Space ship bug?

Arcus77

Chieftain
Hello,

I am new to this forum but I still frequently play CIV1 in a dosbox, more or less successfull :)

I got a question considering the space ship win: Yesterday I played a earth- game with the americans, King level, 7 nations.

I got Automobile in 120BC an thought about a usual war-victory. but then I decided for the space "race". In 1525, it took longer than expected, I launched my space ship. Success rate 100%, everything was there. It was supposed to fly 12,5 years. So I expected a win in 3 rounds.

but nothing happend :(
In 1540, it wrote "spaceship landed". But I didnt win. The game just continued.... even 10 rounds later, there was nothing :(

What did I do wrong?

Can someone help / tell me?

Greetings Arcus

Ooh ooh I know this one!

Your flight time has to coincide exactly with your 'turn-time' in order for the arrival to be registered as a Space-win. If your ship reaches AC in a year that falls between your 'turn-years', then you don't get the credit for it. Can't remember offhand whether the flight time gets rounded up or down, but assuming it gets rounded down:

If your flight time is 12 years, your turn-time would have to be a factor of twelve. Since turn-years decrease from 50 to 20 to 10 to 5 to 2 to 1 years, you would therefore have to wait for the 2-year turns (starting at 1850 AD, IIRC) to be able to launch your ship, and get the landing registered 12 game-years (i.e. 6 turns) later.

Similarly, (I would assume that) if your ship needed e.g. 17 years, you could launch it in 1845 AD, and still get the landing registered, 7 turns later...

What it comes down to is, Sid and the Boyz didn't expect people to be launching their ships as early as you did. So give yourself a pat on the back for exceeding their expectations...

And BTW, welcome to CFC! :band: :woohoo:

Hello, thanks for the hint.

I played 5 more rounds to build more space ship structures (+0.2 yrs each) and components to reach a exact flight time of 15 years.

So I landed the ship at 1560... It didnt bring much points. I finished with 44% :(

Now I will try for a violent win, starting my savegame at 120BC when I developped Automobile. Lets see how much the difference in points is...
I dunno yet, if I completly stop researching and only go for tax and luxury, or continue research to make things like Mfg.Plan available...

I will tell you about the results :)

Ok, I reloaded my 120BC file and stopped researching. instead I started buiding amors...

In 1410 In conquered the whole world. I didn't find one Zulu city :crazyeye:
Otherwise it would have been 130 yrs earlier. Moreover I had to be remembered that fortyfied Militias behind city walls can win about a amor division...

Anyway: The War victory brought 1518 points and 121%, thats better than emperor Augustus :D

The best Space ship win in 1560 brought 679 points and only 52%.

So war is rated much higher...we now already:crazyeye:

Not that you would play space ark for points (as you've established) but the order in which the cities produce the ship parts changes the way the game distributes the parts in the launch screen. Depending on how many structures are needed to connect the dots, this changes the flight time and can make certain ships able to fly in the BC's even, like if they have a 10 or 20-year ETA.

I remember this heuristic conversation about it a couple years ago, Launch before 1490. After making my post I learned that dark-grey civ #7 uses a different ordering algorithm for their ship from civs 1-6. I think there is also a more recent, more technical thread about the build order, but for some reason I don't see that one.

Bottom line is that it is possible to make and send off extremely early ships.

Ok, I reloaded my 120BC file and stopped researching. instead I started buiding amors...

In 1410 In conquered the whole world. I didn't find one Zulu city :crazyeye:
Otherwise it would have been 130 yrs earlier. Moreover I had to be remembered that fortyfied Militias behind city walls can win about a amor division...

Anyway: The War victory brought 1518 points and 121%, thats better than emperor Augustus :D

The best Space ship win in 1560 brought 679 points and only 52%.

So war is rated much higher...we now already:crazyeye:
yes, sometimes when I am so far ahead in tech, I just throw everyting in cash, and pump out military, and just go HAM.

... I think there is also a more recent, more technical thread about the build order, but for some reason I don't see that one.

Post #29 in this thread discuss some technical aspects regarding the build order of spaceship parts.

So I landed the ship at 1560... It didnt bring much points. I finished with 44% :(

I don't know what your SpaceShip looked like, but the highest scoring one I've found before 1490AD (after which you can launch a fully-loaded, 4 habitat SpaceShip, worth the maximum 200 SpaceShip points) is 3 modules of each type, 4 components of each type, and 22 structural. It takes 20.3 years, so can be launched anytime, BC, AD, whatever. It's worth 142 SpaceShip points.

Top Bottom