Pre-BombNES IV: A New Hope

I'd like to see descriptions of the following before I give preferences:

United Dominions, Polish-Hungarian Commonwealth, Sovereign Order of Santiago, British Empire, Principality of Sao Paulo.

It's not required, but it can help me place you better if (when) conflicts arise over who gets what position. If you choose to do it, I wouldn't worry about making a comprehensive list as much as just highlighting scenarios that are relevant to your particular choices. ;)
Ok... Hmm A bit more details about those nations would help that ;)

I once ousted a Protestant at my Catholic School. It wasn't a nes but it highlights my experience in discrimination by religious beliefs and finding those who do not share my own, which makes me an ideal fit for Rome

Thinking about joining *looks at list of reservations* :( Rome has 2 players who have made it their first choice.

Oh well here is my list.

1. Roman Republic.
2. Nothing else really interests me for this time period.

Resume:
French Empire in LuckNES vb: Novus Ordo Seclorum: (Mod, Luckymoose) Took France to greater heights after crushing the British fleet in a daring sneak attack off the coast of France during a Great War that by all rights France probably should have lost. Also created the Francophone Games that brought France's Vassals and French speaking countries around the world closer together. Had the NES not ended, who knows how far I could have gone.

Canfre in Jason's NES (cannot remember the name): (Mod, Jason the King) Canfre was modeled on Rome and under my rule conquered Italy and before the NES died was about to go after Africa. A very short NES, but still really memorable for my plans that I thought for hours and days while working but never implemented.

Of course the two most memorable NESes for me: (Mod, Imago)
One of my most favorite NES. INES II: Gone is the Old Guard
Deseret: United North America against the American Federation and crushed them which then saw the creation of the (debatable) strongest and most powerful Alliance in the game founded and headed by Deseret, DFI-NADTA.
Also created the Intelligence Network and special unit (Angels of Death) that prevented what possibly could have been a NES ending nuclear war, though the NES died anyways. :(
Awards from this NES:
Spoiler :
Theocratic State of Deseret/germanicus12
His role in the African Incident might seem to make any award I give him suspect, but from the beginning germanicus12’s Deseret had great tactics if not great strategy. In the Great North American War, he led his nation to defeat invasions from the American Federation, Venezuela, and ASEAN, and by the end of the game, he had the Most Efficient Navy on the face of the planet. Deseret also gets the Nation that Turned the Most Away from Its Roots award. Salt Lake could have easily been the seat of an authoritarian missionary empire, but germanicus12 toned down the religious aspect of Deseret and ran it like the closest thing this game had to a United States. As part of that, Deseret also gets the Most Influential North American Nation award, though it was a close run thing with Quebec.

INES III: INES III: Storm Tapestry (Mod, Imago)
Texan Republic, once again reunited North America against the American Kingdom (is this the right name Nuke?), and fought to the death against them. Ultimately I lost but I inflicted large amounts of damage and showed impressive loyalty to my allies by standing with to the end despite the A.K offering sweet deals to betray my allies. Still one of my favorite NESes.
Awards: Texas/germanicus12
Best National Sports, though I’m not sure anyone else was in contention for that one. Also Best Martyr, in that he turned down an offer of the Philippines and whatever else he could have gotten as a System member (he is quite a good tactician) and the Washingtonians ate his nation in the end.

I would like more specific information on Poland-Hungary.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

1. Maratha
2. Maracaibo
3. Sweden
4. Mexico
5. Venice

I'll throw in a reference if you want to see it:

The Roman Empire, Capto Iugulum
Sweden, A Brave New World

These two were my longest running nations in a NES I believe. If you want more references I can find them for you, but I think Rome in CI is a good one considering I had a crap event happen but was able to, mostly, turn it around after a lot of patience and persistence.

1. Siam
2. Naples
3. Ayyubid Caliphate
4. São Paulo
5. United Dominions

Notable NES Experience:
1. Moscowy/Russia- CIEN/Capto Iugulum- Turned a small backwater nation into the largest, most powerful nation on Earth, taking on the full might of the British and their allies in the Great War (singlehandedly for the last year) and winning
2. Massachusetts/New England- A Brave New World- Despite early setbacks, united New England and turned it into one of the largest colonial powers. Created the most powerful navy on Earth.
3. USA- The World Turned Upside Down- Killed Congress as a pretext of annexing South America.

Since Iggy posted his, I'll show the one I extended:

Spoiler pretty big :

I have a butt-ton of stuff for Louisiana, but I don't know how appropriate it is to post it in here.

North King, Iggy,

Those are both very well done. I like that you made them in the same style.

