Civ1-Help/advice/assistance sought

Nimisha55

Chieftain
Tks to Kirkham7 & Theov & TJS282, for all the assistance given and offers of help. Much appreciated.
Nimisha55

Hey no worries. What you need is a copy of the game that you can buy on ebay. Once you have that, all you need is dosbox. Dosbox is a dos emulator that you can use on most if not all of the major operating systems today, and civ runs wonderfully on it without having to configure anything. Just out of curiosity, which operating system are you using? See below for links to ebay and dosbox(just click on them).

Civ 1 Dos - Buy at Ebay

Download Dosbox

Kirkham7 Hi,
Thanks for replying.
I'm on a 2ndhand Toshiba laptop=Intel CPU/2GB-RAM/1.66GHz/32-Bit/Windows Vista; none of which makes much sense to me.

As for buying from the ebay link-that will have to wait a while (long story+ it would appear you're in US while I'm in cold/wet/dready UK), until I establish myself here 1st. ID problems with banks like you wouldn't believe=circumstances...
As for link to DOS when I clicked on that, I got a message from this end that said it contained a virus, so my machine wouldn't let it in.
And I've no idea how to remove this block-or even if I should, as my total time on Internet can be measured in hours; I kid you not!
Anyway, thanks for making the effort to help; really do appreciate it.

While clicking through the various pages of this site (got lost more than once) I stumbled across a reference to 'Civ Chronicles 2006'.
Entered this on Goggle and got put through to a ebay-Uk and there were 3 offerings for this; and if I read them correctly, this 'boxset' offers all kinds of Civ 'stuff' including Civ1. Yes/No? Are you familiar with this?

Again, no ID=credit cards etc at this time, and will remain so until i establish former; then I'll try to obtain one of these sets; assuming they'll still be available.
I've waited 15+yrs to play Civ1 again a few more months won't make any difference.

Thanks again for your help, if you don't mind I'll sent you a note when I finally get Civ1as you've been kind enough to reply and indeed, are the only one to have done so.

All the best to you :goodjob:and yours for 2015.
Nimisha55

Not familiar with that one, but it looks like civ 1 for windows. Not sure if you like the windows version better than dos (I don't). Anyways, dosbox is safe, it's used by many people including me. If that link doesn't work for you, just go to dosbox.com and then go to the download page after that.

Dosbox will play it if you buy it.

The copyright has not yet expired, so it has not yet fallen into the public domain. So in my estimation it would be illegal to get it from an abandonware website.

Not familiar with that one, but it looks like civ 1 for windows. Not sure if you like the windows version better than dos (I don't). Anyways, dosbox is safe, it's used by many people including me. If that link doesn't work for you, just go to dosbox.com and then go to the download page after that.
Hi Kirkham7, I'm not in position to judge Win or DOS version. I'd guess i used DOS previously (Mid 90's PC, with Win'95? from memory) and the original is usually the best. So, on that score, if i were to buy original Civ1 from ebay(US) are PC-games/software zoned the way DVD's/Tv's are? i.e. if i bought from US would that game run on a UK-based PC?

Dosbox will play it if you buy it.

The copyright has not yet expired, so it has not yet fallen into the public domain. So in my estimation it would be illegal to get it from an abandonware website.
Hi Theov (cool logo by the way, reminds me of an owl/bird), could you clarify your message, exactly 'what' has the copyright not expired on Dosbox or Civ1? And do you mean all 'items' from this/any abandonware site are illegal?
And i'm sorry but i failed to 'get' relevance of the Gov-of-Civ3, pls explain, tks

The country where you buy the pc and/or game is irrelevant, so if you bought civ 1 dos, dosbox would play it.

Hi Theov (cool logo by the way, reminds me of an owl/bird), could you clarify your message, exactly 'what' has the copyright not expired on Dosbox or Civ1? And do you mean all 'items' from this/any abandonware site are illegal?
CivDOS is still under copyright, i.e. not yet abandonware. And while it's sometimes very difficult to find a definitive answer on what is or is not abandonware -- apart from asking the copyright holders themselves, if you know who they are -- any site which classifies something (in this case CivDOS) as abandonware when it clearly is not, is probably not to be trusted...
And i'm sorry but i failed to 'get' relevance of the Gov-of-Civ3, pls explain, tks
That's just part of Theov's CFC-signature (it links to an article he wrote for CFC). I have similar links in my sig (to Acronym's Bucket-List Sucession Game, and my random-civ game thread) below this post, as do many CFCers.

On topic:

I have a legit CivDOS CD-ROM which I bought in 2002 (in the UK), installed the game on an old Toshiba Win98 notebrick (Pentium processor -- the Bug kicked in occasionally) and played almost nothing else for the next 7 years (also installed it on a WinXP laptop bought in 2006, and ran it in Win98-compatibility mode -- not sure if that's possible with Vista though). I pretty much stopped playing CivDOS after I bought Civ3 in 2009, so you'd be welcome to have the CD, if you want it, and if you tell me where to send it (you should be able to send me your contact info in a private message through CFC -- if you can't, post here, and I'll PM mine to you).

Top Bottom