The Community Deity Game #11 - Venice

I think this is my fastest win ever.

Spoiler :

1. Buy city states with MOV's - 1 point for every CS purchased, maximum of 5 points. 6 if done in 5 different eras. (4 points. I was about 10 turns from a 5th MoV)

2. Puppet the whole map - 5 points (6 if you never raze a city personally) (0 points. I didn't feel like going through the effort. I puppeted about 12 cities, mostly early. After that I raised all non-capitals).

3. Obtain 9 or more Great Galleas's and keep them alive until the end of the game (They can be upgraded). - 1 point for every 3 surviving Great Galleas, 3 points possible (3 points. I posted screenshot in earlier post of my 10 GG's and all of them survived).

4. Make MAD Money at some point during the game (500 gpt - 1 pt, 750 gpt 2 pts., 1000 gpt. 3 pts. (2 points grrrrr. I didn't take a screenshot of the few turns I was over 1000, but did take one when I broke through 750).

5. Build Colossus and Petra in Venice for extra trade routes - 2 pts. each, or capture them while conquering and get 1 point for each. (4 points. I beelined both techs which was a lot easier with GBR's coming out of my arse. I bought all of those tiles very early).

Bonus Achievement. Annex a city - 1 point (1* point. I'm going to give myself credit for my (attempt at a) humorous "annexed city" (see previous post)).

This game was fun. I did a full Tradition, left side of honor (wanted to get range/logistics on my Frigates ASAP). I built GL (t28) and used it to slingshot to built HG, then Petra, Colossus, Oracle, NC. I also opened up Commerce, Exploration, and Rationalism. I took 3 tenets in Exploration, and the happiness one came at a great time as my happiness went from -2 to +23 and Autocracy tenets kept me in happiness the rest of the way. I'm going to consider using Exploration more often going forward as I've been straying from my old Lib-Trad strategy.

I never built a single unit. I did take Holy Warriors and bought a few units before using the rest of my faith on 3 GP's and 3 GE's. When I built LToP, I maybe should have grabbed another MoV, but I opted for a GE as there were more Wonders coming up. All units were purchased in Venice as were all Work boats. I have never gone an entire game with the only unit built being a Scout.

My warpath was due West, taking out the southern civs before heading straight north and sweeping East with my Frigate navy. Japan was the final conquest and that location could have been difficult if I hadn't sent a few subs up to wipe out his navy before the fleet arrived. The tech advantage all game meant my units were always at an advantage and I never even got to build battleships even though I beelined the tech after Oxfording Radio and grabbing oil. Biggest challenge was the melee naval units keeping up with the Frigates as they had to heal up after taking a city. I probably should have bought a couple of more melee ships, but had thought I'd capture a few more along the way but most got killed after the conversion to Venice purple.

I got up to 16 trade routes and that's pretty powerful. Of course, with all of the warfare and Austria and Greece going Patronage (I couldn't wipe out Greece due to their inland cities), I finished up with only 5 TR's (and 3 were to Venice) due to CS pillaging even though I had tried to MoV a defensive umbrella North of Venice.

Has there ever been a game where workers were more useless?

In one of the funnier quirks of this game, WF was passed on the third WC. I didn't put a single Venice hammer into it, but my puppets had put over 450 into it and it still hadn't ended after about 15+ turns as the AI was so decimated.

Clauschwitz' Legacy was hit around t190 and it got real easy after that with all of my Frigates shooting twice.

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 2.50.28 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 7.41.41 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 7.40.39 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 7.37.55 PM.jpg

Spoiler :
Really fun game ,opened tradition, then liberty for worker,back to tradition for faster wonder and patronage for 20% resting.
After that commerce all the way and exploration
13 pts ?
I first went thru Dido that was starting to try to settle on my island,Alex was next,Genghis,Attila,Austria,Kame and Japan for last

1. Buy city states with MOV's - Bought 7 in 5 era ;6points
2. Puppet the whole map - 5 points (6 if you never raze a city personally) ? there is still some cities standing,i did not kill evybody,but i never razed a city

3. Obtain 9 or more Great Galleas's and keep them alive until the end of the game (They can be upgraded). -yes 3pts
4. Make MAD Money at some point during the game (500 gpt - 1 pt, 750 gpt 2 pts., 1000 gpt. 3 pts. no