What program(s) did you two use to make those?

And, if I may, if you have it, bomb, could you post the German Union's description as well?

Looking for a description for Portugal if at all possible.

I just want to let everyone know:

I'm so happy about the enthusiastic response this is getting but this thread is moving so fast, that I'm honestly having a hard time keeping up with it all. With that in mind, if your requests for reservations or descriptions gets ignored for a little while, I really do apologize. I'm going to go through the thread post-by-post in a bit here, so hopefully I'll get to everybody pretty soon. Thanks to everyone for their interests and patience!

1. Sovereign Order of Santiago
2. Terrencia
3. Nayramids
4. Hamburg
5. The Garanganze Free State

NESes... stuff... things...

I run TerraNES, which is waiting for free time for the 20th update and which has done very well, if I do say so myself.

I played as Treha and Parthe in End of Empires. As Treha, I was still a noob, but I managed to turn a minor city state with divided loyalties into a power broker in its own right. Killed off due to parental banishment. Parthe I played with more maturity and with that result I have done quite well, although merely "uniting" and island and creating a viable economy are certainly things an NPC could do. What they couldn't do is to provide the engaging narrative and various crisis a native-style people faces when going "international" and "modern".

I've never played EQ's NESes for any significant amount of time. As Connecticut in ABNW I conquered Rhode Island and rivaled Massachusetts for several years, until I got sneak attacked after announcing a minor vacation. Until then I had colonies, strong international relations, and two protectorates. I later played a random native american nation and brought it from the 3rd world to the 2nd world in a half-dozen turns. I then played Normandy for a significant amount of time in Capto, brining it from a minor state to a power broker in France, and whose shift in alliance between Protestant Union, Burgundy and Languedoc ultimately caused the formation of the Confederation. Then I played Occitania, a bit part. The one turn I didn't send detailed orders on exactly how tod efend the pyrenees, the Spanish broke through. So yeah. Then I played Florida and made an engaging narrative about a polarized society and how a man, with his own mistaken point of view on the situation but also a sharp understanding of the forces tearing his beloved homeland apart, basically mass-murdered two armed extremist camps and returned Florida to the moderates.

In Immaculate's various FFH NESes you can especially see my progression between my failed attempt at Gregori to my astute diplomatic wheeling and dealing as the Vanari. I also wrote some of my best stories as the Vanari, although I am currently very pressured by both RL and my NES to continue in that fashion as I wished I could.

I also played the Zulu in Jason's nes, which conquered most of Africa.

I played as Aquitane in SK's Medieval NES. Notable for being the straight man at the butt of everyone's jokes for the first half of the NES, and then a deranged and hypocritical yes man for the second half. :3

TBH I've always picked and played bit parts in most of the NESes and slowly moved them up the ladder to small and regional powers. The few times I played decent powers to start the NES either died quickly, or it was early in my career and I ruined it utterly. ;) No pressure. Also, I didn't play in many NESes after TerraNES really started grinding and RL heated up.

So, yeah. Anything else you would need?

I have updated the player list. Also, here are a few more concise backgrounds.

The Kingdom of Aragon

Spoiler :
Aragon (The Kingdom of Aragon): The new Kingdom of Aragon owes its origins to the Spanish Revolution of 1803, and the subsequent French occupation of Northern Iberia to prevent the rebellion from spreading into Southern France. Unlike Castile, where the peasants and military successfully overthrew their monarch, Aragon was subject to several decades of French occupation with a pretender to the former Spanish monarchy sitting on the throne. Following this, a guerilla war against both the French occupation and the Aragonese monarchy lasted for several decades, before finally being crushed in the 1880s, though some dissenting elements do remain underground. Aragon currently maintains strong ties with France, and despite having considerably less freedom of political action compared to its neighbor, Castile, its economy is significantly more advanced due to its ties with industrialized Europe.

The Ayyubid Caliphate

Spoiler :
Ayyubids (The Ayyubid Caliphate): The Roman victory against the Demir Qoyunlu in the 1610s saw the Turkic Empire forced to cede nearly the entirety of its Mesopotamian provinces to Constantinople. Despite this, the Roman government would soon find that much like under Trajan, holding these new territories would be a logistical nightmare.

Indeed, almost as soon as Turkic forces withdrew and the Roman forces entered the region, did the predominantly Arab and Kurdish population of the area rise up in rebellion. The revolt was soon coopted by the descendents of the once great Ayyubids, who using their position as governors of Damascus, were able to raise a moderately large band of raiders and defeat Roman armies (exhausted from eight years of warfare with the Demir Qoyunlu) at the battles of Mosul and Van.

