Minimap aesthetic mod

salty mud

Deity
Greetings,

I am seeking a small modification to change the Civ IV minimap. I much prefer the Civ III and Civ V style of map where the city's culture colour doesn't extend into the sea. It gives much prettier outlines of the world's empires. The maps tend to look somewhat blobby because of this. Is there a mod to change this or can the game be changed to do such a thing?

Regards

As part of my (unreleased) mod, I've made the colors lighter on water tiles; same as in the Military Advisor. That's the blue code in the snippet below. The red code would leave the water tiles uncolored. See attachment for a comparison: On top, the blue change; in the middle, the red change; on the bottom, the BtS minimap.
Spoiler :
Code:
void CvPlot::updateMinimapColor()
{
	//PROFILE_FUNC();

if (!GC.IsGraphicsInitialized())
	{
		return;
	}
	[COLOR="Red"]if(isWater()) return;[/COLOR]
	gDLL->getInterfaceIFace()->setMinimapColor(MINIMAPMODE_TERRITORY, getX_INLINE(), getY_INLINE(), plotMinimapColor(), STANDARD_MINIMAP_ALPHA
			[COLOR="Blue"]/ (isWater() ? 2 : 1));[/COLOR]
}
Edit: Of course that's only helpful if you can compile a DLL. Don't know if there's a (compiled and released) mod that does this; there might be. It certainly can be done.

Attachments

• minimap.jpg
    minimap.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,018
The middle image is exactly what I'm looking for. Is there a way to do this with the BAT Mod? Can I adjust the files myself to do this?

Regards

You'd need the BAT source code and Visual Studio for compiling the DLL. I can't find their source code. They probably just use the DLL from BULL, in which case you'd need the BULL source code. I don't think it's worth the effort unless you wanted to get into modding anyway. :undecide:

The same feature was requested last year:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10964454#post10964454
Nothing became of it, but there are (links to) instructions about compiling the DLL.

ha! I was about to write something about this was brought up before, and that I wanted to make a comment in this thread so I could come back to it and make the change in my mod, because I forgot about it last time.
I really did forget about it last time didnt I... :blush:

Oooh, I have always wanted this - that middle picture! - from the moment I first saw Civilization IV - yes, Civilization III's world map was so infinitely much better...

Would it be very annoying if I were to supply my .dll's source files (they'd simply be RevolutionDCM's source files, if that helps), with the request to edit (though I could probably do that myself) and compile (which I can't) them?

I would ideally like the city dots to not be transparent (they are in Civilization IV, but not so in Civilization III), but that might run into problems with civilisations who have white as their main colour. But, really, the middle minimap of the above pictures is more than enough.

Top Bottom