World War III 1984

countmc

Chieftain
Working on new scenario, basically the premise is WWIII book by John Keegan.

Working on the unit placement and I have question. Do you create an AA unit or just stick with AA city improvement.

I know it could have a major effect on game play. I am kind of the mind to act like the AA units are attached to the other land units and not make it a separate unit. What does everybody else think?

Attachments

• WWIII84.jpg
    WWIII84.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 413
  • WWIII842.jpg
    WWIII842.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 254
  • WWIII843.jpg
    WWIII843.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 185
  • WWIII844.jpg
    WWIII844.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 234
Why are Yugoslavia, Albania, and Finland Warsaw Pact countries and Sweden a NATO at start? Otherwise, the screenies look good so far. And, in my opinion, I'd use the improvement for city aerial defense and units like the M270 and ZSU-23, and possibly, for lower-tech armies in more far-flung areas, Stingers, ideally for battlefield air defence. Obviously, however, there's no way to stop an AI from stacking those units in cities, so, as I said, it's more of an ideal.

The limitations of Civ 2, with only 7 powers (8 with barbarians) I made editorial decisions to lump Sweden with the EU and then put Yugoslavia and Albania with the Soviet Bloc.

Anyone will be playable, I got most of the unit placement, city placement, and graphics done. Just working on tech tree. Which is usually the hardest part for me.

Goal is to be a simple mass war scenario in line with the old ww79 scenario from the fantastic worlds cd.

Other than a NATO, Warsaw Pact, Neutral or Pro-Western (I can't tell which), Islamist (I think), and Indian player, that I can gather from the screenshots, what are the other two (Chinese, I'd assume might be one?), and what do the Barbarians represent?

USA, Soviet Bloc, Neutral Alliance, Islamic Confederation, PRC, European Union, India, and the Barbarians are a everything else (mostly Africa and Latin America).

Neutral Alliance are pro-US nations outside of Europe (Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Israel, South Africa, Singapore, and Iran).

Basically a worldwide war, I wanted to keep the complexity of the main part of the NATO alliance being an ocean away from the action so Western Europe and US are separate. I took creative license to combine some errant forces also because of the lack of options with CIV II, so Sweden is part of the European Union and Finland joins the WARPAC.

I got the unit placement and city placement and terrain done, just working on tech tree and unit stats.

One place I am having trouble though. I have three types of 'planes', Fighter plane, Attack Fighter, and strategic bomber. The strategic bomber is only available to the US and Soviet Union. Everyone has fighter planes and they operate the same as fighters. I am trying to figure out the unit stats for an attack-fighter.

Here is an example of the 'attack-fighter': Soviet- SU-25 Frogfoot, US- A-10 Warthog.

I was thinking of not giving those planes the bomber flag but keep with the fighter flag but have a high attack number and low defensive number. Anyone else know how to handle tagging this?

\

USA, Soviet Bloc, Neutral Alliance, Islamic Confederation, PRC, European Union, India, and the Barbarians are a everything else (mostly Africa and Latin America).

Neutral Alliance are pro-US nations outside of Europe (Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Israel, South Africa, Singapore, and Iran).

Basically a worldwide war, I wanted to keep the complexity of the main part of the NATO alliance being an ocean away from the action so Western Europe and US are separate. I took creative license to combine some errant forces also because of the lack of options with CIV II, so Sweden is part of the European Union and Finland joins the WARPAC.

I got the unit placement and city placement and terrain done, just working on tech tree and unit stats.

One place I am having trouble though. I have three types of 'planes', Fighter plane, Attack Fighter, and strategic bomber. The strategic bomber is only available to the US and Soviet Union. Everyone has fighter planes and they operate the same as fighters. I am trying to figure out the unit stats for an attack-fighter.

Here is an example of the 'attack-fighter': Soviet- SU-25 Frogfoot, US- A-10 Warthog.

I was thinking of not giving those planes the bomber flag but keep with the fighter flag but have a high attack number and low defensive number. Anyone else know how to handle tagging this?

\

Since you're using CAS aircraft for your "attack fighters" why not just relabel them as CAS Aircraft?

Just one more question about nation division, and one, I'm afraid, that often gets resolved in a way some 'unsatisfactory,' esthetically, to Canadian players like me (and quite possibly BC1871, since he also posted) - where does Canada fit in: the Neutral Alliance, or lazily and so typically lumped with the US? ;)

Modern armies have lavish AA complements at the division level and even below, so individual AA units are unnecessary in a scenario of this scale. Major integrated air defence systems would be restricted to major cities, so the AA improvement makes the most sense. You might even restrict the AA improvement to a few at-start cities, and not allow it to be built during the game.

What range are you planning to use with your ground attack aircraft? If you use 2, it attacks once and flies home the next turn. If you use 1, then it can attack multiple times using 1 MF for each attack and must return to base the same turn. The reason is that the various factors would likely be different depending on your choice. Firepower and hits are as important as attack and defense factors.

The scenario looks good, btw.

I went with Canada controlled by the US player. I could make them neutral, but when you consider NORAD jointly controlled US and Canadian airspace in defense of Soviet bombers/missiles, and the fact most US convoys would take off from Halifax for Europe it made more since.

I did create a Canadian Infantry unit to represent the Canadian brigade based in Germany.

AA is anti-aircraft. The improvement would be the SAM Missile Battery (or whatever he'd rename it to). An AA unit is usually a defense-only (no attack value) land unit, sometimes immobile, that has the x2 vs. air flag.

I am trying to edit the technology part of the rules, the technologies after 'future tech.' are the ones I am using as the 'not US/ not Soviet/ etc.' techs. Unfortunately, when I go to edit the tech of the different nations in game the extra techs after future tech do not show up.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

You have to give the prerequisites of 'nil' first, as though you could research them at the start of a fresh new basic game, cheat them to the civ's you want to have them, then go back and turn their prerequisites to 'no.' If they're at 'no' to start with, they won't appear on the give/take tech cheat menu.

Top Bottom