The Community Deity Game #9 - Brazil

Blatc

Prince
CDG 9 - Brazil a.k.a. Rumble in the Cultural Jungle: Builders Edition

Map type, settings, and opponents:
Spoiler :
Pangaea map type. Everything is set to standard; this map was not altered in any form. Opponents are random

Difficulty:
Spoiler :
Medium

Starting location:
Spoiler :

Designated Victory Condition: CULTURE

Achievements
Spoiler :
A. Build* as many as you can of the following World Wonders: Sistine Chapel, Globe Theatre, Uffizi, Louvre, & Broadway
*hard-build or GE; conquering does not count
a) 1 = 1 point
b) 2 = 2 points
c) 3 = 3 points
d) 4 = 4 points
e) 5 = 6 points

B. Spread your religion! Points based on # of cities following your (self-founded) religion
a) 3rd most popular religion = 1 point
b) 2nd most popular religion = 2 points
c) most popular religion = 4 points

C. Produce, through any means, the following number of Great Writers/Artists/Musicians:
a) at least 3 each = 1 point
b) at least 4 each = 2 points
c) at least 5 each = 3 points
d) at least 6 each = 5 points

D. Enjoy 100+ turns of Carnival = 3 points

Maximum of 18 points from achievements

Links to previous games in CDG series:
Spoiler :
CDG1: Persia - Released Oct 31st, 2015 - Map Created by Consentient -
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=557617

CDG2: Assyria - Released Nov 15th, 2015 - Map Created by Consentient -
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=558560

CDG3: Ethiopia - Released Dec 2nd, 2015 - Map Created by Consentient -
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=559515

CDG4: Spain - Released Dec 17th, 2015 - Map Created by Consentient -
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=560239

CDG5: Indonesia - Released Jan 02, 2016 - Map Created by Consentient -
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=560910

CDG6: Zulus - Released Jan 15, 2016 - Map Created by Consentient -
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=561516

CDG7: Shoshone - Released Feb 02, 2016 - Map Created by Enslingkorp -
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=562385

CDG8: Austria - Released Feb 15th, 2016 - Map Created by IronfighterXXX -
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=563063

Attachments

• Brazil T0.Civ5Save
    862.6 KB · Views: 299
I'm on around turn 20 so far:

Spoiler :
Second city going next to Mt. Sinai so I can run cargos, looking for a third city spot. Opened Piety with a culture ruin, still waiting on a pantheon, trying to decide between earth mother and one with nature. Probably go with one with nature if I get my expo soon.

Looking for a worker steal out of Rome, Going to hunt some from Valetta too. I'm going to work with 3 city piety for now and see what I can build, this game is going great so far. Built scout, monument, shrine, archer, and now working on granary before starting a settler. I've got to get another worker started soon too, but for now I'm just going to work on a core of three cities until artillary and then maybe I will scare some of the AI away. With only three cities, I should be able to keep my cities surrounded and keep the missionaries away long enough to spread on my own naturally. We shall see though, Deity AI is kind of obsessed with this...

RAGE!

Spoiler :
Missed Oracle by 2 turns, I should not have taken a small tech detour, or I should have chopped or something.

Its turn 80ish and I am working on a 3 city NC with 17 FTP and a religion. I might not finish. I dont feel like kissing deity Caesar's arse all game long. Been there, done that with Indonesia deity challenge.

Awesome! I will SIP unless warrior spots something on T0. Warrior to a hill, but which one?

Please see the CDG discussion thread about the my map for the 15th. Avoid that thread if you don't care for the navel gazing...

T297 Cultural Victory 15 points

Surprisingly not that difficult. The start is that good.

Spoiler :

Hard built all 5 wonders. No GE even needed. Sistine was easy with Acoustics beeline, and once I got Globe Theatre it meant that I was ahead of the curve for the cultural wonders.
Most popular religion. Rome next door was spamming cities and had no religion. Thanks I'll just send you some missionaries.
Got 7 natural writers, 8 natural artists, 4 natural musicians, and faith bought 2 more musicians.

Not quite 100 turns of carnival. That's actually rather hard (and unnecessary).

