Pre-NinNES III: Planning and World-Building Stage

My current stance is that it must be plausible, and justifiably so. For example.

- Evil Orcs that are evil "because". NOT ALLOWED
- Evil Orcs that are evil due to a genetic mutation that was amplified by early magic anomalies. ALLOWED
- A race of restaurant waiters. NOT ALLOWED
- Humans in general. ALLOWED
- Superman. NOT ALLOWED.
- Genetically superior beings that have superman-esque powers as a result of divine interaction. ALLOWED

etc etc. It's pretty much completely arbitrary and reliant on whether someone can convince me it makes sense. going to try to be as lenient as possible, though some races may be denied/hindered if they are too wacky and/or powerful.

On the "evil race" thing...

Spoiler a rant on the "all evil race" issue :
I would myself bar the explanations for a race to be all evil by stating a reason itself should be a justification for having all evil race; it boils down to a hindrance on considerations. I confess that "all evil races" is a pet peeve of my. Why are entire species set to a strict moral root instead of having any sense of agency? Genetic "explanations" doubly so. It also makes things boring; "a orc village is in the distant... ATTACK IT! IT IS ALL EVIL! ATTACK!" Can one do diplomacy with a "all evil race?" Can one expect trade with a "all evil race" to be fair? Would a soldier feel guilt in taking part in the striking down a village of a "all evil race" when it is of their nature? I think it may be best to consider a diversity in morality for all species henceforth. Yes I admit to have set purposeful for goblins to be id driven as a species trait but the idea was to grand a different psyche to humans by emphasizing the id at expense of ego and super ego; good as well evil can be conducted under the influence of the id. In other words I sought to view the lens of instinct. To program them evil would have robbed the story teller the agency of telling a tale from their eyes, as well as in many ways allowing those playing as "evil races" or "all good" will affect any convert activity; it is easier to cause betrayal when there is no loyalty and convincing a figure in a "all good race" to betray would possibly be better spend moving a mountain by method of feathers.

I get what you're saying, but can't we just start with the species that the players making their first claims want and build backwards from there?

Potential players can start contributing now, no? I suggest we commence with a develop of a select species to ensure fulfillment in the world for the purpose of the histories. In the end I am guessing we can have some set species but player can add more if need be, just that I think we need a set though for developing the world's history.

I had a long response rant typed up and then realized that I wasn't making the distinction between race and nation.

Upon realizing this fact I pretty much agree with you. While I think races may still be pre-disposed to behavior that some might view as "evil", the race itself can't be evil, as that describes a nation's or people's actions rather than the race itself. If there was a species that was purely evil, it would kill itself out before it legitimately developed.

So yes, evil races themselves may not be quite so plausible, though evil nations most certainly are imo.

Been thinking a bit about the ruleset for this. I don't want to go too far overboard with stats, and turn this into a spreadsheet nes. At the same time if it's too open it becomes difficult to follow as a player. I'm guessing that general "Economic Points" would probably work best, perhaps with specialization points for unique or specific projects?

Been thinking a bit about the ruleset for this. I don't want to go too far overboard with stats, and turn this into a spreadsheet nes. At the same time if it's too open it becomes difficult to follow as a player. I'm guessing that general "Economic Points" would probably work best, perhaps with specialization points for unique or specific projects?

That looks good.

Hey,

Eco points is nice. But?
... perhaps with specialization points for unique or specific projects?
Sorry to be a many years here noob but what does this mean? I haven't played in a NES with this.

Have you decided on what Magic system yet? Individual Hero-type or mass magic?

Blaze Injun

What ever the case of magic we should consider whether there should be schools of magic and how many.

I have plans to enter this game as a necrocracy, so death magic might be a possible school to consider.

What ever the case there be options indeed.

I plan to enter the game using whatever equivalent of Blue Magic is in Magic the Gathering.

Also, is it OK if my empire's species is an (levitating) arcane blob that reproduces magically (created by some horrific accident) that has very strong magic powers and magical defense but is very slow moving and horrible physically? Or is that pushing the bounds of magic too much?

Sorry to be a many years here noob but what does this mean? I haven't played in a NES with this.

Imagine something like a "wonder" system here. Projects that you work on will drain your economy. Once in a while, you might have an idea for something so powerful, awe-inspiring, and downright unnecessary that your nation needs to focus everything into the creation of whatever you are attempting to accomplish.

These alternate points would be an arbitrary representation of access to rare resources, great people (in civ terms) or maybe something like lost technology. Little things that give you an edge, but you have limited amounts of to use.

Have you decided on what Magic system yet? Individual Hero-type or mass magic?

I was thinking of the mass-magic with varying degrees of magical power.

What ever the case of magic we should consider whether there should be schools of magic and how many.

I have plans to enter this game as a necrocracy, so death magic might be a possible school to consider.

What ever the case there be options indeed.

This is true. My plan on that end is that magic can manipulate the universe itself, making anything possible. However, being able to apply this magic in a meaningful way requires great amounts of training and power, meaning that a single mage could not simply train in one school and become masters of everything. Specialization in 3 schools at most would be required to make an impact. Therefore, necromancy could very well be a school that would work. What are your thoughts on that?

I plan to enter the game using whatever equivalent of Blue Magic is in Magic the Gathering.

Also, is it OK if my empire's species is an (levitating) arcane blob that reproduces magically (created by some horrific accident) that has very strong magic powers and magical defense but is very slow moving and horrible physically? Or is that pushing the bounds of magic too much?

Absolutely possible. I will note that you will obviously need to develop the backstory accordingly etc, and you would have very significant pros and cons from such a race. But it is definitely okay to do on my end.

