The Deity Challenge Line-up - Game #11 - Morocco

@ Pythonic

Spoiler :
Welcome to the series and I think you played a very well thought out precise game. You have already won this game but tried to bail out for SV a few turns too late. You played 3x the more strategic game compared to my own. I think moving down to standard speed changed the victory time for you and a slight adjustment to your speed and you win all the next challenges down the road for sure! Get ready for the next one comming up on Friday.

@Pythonic - great write-up! I can't add much directly to what has been said. I used to be a good Emperor player who could sometimes win on Immortal, and then I read Tich's Deity guide for SV. It is written with the Shoshone in mind, but it translates to any SV. Many would find it boring, as it is a total turtle strategy, but it is the backbone of most of my games - at least to Plastics. I dislike avoiding the top of the tech tree until the end, but it is very efficient.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=506043

Thanks for the feedback! It looks like the consensus is that I should have transitioned after taking Copenhagen to prioritize the SV, or maybe even passed on attacking Denmark altogether. I used to play Civ IV a lot, where the mantra is land=power, so it's a big surprise to me that one can win a scientific victory, or any sort of victory, with just the four original cities. I guess vertical growth is really strong in Civ V!

@Nigel_Tufnel2 Thanks for the recommendation to read Tich's guide. It looks great and quite technical. I'll have to practice going pure SV to optimize it for sub T250 wins (wow, in retrospect, my game went on for a while...)

@Fluphen Azine Yes, playing on epic speed is a different game entirely -- I think it favors domination and timed pushes with upgraded units a lot more. I'll need to practice standard timing for the challenges =)

@consentient Great criticism, and I think you're absolutely right that I was trying to play too mixed of a style and should have assessed the situation better to prioritize one or the other. As you say, the map didn't favor domination, so I should have assessed the situation and gone for the SV. I didn't realize how bad the AI is at doing the SV. That said, I think it's interesting that the game did in fact take so long, considering that (searching the threads) a runaway rationalism AI can win an SV at turn 250 or so, so I think that warring may be able to slow the AI down some. War with Alex was mandatory, because his gunboat diplo was giving 5 influence per turn to all city states, so I needed to lock in the ~5 CS allies that I had to prevent him from getting a DV. Given that I had to war, I think it's interesting to think about how best to do the space race while slowing the AI down as much as possible. I think nuking the core cities might be part of the answer. At the end of the day, though, I think my basic mechanics need better work: prioritize public schools/research labs, choose a better tech path, etc, to optimize the SV.

This is my first Deity game in a while (first since the patch, in fact). I decided to go for Diplo victory, and man is Greece a pain. That guy definitely feels like the most dangerous overall AI civ.

I'm going to hit the first World Leader vote on turn 252, which isn't bad at all, but I don't think there's any chance that I'll actually win then. I have barely more than half of the city-states (can't even count how many successful Greek coups I've had to cope with). I have my Workers scurrying to tear up Farms and build Trading Posts, and I'm just hoping that I'll be able to scrounge up enough cash to win on the second vote cycle. There's also that suspicious Danish army massing in the northeast...

I probably expanded a lot further outward than most people. The Jungle/Bananas city seemed like the best overall expansion spot, and my other expo choices were warped around wanting that city. I would've liked to get another city under the mountains, but unfortunately I was too slow. Liberty start with a Great Engineer for Machu Picchu (very nice as a way to undo the lack of gold in Liberty) followed by some standard Patronage/Rationalism/Freedom stuff.

Attachments

• Morocco.jpg
    Morocco.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 166
obsolete

The endgame ended up being pretty interesting. Before I even got to the first World Leader vote, I got double-DOWed by Boudicca and Alexander, locking me out of half the city-states. Boudicca was close enough to fight, but it looked like it could be hard to get Alexander to make peace. Greece quickly ate one of my city-state, too.

I was able to overtake Boudicca with ease. She had the Forbidden Palace, so her DOW'ing me was actually pretty convenient. To deal with Alexander, I planned to build the Manhattan Project and put the fear of nukes in him. This ended up not being necessary. Once his ally got crushed, Alexander was eager to make peace -- he even gave me a generous 700 gold for my troubles.

At this point I had a ton of gpt and was able to borrow thousands upon thousands from my buddy Harald, and I cruised into victory on the second vote with every remaining city-state in my pocket. Pretty satisfying victory -- a bit of challenge, but not a game-long slog.

Attachments

• MorrocFinal.jpg
    MorrocFinal.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 125
IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Though this map is quite old, it can still be played, so if you play it and complete it, please send me a PM so I can update the finisher's spreadsheet.

Thank you.

Sorry for bumping this, if you only need the finishing turn number in a PM, let me know so I don't bother.

Anyway

Spoiler :
Fairly uneventful turtle game. I'm beginning to wonder if I might just need to untick Science Victory to be able to make this more fun. As is, any Civ can use the same gameplan and same tech path and same diplomacy tricks and quietly take the game away.