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
I dealt with the hyper expand Rome by bribing him to war constantly. It took half my income to do it, but the other option was to lose. Eventually I made him declare war on everyone on the map and that destroyed his relations and I avoided any further threat of DOW. The side effect of course is to slow down the other countries on the map. Ottomans were the tech leaders, and Celts were the cultural leaders.

I went full tradition into piety, openers in Aesthetics and Exploration, then Rationalism to the +1 gold for science buildings (i needed gold at that time), 6 in Freedom, then finished piety and then aesthetics. To the Glory of God is awesome.

T297 Cultural Victory 15 points

Surprisingly not that difficult. The start is that good.

Spoiler :

Hard built all 5 wonders. No GE even needed. Sistine was easy with Acoustics beeline, and once I got Globe Theatre it meant that I was ahead of the curve for the cultural wonders.
Most popular religion. Rome next door was spamming cities and had no religion. Thanks I'll just send you some missionaries.
Got 7 natural writers, 8 natural artists, 4 natural musicians, and faith bought 2 more musicians.

Not quite 100 turns of carnival. That's actually rather hard (and unnecessary).

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
I dealt with the hyper expand Rome by bribing him to war constantly. It took half my income to do it, but the other option was to lose. Eventually I made him declare war on everyone on the map and that destroyed his relations and I avoided any further threat of DOW. The side effect of course is to slow down the other countries on the map. Ottomans were the tech leaders, and Celts were the cultural leaders.

Could you post roughly what turns you finished the 5 wonders on? Globe just went T126 in my game, so I'm aiming for 3-4 now.

Approximately:
Sistine 120, Globe 136, Uffizi 150, Louvre 170, Broadway 190
The autosaves are gone so I can't tell exactly.

Edit: Maybe I got Globe because I had Rome DOW the person who wanted to build it? No way to prove for sure.

it's kind of counter intuitive to stack the wonders for artists and musicians if they could be better used for Carnivals and Concert tours, but oh well

I only filled Globe, Louvre, Broadway and Uffizi. Didn't have the great artists to fill Sistine too (I probably had them, but I used too many on unneeded carnival time). Lost Sydney Opera House which was a surprise, given I beelined Ecology, so I didn't need the musicians.

Confession: I played about 60 turns and had to start over because I had inadvertently left Rio on production mode for an extra 20+ turns, completely killing growth. With a bit of terrain knowledge, I played the game a bit differently.

Spoiler :

I took the settler for a walk East, settling within 2 tiles of Mt. Sinai. Warrior also went East and came home with a couple of workers (thanks Indonesia and barbs) and a couple of CS allies (Valleta would be allied for the entire game). Scout went West and scooped up a ton of goodie huts before becoming an archer.

1st expo went East to the river as I wanted a guild city. 2nd expo went West, next to the mountain, to provide a defensive buffer against the inevitable invasion from the city-spamming Rome. As their only neighbor, it was inevitable that they'd come knocking and i wasn't in the mood for bribing the purple bastard. An added bonus was a goodie hut that gave me Sailing, so I was able to get a trireme out exploring very early. Sadly, I was ice blocked so I only got to explore half of the map and I lost the trireme when Indonesia launched a weak invasion early game.

I got 2nd pantheon (had to wait for computer to buy a desert tile so I could buy the Sinai tile) and took Sacred Path (+1 culture from jungle). I figured I had plenty of faith and wanted to bump up the culture.....and yes, the Brazilwoody thingies looked very sexy kicking out 3 culture. The holy order of Shark Diving was the 2nd religion founded, and I took Tithe, Pagodas, then enhanced with +5 tourism from Hermitage and Religious Texts. I was thinking I'd be able to spread my religion pretty easily, but Indo and the Celts were missionary spamming early and often and it was all I could do just to get Pagodas built in my own 4 cities. Those two played religious ping pong with Sao Paulo the entire game, flipping the city something like 20 times each. I ended up using a late GP to flip 4 cities late to get the 3rd most popular religion for a cheezy 1 point.

