New techs?

Chances are that a good amount of the techs will have to relate to espionage and religion(no duh).

Agreed, that would be a good one. I'd love to see the return of map trading.

The problem with map trading is it kills a lot of the fun of exploration. You only need to reach your neighbor and then buy a map.

Hum... maybe if it only revealed whatever they see with their cities at that precise moment? I mean, it's really annoying to have to screen their whole empire with a scout to get an idea of their size and geographical frontiers. The point of map trading would be more to reduce micro than to get a strong benefit out of it (sort of like satellites: you hardly benefit at all from it since it comes so late, but at least that way you know that you don't have to explore every single hex, since they will eventually be revealed).

The problem with map trading is it kills a lot of the fun of exploration. You only need to reach your neighbor and then buy a map.

If it comes pretty late you allready explored much of the territory around you and you're neigbhours but not the rest So it isn't a b ig deal

I remember that in civ 4 it came pretty late

It didn't came that late actually. You usually had explored only your home continent, and some bits here and there. I remember becoming the map broker whenever I got the corresponding tech: exchange your map for whoever-is-the-furthest-from-you 's map, then sell his map to everybody else, basically getting the World's map and some money in the deal :satan:

All I really really want is a larger classical era.

I do expect the classical era will expand, due to many religion techs should be in that era in particular.

I would like to see a other dominant resource in the classical era then Iron or at least a milita unit that doesn't require any resources

I totally agree. And it's a lot more realistic without trading, although you have to admit that taking it out makes things annoying. I'd suggest re-introducing it, but nerfing it to the point where it doesn't obsolete the point of exploring.

I totally agree. And it's a lot more realistic without trading, although you have to admit that taking it out makes things annoying. I'd suggest re-introducing it, but nerfing it to the point where it doesn't obsolete the point of exploring.

Something like that, yes. We could have "Map Exchange Agreements" like we have Research Agreements. They would last a certain amount of turns, while revealing tiles (that the other civilization knows and you don't) one at a time and in a semi-random manner (tiles that are adjacent to ones you already know would have a greater chance of being chosen for discovery).

I agree. I used to hate it when all of the sudden the whole world is explored in the blink of an eye. Then suddenly the game became a lot slower.

The Classical Age and the Industrial Age need to be lengthened in my opinion so hopefully the new techs will be added for those Eras. Also I hope it's more than ten techs.

For Industrial Age it could be Torpedo for MTB's & Submarines

All new WWI era units. The Industrial Age will be lengthened for sure.

For Industrial Age it could be Torpedo for MTB's & Submarines

I would prefer that we not have single techs that serve no other purpose than to enable a single unit. We don't need Civ 3 Ironclads all over again.

All new WWI era units. The Industrial Age will be lengthened for sure.
But they could fit the units in with existing techs.
Don't forget that the industrial age is already 3 tiers long (like the other periods).

Classic only has 1 tier and Medieval has 2 tiers, so they'd be first up for new techs I'd think.
Religion could fill an some techs in those periods, Monotheism, Divine Right, Scholasticism, etc.

Don't forget that the industrial age is already 3 tiers long (like the other periods).

Can they? The late game already seems pretty rushed in terms of how long your units last. There's not much gap between fighters and jet fighters, without adding another unit in there as well.

Classic only has 1 tier and Medieval has 2 tiers, so they'd be first up for new techs I'd think.
Religion could fill an some techs in those periods, Monotheism, Divine Right, Scholasticism, etc.

They could but I'd doubt it. Because it would then be way too compact. They should spread it out a bit to make it more interesting. If they do its no big deal. I can seperate things a bit via xml.

I know that the classic period should have two tiers it is too short. If they stretched the industrial age to 4 that would be fine by me. Tech advances should need time to develop as we get closer to the future. You want to make sure you actually have a chance to use certain units at least for a bit.

I would prefer that we not have single techs that serve no other purpose than to enable a single unit. We don't need Civ 3 Ironclads all over again.

Here again, I would not mind that if it helps the ironclad have its day in the sun as it should. Right now the ironclad is rather useless. This is why the tech tree should be spread out a bit. The use of technology should never suffer the player (all tech should be useful), or else do not put it in. If you gain tech or units it/they should have a purpose and be able to be used before it/they become obsolete. Otherwise why put it in to begin with? Though the tech should be accompanied by something that drives a unit. For example, with the ironclad, add a coaling station or something of the like. This way the unit has a purpose and something that is needed, the procurement of coal to drive it. If they do not add something to go along with a certain unit, add something instead that will benefit the world at the time of that units use in the game.

Civ to me has always been a game where things do not need to be rushed. Although, one problem with the game over the years has been a very compact tech tree. Because of this, when the game is modded you get like a thousand techs. Modders sometimes go a bit overboard, indeed a lot overboard in some cases. I believe there should be a balance, between getting a tech and the ability to build new units, buildings, etc. And at the same time, being able to actually have time to build and use these units, buildings, etc, before being rushed into the next higher level of tech. Why rush the game is not going anywhere? If technology is spread out over more tiers for each era in the techtree that is fine by me. As long as each unit developed has a purpose, and the time for the player to learn by, as well as benefit by its abilities.

Can they? The late game already seems pretty rushed in terms of how long your units last. There's not much gap between fighters and jet fighters, without adding another unit in there as well.
That's true, but increasing the tech cost would help, but I guess you're right.

Top Bottom