The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #19 - Greece

stormtrooper412

Peacemongering Turtlesaur
You - Greece
Total Civilizations - 7
Total City States - 18
Map – Pangaea
Settings – Quick Movement / Quick Combat (turn it off if you like)
Barbs - Normal
Standard Map / Standard Pace
Starting Era - Ancient
Game Version - Civ V BNW

DLC – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Mongolia, Denmark, Spain,
The Inca Empire, The Polynesian Empire, Babylon, Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World.
The map packs are intentionally excluded. Or at least I think I did.

Starting Location

Spoiler :

Some preliminary info:

Having my big league debut, I'd like to remind that we all hate this guy like the plague so I tried to mix something interesting.

Some general guidelines and advice:

1. It might be a good idea to go Scout/Monument/Scout/Scout on this before branching out, because it's obviously an imperative to meet EVERYONE as early as possible.

2. Taking out your neighbors is generally recommendable on this map.

3. The Civ/CS balance was a bit weighted, but I feel the choice of Civs will compensate. Play according to that.

Schedule

Spoiler :
Game #1 - July 23rd as Japan
Game #2 - August 6th as Poland
Game #3 - August 20th as Ottomans
Game #4 - September 3rd as Arabia
Game #5 - September 17th as Brazil
Game #6 - October 1st as Denmark
Game #7 - October 15th as Songhai
Game #8 - October 29th as Sweden
Game #9 - November 13th as India
Game #10 - November 26th as Russia
Game #11 - December 10th as Germany
Game #12 - December 24th as Aztecs
Game #13 - January 7th as Egypt
Game #14 - January 18th as France
Game #15 - January 25th as Austria
Game #16 - February 7th as Siam
Game #17 - February 14th as Venice
Game #18 - February 28th as Iroquois

Information & Rules

Spoiler :
All games in this series will be set to IMMORTAL difficulty.

User civilizations, maps, and opponents will change each game, but the pace will always be set at standard and the starting era will always be ancient. We will try for a variety of starts, and not just having a crazy warmonger as your next door neighbor (although there will be that too). This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.

Who can play?

Anybody can play. The more the merrier. Even if you normally don't play immortal games you are still welcome to try. The games can become great learning resources for the player trying to improve. Even if you don't finish the game, we are still interested to hear about your experience.

Do's and Don'ts?

We are going to be using the honor system. Feel free to restart, reload, play the same game multiple times, but don't use the science overflow exploit. Also please don't edit the game in IGE. If you do chose to cheat, please don't share your results in the comments. Also, please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, comment about neighboring civs, close by wonders, or locations of ancient ruins.

Also, please tell us about your Build Order, Social Policies, Tech Order, and what type of wonders you went after. I know a lot of this stuff seems pretty mundane to the experienced player, but the details are incredibly useful to people trying to learn.

Future Games in the Series

Spoiler :
I want users to submit saves from turn 0. Preferably the person submitting the game has played enough turns to know the map is either difficult, fun, or unique in some enjoyable way. Write a short description as to why it is special and email the save to:

immortalchallengelineup@gmail.com

Important Information

If you submit a game for the challenge, you must have the DLC map packs disabled. Not everybody has them and they are honestly kind of useless. Having them disabled will allow more participants.

Attachments

• ICL19.Civ5Save
    502.9 KB · Views: 279
  • greek.jpg
    greek.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 1,309
Edit: this post is no longer relevant. The map has been replaced with a non-OCC map.

Looks like a nice start and I like playing Greece. Think I will settle on gem and go liberty/honor

To make it interesting I'll try to get Parthenon in Athens. We-ll see. I'm on!
:lol:

Turn 66

Spoiler :
Had 6 turns left on Parthenon when Enrico finished it at turn 66. The very turn our declaration of friendship ends I'll storm his lands and take what is mine. Now I'll try to get Pyramids before NC...

Bo capital: scout/scout/monument/shrine/library/settler/settler/settler
Bo expos: monument/libary

Tech: Belined Drama (for no good reason) After that, all lux-techs except sailing before philosopy.

Going for full liberty first, then left side honor before rationalism.

Turn 114

Spoiler :
Turn 100+ late NC due to the failed effort of getting Parthenon. After NC i build units in my expos. The 2+ faith from gems pantheon got me a religion with Pagodas.

With an army of 6 comp bows, 3 hopelites and 3 companion riders I attacked Venice. He had pikemen and a calleass in the capital but for some reason he didn't use it. I only lost one composite bow in the fight and now Venice is mine! I will annex it asap.

I don't know what to do next, nor what vc.. we'll see.

Turn 167

Spoiler :
Man oh man...

Taking Venice sure pissed off the world. The turn after I got dowed by Portugal, Siam & Sweden. Spartas defense was not ready for this and I lost it to Portugal. I managed to take it back as soon as my army found it's way over...

My no1 problem is gold since I can't really trade. I manage to get Manchu Pichu in one of my expos and that sure helps. The culture is flowing and since my tech went i slow motion (due to lack of gold) I almost filled the whole honor-tree before renaissance. Since I need every gold i can get I figured i'll filled it before opening rationalism...

Still no vc in mind. I'll keep on defending myself against whoever sends their units. Genghis is on killing CS:s pissing everybody off. I will probably go for domination.

the theme of this was "who will own the most city states by the end" if anyone still didn't notice

in my game, I went full Piety and picked Pilgrimage and Holy Warriors, and later Evangelism. Once it snowballs, I'll mass an army pretty quickly and liberate all the CSs

Has the original map been changed for a non-OCC one? Or not?