5. Build Colossus and Petra in Venice for extra trade routes - 2 pts. each, or capture them while conquering and get 1 point for each.yes opts

Bonus Achievement. Annex a city - 1 point nope

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 111
  • ven1.jpg
    ven1.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 114
  • ven2.jpg
    ven2.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 129
Spoiler :
Really fun game ,opened tradition, then liberty for worker,back to tradition for faster wonder and patronage for 20% resting.
After that commerce all the way and exploration
13 pts ?
I first went thru Dido that was starting to try to settle on my island,Alex was next,Genghis,Attila,Austria,Kame and Japan for last

1. Buy city states with MOV's - Bought 7 in 5 era ;6points
2. Puppet the whole map - 5 points (6 if you never raze a city personally) ? there is still some cities standing,i did not kill evybody,but i never razed a city

3. Obtain 9 or more Great Galleas's and keep them alive until the end of the game (They can be upgraded). -yes 3pts
4. Make MAD Money at some point during the game (500 gpt - 1 pt, 750 gpt 2 pts., 1000 gpt. 3 pts. no

5. Build Colossus and Petra in Venice for extra trade routes - 2 pts. each, or capture them while conquering and get 1 point for each.yes opts

Bonus Achievement. Annex a city - 1 point nope

That's one of the odder looking social policy paths I've seen on here. I see the logic behind it, but I did have to do a double-take when looking at it the first time.

I'm interested in how quick top Culture players could pull off a CV here; maybe ~200?
I haven't played much lately, but opted to try this one out, though I chose to pursue Culture. The 5 culture per natural wonder can provide a big boost. I was Influential or Dominant at 224, with a natural musician born on 225 and Broadway finished on 226.
Imagine Spain on this map!!

I'm interested in how quick top Culture players could pull off a CV here; maybe ~200?
I haven't played much lately, but opted to try this one out, though I chose to pursue Culture. The 5 culture per natural wonder can provide a big boost. I was Influential or Dominant at 224, with a natural musician born on 225 and Broadway finished on 226.
Imagine Spain on this map!!

CRAP I forgot to put in the OP that I disabled Culture Victory in settings. I didn't want it to accidentally trigger when players were trying to puppet the entire map. Can you imagine trying to puppet the whole map with it turned on? I'm sorry about that, I should have put that in bold at the top. It shouldn't be too hard to island hop to victory at this point though, but I don't think anyone is going to get a pre-200 culture victory on this map...

I'm scared to think of what Spain could do on this map, I wonder if you can replace Venice with Spain in IGE? Maybe I'll just make a brand new cheesy Spain map as a bonus instead, I can think of some silly things to do with them...

Not sure why you think it would be hard to avoid winning culture. Just burn cities with hotels/great works if you think it's close. You can also trade cities to AI.

Not sure why you think it would be hard to avoid winning culture. Just burn cities with hotels/great works if you think it's close. You can also trade cities to AI.

Achievement 2 is 6 points instead of 5 if you never Raze a city. I'm sure its possible to do it, but I wanted to be safe instead of sorry. It was kind of a lose-lose situation, and since designated VC is Domination anyway I chose the easy way out on this issue. I didn't think anyone would try for a culture victory at all, but I was wrong.

I have a question about Religious Unity belief. Does it only work for CS's that you are friends or allied with? Or is it with all CS's that you are not at war with? I've never used it before (I usually take Religious Texts or sometimes I.P.) 40-something CS's on a standard sized map sounds like it might be promising.

Wild_Woojsha, I figured you'd disabled other victory conditions when the announcement didn't pop up. This series is partly about the host creating specific/unique scenarios, so that's perfectly fine. I expect you put a bunch of work into this map, so credit to you for helping keep the series going. I've gotten a bit bored with civ, but still read the forum and thought this (Culture) would be fun to try. If you do a bonus Spain map of some sort, I would definitely give that a try.

In case anyone who knows that IGE stuff is ever bored and likes this idea: I'd posted way back that I'd love to see a map (altered) with Mt. Kil. and FOY near the start, as I like to go around shooting things with arrows :) I think it'd be cool to try the Mayans and build Atlatlist from T0.

I played a game recently as the Maya, and I build atlatls from turn 0 while bee-lining Theology. They worked great for killing my neighbor and annexing his capital before I met the other AI's -- but that was only at Prince or King level.

