Petty annoyance

So, I just finished playing Civ for the day...or at least for a while. Then I did something I've been meaning to do for a while. Something I've done a hundred times before, or maybe a thousand, and found annoying every time. Not enough to do anything about, until now, and not the end of the world, obviously...

But is there some way from the load or save game menu to delete old save games? Going in through windows after I finish playing is of course easy enough, but it seems like there should be and I always wonder if I'm missing the obvious.

If there is, I've never found it either. I do my saved games deleting using the system deletion methods.

Well, after 77 views the only answer is "me neither." While that isn't definitive, I'm gonna take it as a pretty sure indication. Ah well, it is just a petty annoyance and I've put up with it for...what?...most of ten years. Life goes on.

I'm glad someone tried. But even if it worked, doing it one save at a time would have minimized it's use.

I delete old saved games all the time. I go into Windows Documents, Beyond the Sword, and one of the folders is Saves. Enter that folder and one of the folders is Single. Enter that folder and all of the saved games are listed. If you want to delete all or some of them left click on the top one you want to delete, then shift-left click on the bottom one, and Delete is one of the menu options. If there's a bunch of saves I also dump them from the Recycle Bin.

Pretty much what I do as well. Old school, but it works.

Yeah, I have always had to delete them manually. Not that they take up much space on a modern HDD. I have some old saves going back to 2009.

For others reading this thread, the saves are in My Documents, not in the place you installed Civ4.

I delete old saved games all the time. I go into Windows Documents, Beyond the Sword, and one of the folders is Saves. Enter that folder and one of the folders is Single. Enter that folder and all of the saved games are listed. If you want to delete all or some of them left click on the top one you want to delete, then shift-left click on the bottom one, and Delete is one of the menu options. If there's a bunch of saves I also dump them from the Recycle Bin.

That's the annoying part. I'm trying to think of other games where saves have to be deleted outside the game...and can't think of any.

I actually made a desktop shortcut to this folder, to speed up access to it. Double-click on the shortcut, go into the window and cleanup the files I don't want any more. Actually, what I do more often is drag a bunch of old saved games into a new subfolder, to get them out of the way. I might want to open them up again, later. :lol:

This autohotkey script tosses all but the ten most recent saves into the recycle bin (Press Numpad Delete in game or wherever)

Code:
NumpadDel::
sleep, 250
loop, files, %A_MyDocuments%\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Saves\single\*
{
     SAVES = %SAVES%%A_LoopFileTimeModified%`t%A_LoopFileFullPath%`n
}
Sort, SAVES, R
loop, parse, SAVES, `n
{
     if A_Index < 10
          continue
     if A_LoopField =
          continue
     StringSplit, PATH, A_LoopField, %A_Tab%
     FileRecycle, %PATH2%
}
return

This is a sort of related question, wondering if there's any way to change the autosave interval? Pretty sure in Civ V you could set the number of turns, but I don't think you can in IV, it would be nice because sometimes the game crashes and particularly during lategame wars it can get very annoying having to play up to 3 turns over again.

This is a sort of related question, wondering if there's any way to change the autosave interval? Pretty sure in Civ V you could set the number of turns, but I don't think you can in IV, it would be nice because sometimes the game crashes and particularly during lategame wars it can get very annoying having to play up to 3 turns over again.

Yes there is. It's in the settings somewhere. If you don't want to go searching you can wait and I'll post exactly where in a bit, since I'm pretty sure I can go right to it.

EDIT: Okay, I was wrong about being able to go right to it. In fact I might be wrong about it being in the settings in game at all. But it is in the CivIV config file in the mygames/beyondthesword file. It's about fifteen lines in and you just change the number to whatever you want.

Timsup2nothin said:
EDIT: Okay, I was wrong about being able to go right to it. In fact I might be wrong about it being in the settings in game at all. But it is in the CivIV config file in the mygames/beyondthesword file. It's about fifteen lines in and you just change the number to whatever you want.

Excellent, this is just what I wanted.

You can adjust the number of turns for Autosave and the number of Autosaves very simply in the CivilizationIV.ini.

Look for these lines and change the numbers to whatever you like. The "1" in the number of turns between saves is not what you will find, since I changed it to "1" long ago and don't remember what the default was.

; The maximum number of autosaves kept in the directory before being deleted.
MaxAutoSaves = 10

; Specify the number of turns between autoSaves. 0 means no autosave.
AutoSaveInterval = 1

The default is 4

I don't worry too much about autosaves because they are self limiting and they all delete when you start a new game anyway (I think). I just don't want to wade through any manual saves from my last game while I'm playing this game...but I seldom remember to delete them until I've waded through them innumerable times.

Top Bottom