TLKNES: Belle Epoque

To: All Concerned Parties
CC: Russian Empire, Great Britain, United States

His Imperial Majesty's Foreign Office is pleased to announce the Convention of Montreal, a settlement between the French Empire, the Russian Empire and the United Kingdom of Great Britain in order to propose a resolution to the ongoing Oregon Territory crisis. The French and Russian Empires hereby endorse the British plan, enclosed below, for the partition of the Oregon Territory as a gesture of international good will and compromise. In the same spirit, the United Kingdom of Great Britain hereby recognizes and supports the French administration of the Panamanian Isthmus in perpetuity. It is the hope of the French Empire, the Russian Empire and Great Britain that the compromised endorsed by the Convention of Montreal will be adopted by the United States and agreed upon by all involved parties, and that the Oregon Territory question shall be resolved peaceably and for all time.

Spoiler :

Signed, His Imperial Majesty Napoleon III, Emperor of the French
Signed, His Excellency Alexis de Tocqueville II, Prime Minister and Head of His Imperial Majesty's Government
Signed, His Excellency Patrice de McMahon, His Imperial Majesty's Ambassador to the United Kingdom of Great Britain

His Imperial Majesty's Foreign Office is pleased to announce the Convention of Montreal, a settlement between the French Empire, the Russian Empire and the United Kingdom of Great Britain in order to propose a resolution to the ongoing Oregon Territory crisis. The French and Russian Empires hereby endorse the British plan, enclosed below, for the partition of the Oregon Territory as a gesture of international good will and compromise. In the same spirit, the United Kingdom of Great Britain hereby recognizes and supports the French administration of the Panamanian Isthmus in perpetuity. It is the hope of the French Empire, the Russian Empire and Great Britain that the compromised endorsed by the Convention of Montreal will be adopted by the United States and agreed upon by all involved parties, and that the Oregon Territory question shall be resolved peaceably and for all time.

Spoiler :

Signed, His Excellency Alexis de Tocqueville II, Prime Minister and Head of His Imperial Majesty's Government
Signed, His Excellency Patrice de McMahon, His Imperial Majesty's Ambassador to the United Kingdom of Great Britain

Signed, Tsar Alexander II, Emperor and Autocrat of All of The Russians

Spoiler :

Signed, His Majesty Victor I, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland king, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India.

Signed, William Gladstone, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Signed, The Earl Granville, Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs.

The United States of America,

does not agree to the British plan and sees no reason to discontinue the current territorial sharing agreement currently in place and DOES NOT SIGN the Convention of Montreal.

Any attempt to forcibly enact unilateral jurisdiction and control upon any part of the Oregon territory by any power will be considered in violation of our existing agreements.

EDIT: Now i have to go and resubmit my orders with edits. TLK: Expect something today.

Can I join as the Chinese Empire?

The Kingdom of Denmark and the French Empire are pleased to announce the Treaty of Copenhagen between our two nations.
Spoiler :
Treaty of Copenhagen
1) The French Empire and the Kingdom of Denmark henceforth recognize and agree upon the existence of a Franco-Danish military alliance and defensive compact, obligating either party to come to the defense of the other should it be deemed necessary to do so.
2) The French Empire and the Kingdom of Denmark hereby establish the groundwork for a new economic relationship in which both nations shall cooperate to bring down trade barriers and more closely tie together French and Danish industry for the benefit of both peoples
3) Consequently, the Kingdom of Denmark agrees to lower tariffs on French industrial goods, especially industrial and military equipment. The Kingdom of Denmark also agrees to lower taxes on French businesses operating within its borders.
4) The Kingdom of Denmark will grant the French Empire Most Favored Nation status.
5) The French Empire will lower tariffs on Danish iron and steel products and will encourage French capital to invest in the expansion of the relevant industries within Denmark necessary for the manufacture of both.
6) The French Empire will provide the Kingdom of Denmark with military advisers in order to assist in the expansion and modernization of the Danish army and navy, and further coordinate shared strategic goals.
7) The French Empire and the Kingdom of Denmark regard the Treaty of Copenhagen as the basis for all Franco-Danish relations, particularly those concerned with the economic well-being of both states, and agree to renegotiate the terms of their international economic contract as necessary.

Signed, King Christian IX of Denmark and Norway
Signed, Prime Minister Jacob Estrup of Denmark

Orders Due Tomorrow

Thank you. :)

Orders sent. Let's hope Bavaria doesn't get torn apart by a peasant war (cough cough Paradox Games) Turn 1.