With these victories, the Ayyubid’s shoddy militia soon transformed into a large professional force, backed by money and advisors from the Demir Qoyunlu and other Asian Sultanates. By 1631, the Romans had been forced out of the Euphrates River Valley and soon found themselves defending Anatolia itself. In 1638, a crisis on the Hungarian border forced the Romans to shift the vast majority of their forces from Asia to the Balkans, effectively putting an end to the war, though a formal peace was not declared for another forty years.

In 1648, the new Ayyubid Sultanate set its eyes on the Arabia n Peninsula, seeking to capture the Holy Cities of Mecca and Medina. The campaign was a resounding success, as the local Arab chieftains were not much of a match for the battle hardened forces of Ayyubids. With Mecca and Medina secured, the Ayyubid Sultan finally felt comfortable declaring himself the new Caliph, but to fully secure his new title, he set his sights on capturing the Levant from the Latin dominated province of Jerusalem. However, unlike the Ayyubid’s previous campaigns, which were primarily based on quick conquests, the Caliphate found itself at a loss trying to crack the super fortresses of the Levant and a truce was drawn shortly later, though this would be far from the last of its wars with the Latins.

The following two centuries would prove that the new empire was not nearly as good at governing as it was as conquering, and a string of secession crises and political conflict (often a result of Turkic and Roman meddling) would turn the Caliphate into a civil and economic mess. The Civil War of 1882-1886 saw the overthrow of the mainstream Ayyubid dynasty based in Damascus in favor of a cadet branch based out of Baghdad. It was also during this war that the Kingdom of the Outremer was able to conquer and occupy the cities of Homs and Aleppo on their border.

Currently, the Ayyubid Caliphate is an economic and technological backwater, while the military, once the political backbone of the empire, has not advanced much beyond the tactics and weapons that it used to conquer its territory almost three centuries ago. It survives mainly in the fact that its territory is not worth the amount it would cost to occupy it, and by playing its three regional rivals (the Romans, Demir Qoyunlu and Outremere) off against one another. More recently it has looked to the British and Burgundians to help it modernize its forces, but very little in the way of progress has yet to come out of this.

The Kingdom of Castile

Spoiler :
Castile (The Kingdom of Castile): When the Roman Empire invaded Italy with the intent of reuniting the Eastern and Western churches, Spain was one of the first nations to join France in their anti-Roman alliance. A poor performance in the conflict’s opening battles resulted in the Spanish government delegating the command of most of their military to French generals and while this did lead to a string of victories, Spanish forces were undeniably facing much higher casualties than their French allies.

Problems were only compounded when British entry into the war on the side of Rome resulted in the attack and seizure of several Spanish colonies. Spain’s inability to defend its colonies soon led to revolts in Mexico and South America and a Moroccan raid on Valencia, instigated at the behest of Rome, eventually put the Catalans into revolt as well. With a civil war brewing at home, and the war straining its economy, Spain quickly pulled most of its troops from the main theater in the Mediterranean with the intent to use them to quell the rebellion at home.

The returning soldiers, disgruntled by their treatment in the war, and now expected to fight against their own countrymen soon initiated a revolt of their own, marching on Madrid and ousting the monarchy and forcing them into exile in Mexico. This was shortly followed by the formation of a new government in Burgos, sympathetic to the plight of the soldiers and peasants alike. Alarmed by the events in Iberia, France scrambled to organize an army to overthrow the military government created in Burgos, but it was only able to occupy Aragon and Navarre before events in Italy forced them to halt their advances.

The next decade saw a guerrilla war waged against the French in northern Iberia, while the new government in Burgos struggled to maintain law and order in Castile. By the time the Theodosian Wars came to a close, a new kingdom of Castile had been declared, with a lesser Spanish noble placed on the throne as a figurehead for a cadre of generals.

Currently, Castile is one of Europe's more troubled countries, as the military sucks up most of the country’s income in order to fend off any possible invasion. Despite this, its relatively effective military force is enough to bring alarm to its neighbors to the north and west. Castile's largest issue is that if it wishes to prosper, it will almost surely be forced to cut down on its military expenses, but at the same time, this will inevitably force the small country to also make political concessions its neighbors. All that can be said for sure is that if Spain is to reunite under Castilian leadership, it will almost certainly take a very shrewd leader.

Hm, should Castile really be a kingdom? It seems like the monarchy was pretty effectively rooted out, and it's a military dictatorship now.

It seems like its a military dictatorship with a figurehead monarch. This would make it officially a kingdom, just with the king having no actual power and being a puppet for the generals.

Top Bottom