Wild_Woojsha, I figured you'd disabled other victory conditions when the announcement didn't pop up. This series is partly about the host creating specific/unique scenarios, so that's perfectly fine. I expect you put a bunch of work into this map, so credit to you for helping keep the series going. I've gotten a bit bored with civ, but still read the forum and thought this (Culture) would be fun to try. If you do a bonus Spain map of some sort, I would definitely give that a try.

In case anyone who knows that IGE stuff is ever bored and likes this idea: I'd posted way back that I'd love to see a map (altered) with Mt. Kil. and FOY near the start, as I like to go around shooting things with arrows :) I think it'd be cool to try the Mayans and build Atlatlist from T0.

Thanks for understanding, I made sure to only disable culture since disabling victory conditions has a pretty dramatic effect on the AI's decision making. I am the same way with CIV, I haven't even finished my own map yet since I rarely have time to play it. I don't think I'd boot it up at all if not for the forums, I'm always checking what's new on here while at work.

I love IGE, and I plan on having more fun with it in the future. It's so much easier to use than I was expecting. I can only imagine how crazy a Mayan start with 6 KSM, FOY, and Mt. Kil. would be. 1 Atlatist per turn all game long??? I guess the city would have to start at pop 6 too for that to happen though. We might have to start a bonus series for those of us who like to cook. The Chef's Deity Cookoff? Anyway, I'm slowly being inspired to cook cheesy maps like this one for every Civ in the game, and it takes me a lot less time to build and unleash my crazy creations than to actually play them, so I think I'll be pumping them out soon when I have some spare time.

Haha, I actually did rearrange GW plenty to avoid CV in this game :)

But, if you had put in the OP - I probably wouldnt have noticed it anyway

I love IGE, and I plan on having more fun with it in the future. It's so much easier to use than I was expecting. I can only imagine how crazy a Mayan start with 6 KSM, FOY, and Mt. Kil. would be. 1 Atlatist per turn all game long??? I guess the city would have to start at pop 6 too for that to happen though. We might have to start a bonus series for those of us who like to cook. The Chef's Deity Cookoff? Anyway, I'm slowly being inspired to cook cheesy maps like this one for every Civ in the game, and it takes me a lot less time to build and unleash my crazy creations than to actually play them, so I think I'll be pumping them out soon when I have some spare time.

Don't forget Lake Victoria, so your city can still grow while working those mines.

I have a question about Religious Unity belief. Does it only work for CS's that you are friends or allied with?
Yes. From Religion: Enhancer Beliefs:
the requirement that you be friends with the targeted city-state makes this belief somewhat less useful than Itinerant Preachers and Religious Texts

I love IGE, and I plan on having more fun with it in the future. It's so much easier to use than I was expecting. I can only imagine how crazy a Mayan start with 6 KSM, FOY, and Mt. Kil. would be.
My own strong preference is for maps that are not beyond the realm of possibility. So I long for a game where I have a very strong melee UU and settle both FOY and Kilimanjaro. A map with Multiple instances of the same NW does not really appeal to me. That might just be me.

Question (to anyone who has puppeted the whole map)
How many cities did you end up with?

108 cities, basically any spot that could have a city, had one. I knew that would happen. +80 happiness at the end. But, it took longer than you.

108 cities, basically any spot that could have a city, had one. I knew that would happen. +80 happiness at the end. But, it took longer than you.

I played 94 turns last night, almost to education. I am so rusty, I should have had universities 3 turns ago. I'm going to try something silly and hold off on all wars until XCOMS/Stealth bombers. I may break early and go in with battleships and bombers, but I want to wait and see how many cities they can build before its time to end things. After all, I'm a peaceful person...:coffee:

How long do you wait before buying the first CS? At deity level, don't they get the same discounts as the AI's do? So I'd think you would want to just play one city as long as possible so they can build more units and buildings.

I played about 100 turns last night, but I don't have any experience at deity level to know how I'm doing. The AI's are busy grabbing every little scrap of land (especially trying to settle my on island as close as they can get to Venice) and one of them is very aggressively trying to stamp out my religion -- no idea how she's getting so many prophets.

It's been peaceful so far. But even with HG, aqueduct, all those GBR's, and a university I'm starting to fall way behind in science -- and the AI's are still stealing from me. Might need to start over and try a different strat.

Top Bottom