Bribe AI with vassals to war?

BalvinParbi

Chieftain
With my friend, we are playing an ffa in multi. No teams, on Custom Continents (2) normal speed, difficulty emperor, each of us on different one, just to deal with the AI first.

We are near the modern era, my friends continent is more advanced than mine, but it doesnt matter now.
I have 4 neighbours:
Washington, Brennus (vassal of Washington), Peter, and Shaka (he is my vassal).
We have only hinduism, and all of us have it as state religion.

The relations are relatively good, i will explain it later.

The problem is, that Peter asked for the radio as tribute, i refused to give it to him, than he started to plot a war(with a good chance against me :( and already has some tanks, but sadly i dont have any anti tank)

Washington can briebed in war only if he is friendly towards me. So i decided to make some diplomatic moves to send him agains Peter and avoid the destruction of my empire.
I rushed the Cristo Redentor, switched to Free Religion, and with a spy changed Peters civic too, so he lost the religion bonus against the other guys, and the civic bonus with Brennus. Than i gifted a city to Washington (for trade relation bonuses) and i switchet back my civics to get bonuses with Washington and Brennus.
Now Washington is friendly towards me, Brennus pleased, and Peter cautious.
Washington and Brennus are pleased/friendly with Shaka.
Washington is furious and Brennus cautious on Peter. In theory Washington can be asked to declared war on Peter, but its still red with the message "We just don't like you enough".

So the war is coming and i just wasted precoius turns and cities and techs to make the ideal diplomatic relations for nothing.
Tried to kick Shaka from being my vassal, but he has nothing which can be given to
me as tribute.
Is there any hidden diplomatic numbers for this situations coming from the vassal states?
What else can i do? Mabye try to ask my friend to import some religion to Peter and switch him to it?

(the game version is civ 4 bts, build: 3.0.3.1 (77541))

Y'all aren't on the final BTS patch...3.19 ..highly recommend you do so. Not sure if there are any quirks with that particular version.

Also, recommend you use BUG/BULL or the BAT mod as it will display more of the modifiers.

Seems odd that you can't bribe Wash onto Pete, but the vassal thing here could be throwing things off. And yes, there are hidden modifiers related to that. Basically the combo of relations between two.

My guess is to look at how Wash and Brennus view Shaka. That seems to me to be the deciding factor here. Or try to get Brennus to Friendly too to offset things.

otherwise, it may be a bug in that particular version, but there is really no way to know

Thanks for your answer :)

After 10-20 turns Peter stopped the war preparations.
But for sure was Shaka to cross my way in this case. Later, when i was out of max tech trades with Brennus, but still friendly, he becomes friendly with Shaka, and we could trade again with the Brennus.

To update we have to install other versions first or it's enough to install the version 3.19 without any preparations?

To update we have to install other versions first or it's enough to install the version 3.19 without any preparations?

It depends on what is already there. Try 3.19 first. If it works you are all set. If it does not work, install 3.17 and then 3.19. If 3.17 does not install then go with the one before it (3.09 I think but not sure). However, most people have success using either 3.19 right off or after installing 3.17. You don't have to install any of the update patches to the basic CIV game or Warlords first. The BTS patches make any needed changes in them as well.

AI averages its attitude with you and its attitude with vassals, then rounds down. Friendly + pleased = pleased.

One of Civ 4's flaws, that future titles did not address so well. Hidden modifiers are not reasonable in this scenario. If Washington likes you less for having a vassal, that should show up if we're going to accept being shown other modifiers. Mechanical inconsistency is the opposite of useful.

Top Bottom