[BTS] The History of Three Kingdoms

Well, this mod needs a lot of fleshening since for now there's no balance between civs at all and some of them have no unique traits/units etc., but even in the current state it is very rich and addictive.

I agree that some leaders/civilisations are somehow much more powerful than some others. But you need to keep in mind that since this mod is historically based, it's would be kinda wierd to find historically strong leaders like Cao Cao who almost unified whole China get eliminated early and often. ;)
Besides, I personally think the balance issue could be somehow solved by choosing a civ/leader that suits your playing skill. If you are a beginner, try those historically powerful leaders, like Cao Cao, Ma Chao, Liu Bei, Sun Ce,etc. If you are a real expert, pick 'weak' leaders like Zhang Lu, Liu Zhang, creating a empire with these historically weak leaders is exciting, do you agree?:lol:

The "balance" is a thin line which is usually kept for multiplayer. For single this mod is perfect as it is IMHO.

Then the suggestion is: when is in trading screen, press F4 to bring up the diplomatic advisor screen.
Thank you, I missed it :).

Wow. I'm visiting my parents for the holidays, but I can't wait to get back to my apartment and give this a shot. Very impressive! I am particularly impressed by the new diplomacy modifiers. Should make relations with other civs more logical and intuitive. Very cool.

Agreed, I've always looked forward to a proper ROTKs based Mod for Civ IV, thanks for your efforts and keep up the good work.

Congratulations on getting this amazing work completed!

Thanks friend, but we shouldn't say that this mod is completed. There are still quite a lot of stuff that we are working on currently and will work on in the future. For example the Hero System, a massive system which will introduce historical figures of various talents and reputations into the game, is currently under development.

Damn, the emperor- and new diplomatic systems sounds very interesting!
-> downloading, i'll take a look today :)

The main problem for me though is to distinguish leaders by name: for people who know chinese it may be obvious but for me when someone asks me to break deals with Liu Zheng and there's Lyu Zhen (not real names, just example) I can't tell who is who without looking into a scoreboard...

I think, this is always a problem, when playing a game from a totally different culture, and i'll have the same problem. But like all: it'll vanish, when you're "trained".

Damn, the emperor- and new diplomatic systems sounds very interesting!
-> downloading, i'll take a look today :)

I think, this is always a problem, when playing a game from a totally different culture, and i'll have the same problem. But like all: it'll vanish, when you're "trained".

:lol:
You are right.
And I guess, to export Chinese culture and history is one goal of this mod.

:lol:
You are right.
And I guess, to export Chinese culture and history is one goal of this mod.

No Rory, we really don't care about 'exporting Chinese culture' or anything like that. That won't be fun. Well, maybe it's a side effect. If somebody plays this mod and understand us Chinese better, that would be great. But hell, we hate talking like this, it sounds like government.:lol:

No Rory, we really don't care about 'exporting Chinese culture' or anything like that. That won't be fun. Well, maybe it's a side effect. If somebody plays this mod and understand us Chinese better, that would be great. But hell, we hate talking like this, it sounds like government.:lol:

:p
It's only a Chinese joke, don't be serious.

Guys it is really really impressive!

I am happy that there is such a great Sanko mod in Civ4!

(I tried to mod a Sanko mod in civ2 for fun years ago, too!;))

Hope you will have much more good synergy in the upcoming version!

I love the mod! Great work.

I agree that as an American, the leader names are a bit tough to follow. I'll have to try the F4 trick. Other than that maybe a splash of color, or their flag icon somewhere would help identify them?

One suggestion is that for a mod like this one with seasonal turns, I would like to see the impact of seasons like in the Road to War mod. War in winter should be much harder. Could some of the rivers freeze in winter? That would make gameplay very interesting.

One more compliment, finally a mod that got cavalry correct! I've always wondered why mods don't penalize horse units for city or woods attacks. This mod gets it right, cavalry has strong penalties against cities, woods and hills. There's a good balance of unit specialties.

This is an amazing mod, incredibly thorough and well made, but one thing kinda bugs me and it's the music.

Are there any plans to update the music to make it more...three kingdom like?

Other than that maybe a splash of color, or their flag icon somewhere would help identify them?

Good Point. We'll see if we could use the civ's color and leader's button to help associating with the Chinese names.

One suggestion is that for a mod like this one with seasonal turns, I would like to see the impact of seasons like in the Road to War mod. War in winter should be much harder. Could some of the rivers freeze in winter? That would make gameplay very interesting.

Good point too. Haven't played the Road to War Mod but bring season into the game is a great direction. As to freezing rivers in winter, there will be graphical challenges as well as game play one such as will the frozen river plot produce any yields? Certainly an interesting point, but it has to wait until the hero system is finished. That's our top priority for now.

This is an amazing mod, incredibly thorough and well made, but one thing kinda bugs me and it's the music.

Are there any plans to update the music to make it more...three kingdom like?

Yeah, the music bugs.:lol: There will be new music for main menu, era, religion and civilization in the next release.

Hey guy great mod you have there, I've always been a great fan of the period as well of chinese history and China in general :)
Good thing you made Cao Cao rock, I always hate when they consider him the villain in pop culture when in fact I think he was the best ruler of the age
Go Cao Cao!

As to freezing rivers in winter, there will be graphical challenges as well as game play one such as will the frozen river plot produce any yields?
Not sure about yields but a frozen river shouldn't provide -40% str penalty for crossing.

Good thing you made Cao Cao rock, I always hate when they consider him the villain in pop culture when in fact I think he was the best ruler of the age
Go Cao Cao!

Yeah, but he rocks too much. He needs some nerfing.:p

Awesome, is there an estimated time for the next release?

At lease 3 weeks from now on, but hopefully will be within 1 month.

Not sure about yields but a frozen river shouldn't provide -40% str penalty for crossing.

Oh, I thought what 'river' means is not the +1 commerce along river, but the actual water plots that make up the Yellow River and the Yangtze River in scenario maps. If it's the former one, then it should go exactly as you said.

First off: congratulations on making a great mod.:goodjob:

After playing several civs for a while, I do have some comments:

- spelling issues like "Riveval" (Revival), "Family Alter" (Family Altar), "Missionary (divide)" (Division) may seem minor, but if they keep popping up, they're quite annoying (I would also suggest replacing the term Missionary with Advocate, which seems more appropriate to a government concept)

- middle and late advances are much too cheap (playing the bigger kingdoms a research rate of 4 turns is quite doable, which means an advance practically every month or so)

- I would suggest replacing the leadernames (for the civs) with actual kingdom names to increase the historical flavour.

Otherwise, this is a great mod to play and may only get better, so keep it up!;)

Top Bottom