End of Empires - N3S III

Disappointing for Hamakua, but your update superbly captured the sweep of history. :hatsoff:

Great update, NK! Shame that the famine hit so many people, but still, it was good. One thing, your second political map (the one after the famine and the iron age) isn't working. Also, when the heck did my people become mercenaries?

One thing, your second political map (the one after the famine and the iron age) isn't working.

Strange. I'll look into it later on; Imageshack might merely be malfunctioning.

Also, when the heck did my people become mercenaries?

About four hundred years ago, why? :p They were available, and your country was starting to be boxed in by the Treha, so the kings decided they might as well send some young men off to die.

Wounds of the Past

“My fellow Chiefs, the Eastern Foe is on his knees. We have proven that we tread the Great Path! Oporria is on our side! Let our age old enemies feel the power of the elephant. Let them tremble when we march, stomping our way to victory!” A Chief yelled.

There was a great clamor in the Chamber of Chiefs. Many wished to eliminate the threat of Thearak. Others wished to focus on re-building the Republic of Duroc and prepare defenses incase of another Thearaki attack. Suddenly, Chief Bonto II, Chief Bonto’s great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson stood up.

“My friends, we can crush the evil Thearak rather easily. All it takes is common sense. We have better access to tin. We have superior number and skill when it comes to elephants. And finally, Thearak has made many enemies. The Duroc probably hates Thearak as much as we do. The Kingdom of Piatrata has risen out of the south. No doubt the hold some ill will towards their former oppressors. Barbarians are attacking out of the mountains, bringing plagues with them. If we can utilize these advantages, victory will be assured!” Bonto II said.

“But my brothers,” an old Chief weakly said, “The Moti to the north have taken Lumada lands. Surely this is a problem that must be dealt with.”

“Indeed,” said Bonto II, “We must do something about Moti. Clearly they wish for more power. And that’s what we will give them. Alert them of our plans against Thearak. Tell them that half of Thearaki land will be given to them. After this war the Moti will probably settle down, too exhausted from war.” Bonto answered.

So it was decided. Preparations against Thearak had begun.

To: The Kingdom of Piatrata

Tell us, do you wish to claim the riches that you deserve? Long ago, Thearak conquered you lands in a selfish act of brutallity. Now that Thearak is weakened, you can finally strike back. Think of it. People will wonder. "Who was the glorious nation that brought thearak to its knees?" And everyone will shout "Piatrata!" Not only glory awaits you on this path. If you join us in destroying Thearak you will have to expand your throne room just to fit all of the ivory you will have.

To: Moti and The Republic of Duroc

My friends, our alliance has paid off. Together we have fended off Thearak's attacks. Now, Thearak is on its deathbed. Now is the time to strike! We can finally destroy our age old enemy! Krato wishes for no land. However, any land that was formerly Duroc will be returned to the Republic. Any lands other then that conquered by Krato will be given to Moti.

To: The Scum of the East (Thearak)

Prepare your armies! Too long have we tolerated your presence. Now we will expell you over-grown barbarians from this world.

Oh, I forgot to mention, not only do I want city names, I also want some feature names, since I'm running out, fast, and a lot of these details ought to be named ("the Four Peninsulas" is a really stupid name, as is "an island in the Lovi Sea").

I'm thinking twenty, but it might be fifty to keep a quick pace.

All right. I just need to know for story purposes, as I will have three stories separated by long stretches of time (at least 10 years each) but connected. Even aside from that, I think the Iron Age would be pretty slow in twenty year increments, especially given that most of the world doesn't even have iron yet.

Some place names: Sinsar, Marionid, Callonar, Safarda

To The Uggor
Has Istria led you astray? Listen to your heart Oporria abhors such violance against fellow beleivers, we should seek to enlighten those that do not know of his wisdom and path of guidance.

We will defend our lands, but we will seek an end to this madness you call revenge.

OOC: Remember you are of the same religion, at least in a large part.

Ah, the map's working now.

EDIT: From now on, to Stad Men, the peninsula we are on is called the Aortian Peninsula.

To The Uggor
Has Istria led you astray? Listen to your heart Oporria abhors such violance against fellow beleivers, we should seek to enlighten those that do not know of his wisdom and path of guidance.

We will defend our lands, but we will seek an end to this madness you call revenge.

OOC: Remember you are of the same religion, at least in a large part.

You say Oporria abhors such violence, yet your ancestors have commited acts of trechery far greater than what we're going to do. Promises of eternal peace were made. Said promises were broken. While the Uggor wish to be peaceful, Thearak has proven to be untrustworthy and greedy over the ages. Your people are free to surrender, but any resistance will be met with fierce warriors and raging elephants. We wish it didn't have to come to war between followers. We will not harm the city of Opios, for it is holy. No battle should ever have to be fought there.

OOC: I knew that. If you read my story one of the Chiefs mentions Oporria and The Great Path.

And what was so rediculous about remembering a blatant betrayal? Your ancestors promised our ancestors peace and prosperity. What our people got was war. Your people may forget things as soon as they pass, but Uggorains don't forget grudges so easily. And it is also kind of hard to forget when a good part of our warrior and mahout families record battles and wars their family was in. Thearak is mentioned alot in the war records.

