Assyria discussion

I think it would be most interesting as a Science/Economic civ, the first we would have in the game.

Keep in mind we are talking about the Assyrians here. These are a people famous for blinding the eyes of every male in a city that rebelled and then transporting them to Nineveh. When the Northern Jewish Kingdom (Israel) resisted their rule, they deported the entire population. Unlike Babylon, who did the same thing, these 10 tribes of Israel disappear from records. There was no Babylonian captivity or return to Jerusalem.

Their leader is Ashurbanipal, a man who, using his own words, "dyed the rivers with blood as one dyes wool."

It would not make any sense to design them as a peaceful civ ;)

Incidentally, I think I found the statue they based the in-game model of Ashurbanipal (can we call him Ash?)

Spoiler :

If he was holding that lion in-game, he would be the only Civ I would play as.

Incidentally, I think I found the statue they based the in-game model of Ashurbanipal (can we call him Ash?)

Spoiler :

If he was holding that lion in-game, he would be the only Civ I would play as.

Man, he's also ripped their too. Ashurbanipal looks like he's made of nothing but muscle. Like Incredible Hulk muscle.

Keep in mind we are talking about the Assyrians here. These are a people famous for blinding the eyes of every male in a city that rebelled and then transporting them to Nineveh. When the Northern Jewish Kingdom (Israel) resisted their rule, they deported the entire population. Unlike Babylon, who did the same thing, these 10 tribes of Israel disappear from records. There was no Babylonian captivity or return to Jerusalem.

Their leader is Ashurbanipal, a man who, using his own words, "dyed the rivers with blood as one dyes wool."

It would not make any sense to design them as a peaceful civ ;)

Great, now we have two Mesopotamian leaders who will take Autocracy. I can't tell ya how happy dis makes me :clap:

What do you think their preferred religion will be? Most middle eastern civs will found Islam because the Middle East is predominantly Muslim, although Darius founds Zoroastrianism because that was the religion of ancient Persia. Assyrians today are predominantly eastern-rite Christians in Syria and Iraq. It will be pretty weird seeing a Christian Ahsurbanipal especially since the Assyrians are pretty much the bad guys in the Bible.

The trend for an ancient civ that has a religion not in the game is to give them the religion of the modern country located there. Assyria straddles Iraq, Turkey, and Syria, so that would be Islam.

Well, there's also a Chaldean church (also Christian). Chaldeans were the predominant ethnic group in the Neo-Babylonian Empire (I believe Nebuchadnezzar was one if I'm not mistaken) but the Babylonians are Muslim in the game. 75% of the civs in the game are Christian and both Poland and Brazil will be Christian.

I only bring it up because Firaxis deleted the Pueblo due to their desire not to mis-represent an ethnic group and its religion. I'm not trying to start a real-world religious discussion, and I'm aware that it would be really weird for them to be accurate to the real-world religion of the Assyrians and give a leader who pre-dated Christianity that religion.

Yes, we have an Assyrian church here just down the street, and it's Christian.

Right. But considering the Assyrians pre-date christianity by thousands of years...
I do realize that ancient-era civs tend to take the religion of the region where they are located, but as many people have mentioned, Christianity seems to make up more than half of the civ's preferred religion...

Another, quite simple solution would just be to add more available religions to choose from. I tend to play with the mod that gives you more options, and I'm sure it's not something that would take much time for the dev's to implement...
and it would allow me to try getting achievements again :D

What would the ancient Mesopotamian religion be called? The Assyrians worshiped the pantheon of Sumerian gods, but gave primacy to Assur, just as the Babylonians gave primacy to Marduk. Assurism? Mardukism?

Time-wise, they would be closest to Zoroastrianism, but that does not quite fit. Maybe they will just pick from all available religions randomly.

\When the Northern Jewish Kingdom (Israel) resisted their rule, they deported the entire population. Unlike Babylon, who did the same thing, these 10 tribes of Israel disappear from records. There was no Babylonian captivity or return to Jerusalem.

This isn't quite accurate. The difference is that the 10 tribes weren't as stubborn about intermingling with the Assyrians as the Jews were with the Babylonians. Eventually they stopped looking like Israelites and became known as the Samaritans.

I think a logical replacement would be a Swordsman replacement. The Assyrians were masters of iron (one of the first to use it on a wide scale), but they also had spear-based armies. No matter what, I would think they'd be similar to the Huns, unfortunately. Although I maintain that this is more of a problem with the Huns than with the Assyrians ;)

My guess is that their Siege Tower will replace the new unit axemen.

My guess for the Royal Library is that it replaces the National Wonder you can build when you have a library in all your cities. What was it called again?

My guess is that their Siege Tower will replace the new unit axemen.

My guess for the Royal Library is that it replaces the National Wonder you can build when you have a library in all your cities. What was it called again?

National College (NC)

I think its premature to think just because the Royal Library is a Library replacement, Assyria will be a science based civ. China, after all has a Library replacement and it isn't considered a Science civ...

I would rather expect that an Assyrian civ would be based more on great works, such as a UA that gives us the ability to plunder great works from foreign cities. It is unique, and follows the general theme of the expansion.

Top Bottom