After years of playing, what new things have you found in Civ 4?

Not sure which is the truth. I tried to look it up and couldn't find anything about it. I THOUGHT if you moved SAM units they couldn't intercept until the next turn, but the AI certainly does not have that issue. And since I cannot find anythign about that, I think I somehow had it wrong in my head the whole time.

Another thing I found out was that if you have cathedrals/mosques etc buildings that give +2 appiness for state religion, this happiness shows upon the religion screen, such that it shows +3 happiness instead of the normal +1, and will show up as +1 again if you click on the religion boxes to test out what other religions would do for your empire.

The shared war bonus also counts when you at war with several enemies and those enemies are also at war with each other.

The influenza event, which can completely screw up your game. I only just found out about it, after forgetting to turn off events.

The influenza event, which can completely screw up your game. I only just found out about it, after forgetting to turn off events.

I've played hundreds of games and don't remember that event. It must be pretty rare. How does the event wreck your game?

I've played hundreds of games and don't remember that event. It must be pretty rare. How does the event wreck your game?

It's a late-game event. Either a randomly-selected city loses 4 population and spreads it to others, or you pay a large amount of gold (can't remember how much) and the city loses 3 population. Fortunately I had a large gold reserve from missing the 3GD.

EDIT: Just checked the event. It's 100 gold, and 3 population either way. And the "spreading" makes nearby cities lose 2 pop each.

I wouldn't deem that game breaking. Just nasty.

(...)whole time.(...)
screen, ssuch that it hows +3 happiness instead of the normal +1(...)

Incense gives +1 and +2 with "cathedral" ;)

Sounds like a more serious virus than the flu. Pretty nasty result.

I think it was inspired by the 1918 "Spanish Flu" Pandemic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

The global mortality rate from the 1918/1919 pandemic is not known, but an estimated 10% to 20% of those who were infected died. With about a third of the world population infected, this case-fatality ratio means 3% to 6% of the entire global population died.[30] Influenza may have killed as many as 25 million people in its first 25 weeks. Older estimates say it killed 40–50 million people,[4] while current estimates say 50–100 million people worldwide were killed.[31]

This pandemic has been described as "the greatest medical holocaust in history" and may have killed more people than the Black Death.[32] It is said that this flu killed more people in 24 weeks than AIDS has killed in 24 years, more in a year than the Black Death killed in a century.[33]

Compare that to about 14 million military and civilian dead as direct result of WWI, although it's impossible to completely separate the figures of the Great War and the Pandemic. There were mass graves. War time shortages made matters worse.

There were no antibiotics to fight secondary bacterial infections, such as pneumonia.
It was most lethal against young adults and pregnant women. Imagine people all over Europe and North America going to induction centers and basic training barracks, then to the front. Supplies moving all over the two continents and Russia, too. There were trainloads of full coffins. Friends and families got together for funerals, and it spread some more.

Wars have unintended consequences.

I'm glad it's in the game as a commemoration. We should remember.

It took me many years an expansion, and all added up, probably several hundred hours of time put into the game and I just realized how espionage works. I had no idea that the espionage you build up is used in missions. I would do a mission and think "why can't I see what they're building now?" I am so dumb :lol:

I learned in a thread just a little while ago that you don't necessarily count cows as a food resource when settling. Pigs, sheep and corn are more preferable.

Thanks Lennier!

This I discovered by accident, it is possible to manipulate the image of a building you are producing by clicking on it and dragging the cursor around. I'm referring to the rendering of the building just to the right of the build cue in the city screen. I have no idea why they did this, I guess because they could, but you can spin the building around and look at it from all angles, even from directly overhead. Odd but fun.

Edit: oh goodness, it works for units too!

Back in like 2010, after owning it since release, I finally realised that railroads add an extra hammer to mine/lumber-mill tiles (and maybe quarries?), previously for some reason I thought they made building the railroad 1 turn faster or something. Complete failure on my part.

Not quarries. I wondered about that too. So, quite a while ago, I made a point of keeping an eye on the production from quarries when railroad was built on the tile.

I had to make a point of checking workshops, and railroads don't do anything for them either...of course I made a point of checking only after however many useless railroads were built to service workshops.

Railroad on a quarry gives a bonus :hammers: in BTS; it must have changed at some point.

Corporate spreads can fail! Does anyone know the math behind that?

I always assumed it was something like missionaries, but that's just a guess.

Damned annoying, either way, but particularly so with missionaries as I hate having to build them - can't somebody else do it? :sad:

I learned in a thread just a little while ago that you don't necessarily count cows as a food resource when settling. Pigs, sheep and corn are more preferable.

Thanks Lennier!
You're welcome. :)

Top Bottom