Opened Tradition, then full Libery. I used the free GE for Chichen Itza, so the 3 points for 100+ turns of Carnival was pretty easy. I had 110 turns of Carnival plus another 19 banked when the game ended. I hard built Oracle (to help finish Liberty) and Petra (because I'm a Petra-whore and it was just sitting there) in Rio. 4 city NC was t90 and Education was t104. I completed Tradition next, with a small detour to open Rationalism so I could build PT (which I built instead of Globe as I had RA's galore in this very friendly game).

Indo DoW'd me once, but with all of the units that Valetta was gifting me (all of which got altitude training from nearby Mt. Kilimanjaro) and Valetta's own units, the field was soon littered with the corpses of Kris swordsmen, and Indo soon offered peace and DoF shortly thereafter. Portugal and the Celts were friendly from Day 1, and it seems they had mutually agreed that Isabella was the mother of Satan and they spent most of the game taking turns asking me to DoW Spain (Spain was finally wiped out around t250).

In the meantime, Rome tried one invasion around t115 but sued for peace by t110 and never again showed any aggression other than stealing 2 tiles with a GG around t280. Caesar was a total schizoid this game, as he'd bark at me often, never invade, traded fairly, and ended up asking me for DoF and then denouncing me the following turn. Although he spammed a ton of cities, he never really mounted any invasions anywhere. Useless purple pansy.

I built Sistine Chapel and Louvre for those 2 points. I probably could have had the other targeted Wonders, but the game was still in doubt mid-game so I focused more on winning than mongering. Other Wonders built were SoL, PT, SOH, Eiffel, and CN Tower in Rio and I built Neuschwhwodisghenstein in Sao Paulo.

As mentioned, this game was very peaceful. I Oxforded to Radio and got 1st ideology and took Freedom. Everyone else followed with Order (Rome went Autocracy but flipped to Order very quickly and Spain was wiped out before making an ideological choice). I was sitting there with 6 Order civs agains me alone in Freedom, but my culture was so strong this game that there was zero unhappiness for me. All of the Order civs remained friendly all the way until the end and the game ended with 6 DoF's. I never even needed to use the Foreign Legion tenant as I had so many gifted units from militaristic CS's that I wouldn't have had room for them.

I proposed WF on the 1st go-round and surprisingly didn't win (I took 2nd and that's 3 straight games and 4 of 5 where I've lost WF.....this is not normal). Fortunately, someone else proposed IG the 2nd go-round and I was able to barely win a very close contest. The timing was great on this as I was just starting to build up my tourism and it spiked to 100+ pretty quickly and never looked back. I spend the final 75+ turns in Carnival.

I had 7 GA's, 6 GW's, and 6 GM's for that 5 point bonus. The 6th GM was faith bought and I tried to send him to Portugal to speed up the end game, but everyone's land was so packed with units it took freakin forever for him to travel that short distance and he didn't arrive in Portugal until the final turn where Portugal got flipped naturally. I did a terrible job of theming, but it's hard to do when Carnival is so much of a better use of a GA, especially when you have Chichen and Freedom.

I completed 4 full Social Policies, 6 in Freedom, and had a couple in Exploration as well. This might be a personal record for social policies.

There's not much more to say as this was a pretty peaceful turtle game with diplomacy representing the most excitement. I was prepared for war, but didn't have an easy target unless I wanted to stir up the hornet's nest of Rome (I didn't).

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 10.44.36 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 9.34.26 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 10.32.47 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 10.33.11 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 10.33.43 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 10.34.00 PM.jpg

I played another session.

RAGE! :mad:

Spoiler :
I lost Sistine by 2 turns to Boudicca. But, Its around 700AD and science is good. I am starting to make the BW camps.

SD -
Spoiler :
Its OK, I think I am still in it because of my beakers. Besides, I don't think Pedro needs any wonders anyway. If I can manage it, I would like to attack someone like Gaja or better yet Boudicca, just to test out the UU.

SD -
Spoiler :
Its OK, I think I am still in it because of my beakers. Besides, I don't think Pedro needs any wonders anyway. If I can manage it, I would like to attack someone like Gaja or better yet Boudicca, just to test out the UU.

Spoiler :

Have fun. I was hoping to use Freedom's 6 FL's upgraded to Prancinhas to wreak some havoc, but my game just didn't need it. I'll be watching your storyline to see how that works out.

Top Bottom