mainly in the area of blocking out the thoughts of others. However, no matter how strong the telepath is, there is always a "background hum." After a year, the telepath is usually transferred to the Psi Corps Academy

Training at the Academy is difficult and most burn out before their training is complete. Telepaths are drilled in the use of their powers within the Corps guidelines. Scanning is strictly controlled. Unauthorized scans require a court order or the assent of the subject's next of kin. Evidence uncovered by a scan is not admissible in a court of law unless it is performed on the subject's deathbed (with the subject's permission) and there is corroborating evidence. In addition to instruction in the use of telepathy, the Corps offers extensive courses in many "normal" fields: economics, scientific theory, tactics, government, criminal law, xenology, etc. Commercial telepaths are given training in negotiation skills and business law. Commercial telepaths need clearance, payment, and details of the business transaction before they will mediate a deal. Telepaths entering work on criminal cases are very few in number. Scanning criminal minds is very stressful and leads to a high burn-out rate. After seral years of education, the telepath is to choose an internship to determine if a certain section of Psi Corps is what he wishes to join. If that division is not to the telepath's liking, a transfer to another section is usually granted.

Those rare individuals rated P12 are taken to a special training center where they receive top-notch instruction. Each Psi Cop is checked out on all the fastest military hardware, allowing them to operate on their own if needed. Although P12s are given the best of everything, they must always have total loyalty to the Corps.

Psi Corps operates a secret training/research facility in Syria Planum , Mars.

BLIPS
Telepaths that refuse to take sleepers or join the Corps become "blips." They are placed in concentration camps to be used by the Corps as they wish. Each Blip much wear a bracelet that is coded with their personal data, P-Rating and internment history.

@Premier Valle, yeah Adding the specific star systems would be an extreme pain in the backside, as I pointed out myself early in this thread.

I guess ill start with the stuff i like and grow into it from there.. .that would be the Pak`Ma`Ra (does anyone have good references? i only have tiny miniature photos) and the Brakiri (same here..)

..about the Explorer: i remember hyperspace beacons.. ..how about making the Explorer a pure transport/scouting vessel which transports these beacons (ability to build roads/movement 0)..?
..that still leaves the question about the civilian ships of every other nation..

btw: by giving each race differrent scouts/workers/colony ships there would be a way to have them expand in different ways, representing their unique nature, would be hard to balance tho..

about the spaceship files.. .. i only have a webclient mail so i could only help with that if you can put them on a server...

Top Bottom