Civilization III: Worldwide

Lots of guys who've been here much longer than me get better result from the computer. You just have to customize the game to best fit the Ai's bizarre logic.

No unit can cause a Golden Age. Each civ's unique wonders, however, will cause a golden age when you build one or both of them. You can, of course, get a golden age sooner by building general wonders.

Hey Anthony! Glad to hear that progress is being made on the update! I can't wait to see the new version. Any new previews for those of us who are having trouble waiting?

Not to make things too complicated, but it might be a little easier in the tech interface if you put arrows in between, lol. I am just picky like that.

I know you were trying to have different units for each civ, but what's the difference between all of the trebuchets?
(There are 10 of the exact same one in my civilopedia. There are Persian trebuchets, and Byzantine Trebuchets, and then there are 10 of the same.)

Not to make things too complicated, but it might be a little easier in the tech interface if you put arrows in between, lol. I am just picky like that.

what's the difference between all of the trebuchets?

If you check the previews in post 2, you can see that originally I was working on tech arrows. Ultimately, they were so convoluted that they were not much help for the amount of time they take to do. We made it through Civ 1 and 2 without arrows, so we're just gonna roll with it as is.

Having mutliple trebuchets made it a lot easier to develop the upgrade paths for the civ-specific cannons and artillery. Since they use the same graphics, it doesn't take up any more space.

WoW! Lots of techs in there! :)

One thing to keep in mind is that the generic Firaxis borders change size depending on how much stuff is in the tech. In other words, the borders expand. I don't know if you are using a modified borders PCX or not, but I made one for CoMM so that the borders all stay in the same position (so the arrows always match up), although they still get bigger.

I believe this is why Firaxis has their arrows not going all the way up to the techs, but are slightly back a few pixels.

I can do it either way, but with the limited space in your tech tree, might be good idea to make the top and left side of borders all align up (which I can do also if they are not). Makes things a bit cleaner in the end, in case modications are made.

Roger. The tech boxes are custom. The borders are two pixels per side. They are not, as you've noted, lined up equally in x,y position with one another. So at this time if you change the amount of stuff available with the tech (and thereby change the box used) it will move spots slightly.

Just wanted to say, I love this mod like a fat kid loves cake. It's been a tremendous inspiration to my own mod (approx. due date: October 2035) and I can't wait to see what you do with the expansion.

Ooh! Downloading now! Having just read through the thread to pass the time while I wait, (1 hour, 42 mins still *sigh*) I noticed that at least two people had asked about the upgrading-ancient-unique-unit-for-other-civ-to-modern-uni- in-pedia issue, and it occurred to me that the confusion could be avoided if you said what the units actually upgraded to in the civilopedia. This would be a fair amount of work, but once it's done, it's done, and it would save a lot of confusion, and answering the same questions.

I'm on the final stretch of adding units and making/stealing building and tech graphics. Then it'll be a few weeks of error checking, civpedia writing, and in-game testing. I'm looking forward to finishing this up so you can try it, and I can take a break from staring at computer screens and get outside more as the weather improves.

Thank you in advance for your help, and for taking the time to play the game. Hope you enjoy!

I've been playing this mod for awhile now, on a large Pangea as America. Won by cultural victory in the Industrial age, but kept playing until I'd conquered the entire world. And I must say, this has definitely been my favourite mod that I've played!

One thing I noticed though was that the UK seemed to have a lack of special wonders/units. They controlled nearly 25% of the world at one point, and it kinda bothered me how they don't have many particularly strong units. Although, I might have just not noticed it if they did, they were a small, backwater country for most of the game.

Oh, I also noticed that the German U-Boat was called U-Boot. I don't speak German, so I'm not sure if that's how it is in German, or if it was just a typo.

Somewhat related, I think I noticed that Scandinavia's WWII era Swedish infantry had a plane as its pedia icon, not sure if the unit is also a plane or if it's just that icon.

And finally, I'm not sure if you had anything planned to be unlocked with the cloning, bio-implants, or alternative energy techs, but it just seems a little empty and could probably use some kind of super-slightly-futuristic units or something. Just a suggestion, of course.

Oh, and if you don't mind sharing, how many new civs do you have planned to add in the update? Just a little curious, I've been trying to find a good world map to play your mod on, but have been facing some issues with the amount of civs available.

Once again, great mod! Absolutely love it! :goodjob:

pi4t: A fair amount of work, indeed, redoing 1136 unit civilopedia entries with active links. It's a good idea, but probably won't happen soon.

My understanding is that if you have unresearchable civ-specific techs, the game will crash when you finish your last Modern tech, instead of going on to future techs like a normal game. Since I didn't want to find this out the hard way, I put some spacer techs at the end so you have time to finish your Hegemony Race.

Hey I just had an idea for another building: Coaling Station. reduces corruption, must be in a coastal city, veteran sea units, +1 production in each water square, requires a harbor and coal, available with steam engine, but obsolete with combustion. i would also make it a city perk, ie have the "replace all buildings with this flag" checked, so these wont be spammed at home. actually this might be too strong a building... probably in fact haha. but it would be an interesting and useful improvement during its short existence.

Heh, I love it when people realize my username is Cheap Trick. (This isn't the only website I use it on..I don't really post here too often.) It kinda surprised me that not too many people figure it out right.

Is that.."Where are my tank keys?" Just ran it through a translator. If it is, seems like a very helpful phrase. :lol:

As far as games crashing when due to civ-specific techs, I did finish the entire tech tree as America and was on future tech 10, I think. I could always run a few tests. Maybe edit the scenario rules of a game so that I start off with all the mandatory techs minus one, finish it, and see what happens.

I guess I must have missed some of their units, like I said, they didn't do so well last game and so I didn't get to see most of their troops. But that does sound like a lot of new toys for them, can't wait to try it out!

Oh, right..totally forgot about that post. I knew those were there! I'm just much too forgetful!

Good to see that I'm not the only maniac with a 1000+ units mod (I have about 2000, duh). Congratulations! Downloading now.

Absolutely fantastic mod! Truly great! Thank you very very much!
The only thing truly missing is the City View, if that can be made it will be absolutely brilliant. Played with Egipt and America and loved it... Hat's off to the creator!

Top Bottom