Inneby had meant to do it. He had no idea he would get caught. Screw convention, Ofurdegg was his and only his. Lujokofy had no right to take her like he did. A smile came over him as remembered what had happened. Right in the middle of the crowded market. Twenty years ago, he could have killed the man in Ditiyukl, and nobody would have known. They might have noticed his little 'indulgence' before and soon after, but still nothing would have happened. But Blemmy and Eykeyv have been copying southern ways. The 'right' ways. The Irevaggltuyla, Irevagg's protectors of pease, were greedy, corrupt and inefficiant. Why in the name of Sinr were they half way compotent that day? Before Inneby knew, he was in Lemdeh.

Second only to Ditiyukl, Lemdeh was the largest settlement in the lands controlled by the Ederru. However, if you include the necropolis below the city, it was the largest in the north. Inneby was in a moderately sized cavern, with a lake taking up most of the floor. He sat in a small lit alcove near the 'coast' of the lake. Inside the lake were silvery shapes, blind salmanders called Dehmhek(to) that swam in such a fashion, that the Ederru people claimed that they must be the ghosts of the dead, entering Deh.

Five days passed before Inneby got hunger pangs. He had secretly drank from the lake, despite being preached not to. Scant hours ago, attendants had lain another to rest. Three days must pass before anyone else is to set foot in the cavern now. He would be alone for three days. Because fate can be cruel, it turned out the man they lay to rest was the man he killed, raped and practised necrophillia on. Anger boiling inside him at this mockery, the only heat in the cold cave, he got up and looked for the most likely Dehmhek that was Lujokofy. Hoping he found his quarry, he bit it as hard as he could. Bitter juices rolled down his throat. He ripped the white flesh from the fragile bones. He drank cavern water to wash away the taste.

The priests found his body face down in the water three days later, nibbled on by the Dehmhek. No-one knew what killed him. Some said it was the Dehmhek's natrual poison. Others said it was a bone got stuck in his throat. The theory the priests subscribe to was the spirit of the fallen finally had it's revenge on the evil-doer. But it does send the same message as true as anywhere in the universe: At Lemdeh, don't drink the water.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
City names (if applicable):
Spoiler :
Ditiyukl (existant)
Lemdeh (existant)
Lmehugu
Jemy
Orruyask
Esomm
Eyamray

And what was so rediculous about remembering a blatant betrayal? Your ancestors promised our ancestors peace and prosperity. What our people got was war. Your people may forget things as soon as they pass, but Uggorains don't forget grudges so easily. And it is also kind of hard to forget when a good part of our warrior and mahout families record battles and wars their family was in. Thearak is mentioned alot in the war records.

Your ideals are comendable, if a bit ridiculous. You wish to make revenge on us, because our fathers father father father fathers Grandfather made war upon the Duroc, and our fathers fathers fathers fathers fathers fathers fathers fathers fathers fathers fathers fathers Grandfather made a promise to you?

There is a longstanding rivalry between the Uggor and Thearak, reinforced by numerous wars. It's not inconceivable that the Uggor could still be saying, "they betrayed us," though no one would honestly remember what exactly the betrayal was.

Oh, I forgot to mention, not only do I want city names, I also want some feature names, since I'm running out, fast, and a lot of these details ought to be named ("the Four Peninsulas" is a really stupid name, as is "an island in the Lovi Sea").

I'll name them all.

The imposing walls of Gallasa loomed before her. Last she left this city, her father had been with her, but Risa was on her own now. Her father graced only a headstone in the desert just out of sight of the life-giving waters of Pekorova. She had been despondent then, but her path was set before her now. She could pick up the pieces and move on. And she had done so. The caravan train was hers now for many long slogs across the desert to come. She was nineteen.

The gates pulled open as if to draw her in, to the home of her childhood. The horses were still spry, picked up in Ferman as replacements for the tired desert camels. The caravan proceeded forward with hardly a moment’s stopping. Risa wondered for a moment if she could even find the king’s market. Or if her mother was still alive and tending the shop there. She had much to sell, and a shop of the family’s own would aid in that. And the kings always paid mightily for news form the south, knowing to come to her mother’s shop when the caravans returned, but Risa could not be so certain that nothing had changed.

She had much news to sell as well. News of the collapse of empires: this might have reached the north already by boat, for it was old news in Trilui. And certainly the scarcity of tin had become a tale heard throughout the northern lands. She had sold a bronze wheel in Ferman for two farmers’ fortunes. But what news she had might lighten the hearts of kings, she knew, and now it was to be hoped that the king (Allato still, she had learned) would come calling to purchase such knowledge. The news of iron, unknown in Ferman and also here from what she had seen.

The king’s market opened up before her. It seemed smaller than it once had. It was less grand than what might be found across the desert, and she had been smaller seven years ago. A cry rang across the square, and a woman hurtled from nowhere to hug her.

“Risa! Oh, my darling Risa, you’ve returned! You’ve been longer than your father ever took before. Come, come inside, the princess herself will be here just this afternoon to bargain!”

Risa allowed herself a smile, a sad one. She would break her mother the most ill news that she could hardly stand the fussing.

“But where is your father?”

…

First in a series of three. It'll be more clear what this is about after another story. I'm not a huge fan of how this turned out, but I have better plans for the later ones.

@Abaddon I am sad to see you being damaged my dear ally. I can, to somehow help you, make sure a Serat noble recieves a province from me as my vassal?

Dear boy, Serat twinkled out of exhistance a few hundred years ago.. I doubt there are any about ;)

Also, you are aware your nation has shrunk right down aswell right?

Spoiler map! :

Anyway, I hereby claim the Nation of Jania.

Top Bottom