Only noticeable thing, Alex was the darling of the map, even though he was in constant war all game.
Spoiler :

He offered me DoFs fairly frequently, and I was like, no, that would make everyone hate me. A couple of times in the game, I saw Harry knocking on my doors, and I was like, oh well, there goes all my gold. Worst of all, Harry and Alex were buddies and even had a RA going at one point but then Harry decided my gold was worth more than a friend, so yeah, Alex hated him since :D

And that was probably the turning point, Harry would have likely squished me easily but money is a better defense than every army you can get.

Nobody else was a problem at any point, Becky, Nappy and Poca were cool, in fact, it was Poca's gold that bought me the win. I borrowed cash from him in small to medium chunks, waited for that Commerce policy to open up so I can get a discount for buying stuff :D If I had another GS saved up, that would have shaved off some 10 turns, but nobody wanted to vote for Science funding, whelp, and Porcelain tower got sniped somehow. Still, it was a fairly good culture output because I got Sistine and Neusch

Endgame stats and finishing screen in attachment. Took 325 to finish. Morocco is a fairly crap civ to play, their UA is eh, Kasbah is semi useful, and I didn't even make Berbers

Attachments

• demog.jpg
    demog.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 97
  • desert turtle.jpg
    desert turtle.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 66
  • good alex.jpg
    good alex.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 313
Well done Stormtrooper! Sorry you did not have a lot of fun playing this map. You were not alone. This was the least popular of the maps I submitted. However, do not underestimate Morocco's UA. While nothing like as good as Arabia, it will attract more friendship, especially early game.

Oh, and for everyone else, bumping the thread is a good way of drawing my attention, and we should definitely see your write-up if you made one. But send the PMs anyway, just in case.

Sorry for bumping this, if you only need the finishing turn number in a PM, let me know so I don't bother.

[/spoiler]

No apologies allowed for bumping and posting your game. I did the same thing when going back and playing the older maps. It would be great if you gave the older maps a full write-up…..no need to be brief.

On this map, I'm curious who got

Spoiler :
the 500 GPT for finding El Dorado

and who didn't. I did not, and also didn't win this game. I think it was a factor.

I'm pretty sure it's 500 Gold, not GPT :p

But yeah, it's a good question. I'm afraid I didn't get it. I think Denmark will find it first in most playthroughs. I went East and started messing with Boudicca straight away.

I did not get the 500 gold as well. I think North was the last place I scouted even though many games I build 2 to 3 scouts I do not scout as much as most players do. I usually bring them back home or delete them once I get tired of having to constantly worry about where to send them. Many games they are costing me too much time or gold or if I am going honor I want them in my cities.

No apologies allowed for bumping and posting your game. I did the same thing when going back and playing the older maps. It would be great if you gave the older maps a full write-up…..no need to be brief.

On this map, I'm curious who got

Spoiler :
the 500 GPT for finding El Dorado

and who didn't. I did not, and also didn't win this game. I think it was a factor.

Spoiler :
I did :D

I have no idea why I went north, I just bumped into free 500 gold

Lost a turn 276 Diplomatic defeat.

Spoiler :
Alexander had all city states by around turn 200. With him having 525000 in the bank, I couldn't dent his control at all (he was hundreds ahead of me on relations for each), and lost on the first round of World Leader votes. As I understand it, this is a little unusual, but does happen. Would I have been better off sending all my spies to try and coup to prevent this outcome, as opposed to make inroads with gold? Or was it a lost cause?

OK, I see how that could work. If I understand correctly, the CS's I've bought and couped can't be bought if they are at war (but can be couped?), which buys me some time.

OK, I see how that could work. If I understand correctly, the CS's I've bought and couped can't be bought if they are at war (but can be couped?), which buys me some time.

Yeah but they can be swiped by a third party and then returned to their previous ally :)

Lost a turn 276 Diplomatic defeat.

Spoiler :
Alexander had all city states by around turn 200. With him having 525000 in the bank, I couldn't dent his control at all (he was hundreds ahead of me on relations for each), and lost on the first round of World Leader votes. As I understand it, this is a little unusual, but does happen. Would I have been better off sending all my spies to try and coup to prevent this outcome, as opposed to make inroads with gold? Or was it a lost cause?

In the one game out of 20 that Alex actually works out what he should do and plays properly, there is almost no way to stop him, unless you have the best army cuz you've been going DomV. Playing peacefully, there is nothing you can do really.

In the one game out of 20 that Alex actually works out what he should do and plays properly, there is almost no way to stop him, unless you have the best army cuz you've been going DomV. Playing peacefully, there is nothing you can do really.

Thats game for Alexander already. At that time, Alexander already has it done because he has all his city states bought it is best if youd quit..

Thats game for Alexander already. At that time, Alexander already has it done because he has all his city states bought it is best if youd quit..

Yes, that's exactly what I said. But it doesn't always happen like that. Sometimes he has 100k in the bank and isn't doing anything with it :D

Top Bottom