The Kingdom of Denmark and the French Empire are pleased to announce the Treaty of Copenhagen between our two nations.
Spoiler :
Treaty of Copenhagen
1) The French Empire and the Kingdom of Denmark henceforth recognize and agree upon the existence of a Franco-Danish military alliance and defensive compact, obligating either party to come to the defense of the other should it be deemed necessary to do so.
2) The French Empire and the Kingdom of Denmark hereby establish the groundwork for a new economic relationship in which both nations shall cooperate to bring down trade barriers and more closely tie together French and Danish industry for the benefit of both peoples
3) Consequently, the Kingdom of Denmark agrees to lower tariffs on French industrial goods, especially industrial and military equipment. The Kingdom of Denmark also agrees to lower taxes on French businesses operating within its borders.
4) The Kingdom of Denmark will grant the French Empire Most Favored Nation status.
5) The French Empire will lower tariffs on Danish iron and steel products and will encourage French capital to invest in the expansion of the relevant industries within Denmark necessary for the manufacture of both.
6) The French Empire will provide the Kingdom of Denmark with military advisers in order to assist in the expansion and modernization of the Danish army and navy, and further coordinate shared strategic goals.
7) The French Empire and the Kingdom of Denmark regard the Treaty of Copenhagen as the basis for all Franco-Danish relations, particularly those concerned with the economic well-being of both states, and agree to renegotiate the terms of their international economic contract as necessary.

Signed, King Christian IX of Denmark and Norway
Signed, Prime Minister Jacob Estrup of Denmark

OOC: I've been pretty busy this week and won't be able to get in orders tonight, but I'll definitely be able to get them in tomorrow morning.

OOC: RP post.

IC:

- Guangxu Emperor in his study​

A tall middle-aged man of sturdy stature and wearing the Uniform of Manchu Officials enters the study of Emperor Guangxu and bows before him. He kowtows three times, shouting: "Huángdì, Wànsuì! Wànsuì! Wànsuì! (Emperor live Ten Thousand Years)".

"Get up!", the Emperor orders.

The man gets up and says: "Your Majesty, how can I be of use to you?"

"I ordered you to come here because I wanted to consult you on the issue of Opium. On one hand, because of the Barbarians, I cannot outlaw it and hunt down Opium traders. But, on the other hand, Opium will lead to collapse of our state, both morally and economically. What do you thing that I should do?"

"Your Majesty, I believe that you should legalize Opium on one hand, to please the Barbarians, but tax it so much, as to make it impossible for most people to buy it. Also, you should enforce a ban on the use of Opium for Officials. That means that only a few rich private citizens will be able to buy Opium."

"And what should I do with tax evaders?"

"Those who disobey the Will of the Son of Heaven deserve death!"

"Good! Very Good! That's what I shall do!"

"Wànsuì! Wànsuì! Wànsuì! (Long Live the Emperor)".

OOC: Just one slight nitpick: "Wànsui" actually just means "ten thousand years". So right now they're just saying "Ten thousand years! Ten thousand years! Ten thousand years!" which is a little weird. That phrase should start off with "Huángdì" (Emperor) so that the officials are actually addressing the emperor (This was also what the Qing Emperors used for themselves).

From the Empire of Japan
To the world
Following the glorious victory of the enlightened enperor Meiji Tenno over the rebellious shogun Toshinobu Tokaguwa, the rebels have fled to Hakodate and last year have suceeded in assassaniting our emperor. I, Taisha Tenno, heir to the throne of the Empire of the rising sun, proclaim a war aigainst the trecherous Repulic of Ezo in retaliation for their crimes. In continuation of the policy led by Meiji, I declare the Empire open to trade with all foreigners with peaceful intention if they agree to withdthraw their support from the trecherous Republic.
Signed: Taisha Tenno, Enlightened Emperor of the Empire of the Rising Sun

OOC: Just one slight nitpick: "Wànsui" actually just means "ten thousand years". So right now they're just saying "Ten thousand years! Ten thousand years! Ten thousand years!" which is a little weird. That phrase should start off with "Huángdì" (Emperor) so that the officials are actually addressing the emperor (This was also what the Qing Emperors used for themselves).

Thanks for the correction. :)

As someone who grew up watching period dramas in Cantonese and Mandarin, it was pretty common to see the court officials chanting "Wànsui, wàn sui, wàn wàn sui". No idea how accurate those TV shows were, but I'm under the impression that it was implied to be addressed to the emperor.

As someone who grew up watching period dramas in Cantonese and Mandarin, it was pretty common to see the court officials chanting "Wànsui, wàn sui, wàn wàn sui". No idea how accurate those TV shows were, but I'm under the impression that it was implied to be addressed to the emperor.

I also see a lot such Chinese TV series, and that's why I only had the official say Wànsui.

From the Empire of Japan
To the world
Following the glorious victory of the enlightened enperor Meiji Tenno over the rebellious shogun Toshinobu Tokaguwa, the rebels have fled to Hakodate and last year have suceeded in assassaniting our emperor. I, Taisha Tenno, heir to the throne of the Empire of the rising sun, proclaim a war aigainst the trecherous Repulic of Ezo in retaliation for their crimes. In continuation of the policy led by Meiji, I declare the Empire open to trade with all foreigners with peaceful intention if they agree to withdthraw their support from the trecherous Republic.
Signed: Taisha Tenno, Enlightened Emperor of the Empire of the Rising Sun

This was a mistake.

Top Bottom