Returning to a classic

Olleus

Deity
I played Civ from when it was released to Civ5 coming out for longer than any other computer game before or since. I loved the game and poured a lot of myself into single player games (trying to both maximise my strategy while roleplaying), multiplayer games and last but not least modding. Civ4 taught me more history than I would admit it polite company, as well as being my first experience to programming.

When Civ5 came out I switched to that, even if not with the same devotion, and haven't looked back since.

Now that Civ6 is coming out I've found myself thinking about the old greats again and feeling nostalgic towards it. Truth be told, I want to play Beyond the Sword again, go for an axeman rush powered by slavery, and cover the map with towns so I can be rich beyond my wildest dreams. But I dont even know if I still have a copy of Civ4 to hand and I am anxious about revisiting childhood heroes.

What does civfanatics say? Should I find a copy and play a couple of games, see if I still have the strategy in me? Or is it better to leave memories as just that, and patiently wait out the Civ6 on this website?

I'm the absolute opposite - I played Civ 5 first and have only just got Civ 4, but I already enjoy Civ 4 more than 5.

As for what you should do, well that is up to you (obviously). If you can pick up a copy cheap then why not; having now played Civ 5 might give you a fresh perspective on 4, or it might even cause Civ 4 to seem disappointing compared to 5.

Either way the choice is yours, but as long as time and money are not constraints I don't know why you can't enjoy Civ 4 and the forthcoming Civ 6.

Although I don't play as regularly as I used to, I will never stop playing Civ IV. It's too great a game, and the graphics will never be an issue.

I agree. Find a copy of Civ4 Complete and have fun like the old days.
Then check out the mod section and you'll realize there are entirely new twists on the same game you liked back then.
There are some mods that make only small changes, like Buffy/Bull mods.
Others that make small changes, like Pig, VIP and K-Mods.
Still others that make things more realistic, like Realism Invictus with 6 leaders in some empires, 2 Unique Units each, ethnically correct units, epidemics and a twist on the Rock/Paper/Scissors method for units to attack.

Have fun. :)

I agree. Find a copy of Civ4 Complete and have fun like the old days.
Then check out the mod section and you'll realize there are entirely new twists on the same game you liked back then.
There are some mods that make only small changes, like Buffy/Bull mods.
Others that make small changes, like Pig, VIP and K-Mods.
Still others that make things more realistic, like Realism Invictus with 6 leaders in some empires, 2 Unique Units each, ethnically correct units, epidemics and a twist on the Rock/Paper/Scissors method for units to attack.

Have fun. :)

Problem is I'm on a mac these days, which makes most of mods (and all of the .dll one's) out of bound. Considering I pretty much only played Civ4 with mods (community patch, BetterAI and a few personal ones), I think I would really struggle playing without them. Or maybe not.

I've started a new game of Civ5, once I'm done with that I'll look through my old boxes and see if I can dig out the game.

Lord Olleus:

I also use a Mac. Besides BUG, which I use all the time, there are a handful of mods that work fine on a Mac. When I want to play any of the mods that use a .dll, I launch Parallels with Windows 7 installed on it and use CIV with dll mods from there. It works just as well as when I use a dedicated Windows machine.

Top Bottom