Yes, the new map is not OCC.

T369 SV

Spoiler :
I played out the original map and it was actually quite enjoyable. I had a pretty easy turtle to t350ish science victory. Playing this map actually took me longer because I tried to go wide and settled cities in locations that were hard to defend. I didn't like the original start location, so I decided to walk to the Petra spot near Venice. I then foward-settled Genghis and both Marias. This caused me many wars throughout the game.

I had to fight off a double-DOW from Mongolia and Portugal in the Renaissance, Austria in the industrial era, then a Venice/Portugal DOW in the modern era. You can see how well that ended for Venice, but the constant fighting meant I didn't tech as quickly as I could have.

Too many city states got eaten by Austria or Venice, so I switched from diplo to science. I have about a 10 tech lead on Sweden, so I am pretty sure I could smash him with GDRS, XCOMs and stealth bombers, but launching the spaceship saves a couple of hours of clicking.

Attachments

• 2015-03-15_00003.jpg
    2015-03-15_00003.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 303
Looks like a perfect map to try Honor/Commerce. How do I do that, again?

Good, so it went according to plan
Not even. After certain one decided to nab a CS, I DoW'ed him, liberated the CS, and started rolling. t181 DomV. First time Greece... are they that strong? Or is it because it's Immortal? I am actually not a warmonger at all and I took my time to slowly munch through all those civs, but it was really easy. Amazing UA, must I say.

Attachments

• Untitled111.jpg
    Untitled111.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 299
Not even. After certain one decided to nab a CS, I DoW'ed him, liberated the CS, and started rolling. t181 DomV. First time Greece... are they that strong? Or is it because it's Immortal? I am actually not a warmonger at all and I took my time to slowly munch through all those civs, but it was really easy. Amazing UA, must I say.

trying not to look at screenies since i havent played yet but it says 7 total Civs. was that the case? 6 AI plus you? if so, DomV is very tempting.

yes, 7 civs in total, you + 6 AIs, I figured an extra one wouldn't really have made much of a difference

yes, 7 civs in total, you + 6 AIs, I figured an extra one wouldn't really have made much of a difference

okay, it is indeed 7/18. since standard is 8/16 i was just curious. one less civ might make domination attractive to many, in combination with the CS situation you have devised.

t117
Spoiler :
I halted the Hun DCL as I cleared my continent, and didn't really feel like warring overseas right away. So started this one, so I could war right away! :crazyeye:

Settled the silver, expo'd the silver towards Venice to get closer and make an eventual road more worthwhile, horrible production. Venice was kind enough to build me Gr Light, Parthenon, SH, and ToA. Didn't have enough CBs (only 4), so lost one, a warrior, and a Hoplite. Took it with an elite Scout! Have annexed it and hope for Pyramids in 7 turns, it is by far my best city. Lux are horrible on this map, nothing but gems and silver. Might plop a junk city W of Lisbon just to citadel and take it (SoZ inside!). Got double DOW'd by Port and Rahm after taking Venice. Everybody hates Khan, I can't get full trades even from him. Have filled a dozen quests, mainly returning workers for Lhasa and Florence.

Built a Shrine early after meeting Lhasa, took God-King as I wasn't sure if I'd get a religion (probably should have taken happy Shrines). Took Tithe and Mosques. Venice has culture pastures, so that helps a bit. Filled Honor first, opened Liberty. Still last in military - I know I should be building more units but just finished NC 5 turns ago... Austria has GW, which is cool as I plan to go counter-clockwise, so should have Arty by then. I would have liked to expo again NW, near the citrus (unique lux), but there are no additional hills to help with the choke point. Taking Austria (w/o GW) would have been a much easier route.

Nothing more irritating than Maria I's greeting, ugh. I should edit the sound file!

Attachments

• 2015-03-16_00003.jpg
    2015-03-16_00003.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 1,074
I am curious as to why people other people chose to go after Venice first. You are eliminating an entire civ and getting massive hate while accomplishing very little. The most annoying thing Enrico can do is puppet a CS, but that is really minor, and most of the game he has negligible military and is easily killed. I took him out 4th with new unpromoted units and without breaking a sweat.

I am curious as to why people other people chose to go after Venice first. You are eliminating an entire civ and getting massive hate while accomplishing very little. The most annoying thing Enrico can do is puppet a CS, but that is really minor, and most of the game he has negligible military and is easily killed. I took him out 4th with new unpromoted units and without breaking a sweat.

Puppeting a CS is not minor, in my opinion. It takes the CS permanently out of the game - super annoying.

The hate's not horribly if you do it earlier eras, in my experience.

yeah that's something I didn't know either until recently, if Austria marries a CS, it becomes an Austrian expansion city and it's no longer a CS, meaning if you conquer it, you can do what you want with an ordinary enemy city, even raze it. Probably the same goes for MoV bought city states

Yes it is true for MoV bought CS. One of the civs (Theo maybe?) went full Patronage in the Huns DCL game and bought a CS and I attacked and razed it for shots and goggles.

This map is kinda interesting. Nice starting dirt, classic position for a Petra spot. I'm gonna go 3/4 city Tradition for a change and see how quickly I can get a peaceful victory. Not sure yet if it'll be SV, DV or CV.

Thanks for uploading :)

Regarding your comment on starting dirt, lets just say I went "Full KB" on this one. I anticipate a largely peaceful game with a couple of notable exceptions. Lets just say one AI cannot be suffered to live, and another ... well there will be lots of CS liberations.

Top Bottom