Better BUG AI

small update:
BUG 2212
Unofficial Patch 1.50 (without the minimum Total Production Modifier changes. UP changed it to -50, I left it at 0 - note that this only comes into play with a mod that uses civics/buildings/whatever with negative production boni. The stock game has none so this doesn't affect gameplay either way.)

edit
: Some details I forgot:
50 Civ dlls are included in the package now. Keeping them seperate serves no purpose, they compress really well.
DP color is now cyan (was blue and that was unreadable), war plan color is now orange.

unofficial patch list.txt diff between 1.4 and 1.5
Most of it was already in Better BUG AI because UP stuff pops up on Better AI svn sooner than on the UP svn, the 05-13 update just added the last 2 items on the 1.50 version list:
- CvUnit::rangeStrike - Fixed bug with determining if can range strike, and potential OOS from range strikes (thanks God-Emperor)
- CvUnit::canRangeStrikeAt - Added check for whether target plot is visible (thanks God-Emperor)

I'm wondering now .. should it really be necessary to see a plot to start a rangestrike?

Nah, you can only strike if there's a valid target anyway (enemy defender I assume), and in general you get a "Do you really want to declare war" - type dialogue if your action would cause a war.

Fuyu I just downloaded the latest version of your mod (1.00c) but when I try to open it it says the file is corrupted.

Thx for reporting, 1.00c version is removed, 1.00d version is up (date is still 05-16).

Anyone (still) interested in updating with svn? I believe last time I was asked I refused but seeing that every other modder uploads compiled dlls to his svn, maybe I should be doing this too. Once it is set up, right-click -> SVN Update really is faster than going to mediafire, downloding the new version, and running the installer... added standard dll to svn

Just use the shortcut that comes with the installer. Or did you want something else?

You can also edit the My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini file. (Open it in notepad and edit Mod = 0 to Mod = Better BUG AI.)

That second one may do the trick, thanks.

EDIT: No, that isn't the solution I'm looking for. That change made the Mod automatically load when opening the game, but it still considers it a mod and not the default game setting. When you install BUG, you can either install it as a stand-alone mod, or to your Custom Assets folder (IIRC). I usually use the second option, which makes BUG the default load, and doesn't actually count it as a "mod".

Any way to do that with the installer?

Does the fact that it's considered a mod affect anything? (I don't know the answer to your question though, sorry.)

@Pluto:
You can always move the contents of the Better BUG AI\Assets folder to CustomAssets but you probably shouldn't. Mods that only add art, the Unofficial Patch, BUG , or even BULL without any of the optional components do not alter the way savegames are stored and can thus be added to CustomAssets without having to worry about savegame compatibility. Better BUG AI however contains BULL and Better BTS AI, both of which change savegames.
So if you put Better BUG AI to CustomAssets, noone but you will be able to load those savegames because the game will try to load the same mod you had loaded when saving it (NONE) and then fail to load the file because with the stock BTS 3.19 DLL you can't load those saves.

In short, it is possible and easy enough to do but I advise against it.

Not only did I strike out too much text, I also forgot the other important point: multiplayer.
Art mods or BUG will work in multiplayer mode too - but if you were to have Better BUG AI in CustomAssets, you would be able to connect to other players who have no mod loaded, that means instantaneous OOS or maybe even crash.

Better BUG AI might keep game rules intact but it is still different from stock BTS (especially when it comes to AI behaviour) and will therefore not work together with anything else.

Only very tiny changes this time (I had messed up War Plan display, fixed now),
and some xml values were set back to default (nukes give global warming again, and LfB uses standard values). see revision 81 and 82
No BUG, BULL or Better AI revisions at all, just a release to celebrate 6 months of Better BUG AI * :p

Better BUG AI 1.00e (2010-05-20)
{ sourceforge or mediafire }

I have this faint hope that I can slow down my release rate a little now..
edit: so much for that, I had to fix a division by zero issue this morning (introduced in my last update before release >_<)

The last merged file zip seems to be not available from it's link. Can you please check that?

The merged files for combining your mod with BAT 2.3 are no longer accessible, which is what entwood means, I think.

Combining this mod with BAT 2.3:
1. Install BAT
- x Delete Assets\Python folder from BAT (no longer necessary)
- x Delete Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4GameOptionInfos.xml file (was never necessary)
2. Copy Better BUG AI's Assets over to BAT, overwrite.
3. Extract the merged files from this zip to BAT, overwrite.
- [ thread in BUG Project subforum ]
-------------------------------------------------------------

The "this zip" link points to a missing attachment. Thanks a lot for making those and writing instructions, by the way! I've spent many hours trying unsuccessfully to figure out how to merge mods (yours, BAT and another) before finding this information.

EDIT: This link works for me: http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=252994&d=1274309299

Top Bottom