This is true. My plan on that end is that magic can manipulate the universe itself, making anything possible. However, being able to apply this magic in a meaningful way requires great amounts of training and power, meaning that a single mage could not simply train in one school and become masters of everything. Specialization in 3 schools at most would be required to make an impact. Therefore, necromancy could very well be a school that would work. What are your thoughts on that?

Death is finite: undeath is grander. The ways of undeath is the liberation from the cycle of live and death. It is our will to liberate as many as possible from being born to suffer and place in the status of death. It is our will that the nothingness can become something and that the essence of all living and dead can be converted to that most divine paths: necromancy. Seek out the truth of all live and death so that you may realize that even the gods be mortals and that the only true immortal is the deity of death. The magic of necromancy is the magic of understanding the one truth, the one will, the one reality. All that burn by elemental fire die. All that are consumed by the roots of nature die. All that are engulfed by the zealous of lights die. Yet all who are struck down by the plagues and withering of death magic are liberated, to be reborn into the ultimate reality of undeath as they are raised by the liberators, the necromancers. We strive the true path of immortality, free from the suffering of live and the burdens of death. Our magic can reunite ancestor and decedent, communion with the unjustly slain for justice and make ease of suffering, yet we are called "evil" by those who feel it is ok for one to be burned to death or for all to remain slaves of the cycle but fear the Truth. Many are killed by those of the false paths yet the crusade of Scaanoar condemned us necromancers of Baase. We will not be silent by the actions of the great founder of our nation of unlive. We are the seers of end, the oracles of the beginning. We are of the Truth and our ways will guide the way to paradise.

Aquilus Regina, Necromancer from the Necromancer School of Colleishdhoo and Adviser to the Supreme Leader of the Necrocracy of Baase, Erebus Aυγή.

I support your consideration Nintz and look forward to command skeletons! :D

Awesome. :)

Hey,

Student Ose Fin and the Bloody Kid Teacher of Mi Obi.

"What do you want to hear about today? Hurry up and sit down." Said the old teacher seated on the only bench in the great garden. The near naked students sat quickly in the grass around him. "Doesn't matter what you want to hear. Today I will tell you of how you can be closer to the Godlings."

"Blood is the answer. All you will ever be is because of the blood that flows in your body." He took a long blade from behind the bench and slowly ripped his palm open. Blood soon covered the grass infornt of the bench. "It all depends on the amount and type of Godling blood is mixed with true Osoponi blood. He throw his bloody hand at the girl with the blue teeth and black lips. "Now then everyone can leave except you girl."

"Watch what your doing kid!" Yelled Ose Fin as she quickly stood, moving out of the blood from his hand. The other students ran from the garden in all directions. The old man turned into a young Osoponi. She saw through his illusion. "I know all that already. I see through your illusion. Who are you really."

"Very good and beware how you talk to me." He stood and instantly she felt the air become heavy and damp. A mist had suddenly appeared throughout the garden. He stepped up on the bench turning toward her. He now had a stylisted skull mask without its lower jaw and teeth. A Mask of Mi Obi, one of two rumored to have been left by the Godling. Made for Mi Obi by the Godling Pin Ni, it is said they gave great power to its wearers. "If you can see me, you have defeated the perfumes. You have Su Cubi blood. Can you produce the magik to make perfumes?

Ose Fin took a defensive pose and moved her arms away from her sides. She would have to use her blood magik and Fin combat magik without her staff. Keeped out of the garden by magics at the entrance. She wasn't weaponless. Her heavy iron wristbands was her secret weapon and she used them as cesti. She hit like a falling blouder.

"Do you heal as well?" He shifted the blade in his hand. It began to grow as if the metal was crawling away from his tight grip. Along its edge started to crackle with small blue lightening. Dark shadows danced in the dense mist around them. "Maybe you are a lustgiver?

"I heal but I cannot create the magik to make any others." She said strange and seductively drawning out afew of the words, trying to distract the teacher from her attempt to get her iron bands around her knuckles by shaking her arms up and daown. "Is the Mask of Mi Obi real?"

"Lesson two." His left pupil turn purple casting its glow through the skulls oversided eye socket. "Yes, the Masks are truely and wonderfully real." He moved his lips long the teeth of his mask. He felt the faimilar increased focus of magik in him. "Lesson three is I am not a kid. I am 117 years old and your elder. I am also the Teacher of the Mi Obi Cult.

"What is it you want with me." Ose Fin had successfully equipt her iron knuckles and had been whispering the spells used to increase her speed. Maybe speed was nopt the word. Teleport perhaps. This was another secret she had keep to herself. She had learned the family secret of Fin Ni Shift magik from her grandmother.

"Lesson four." The kid let his robe drop from his shoulders and off his arms. The cloth disappearing in a flash at his blades edge. "I will teacher you to use all four of the Godlings Magiks. I see you have learned the Shift and some of the Fin Ni magik." His eye socket glowed a darker purple. "That is good."

Ose interrupted. "What else do you have to say before I get mad."

He moved back stepping down behind the stone bench. "Your black lips and blue stained teeth, show that you have studied the Su Cubi magiks. That and you seeing though my illusions. The use of words is a true sign of Pin Ni magiks."

"Yes so what!" With that she used her shift. To her it felt as if she moved really fast. A blurred world except for what she was looking straight at. Very weak peripheral vison. Plus this mist and shadows didn't help. Ose Fin had targeted his chest and was in range when he wasn't. He was gone and she tumbled across the grass to land looking back at his spot. There he was.

"You are funny." He walked to her and helped her up. "Here you will learn Mi Obi magik from now on." He produced the second Mask of Mi Obi out of thin air and handed it to her. "Do not put it on yet. Burn your brain."

"What?" Ose Fin stood looking stunned. The garden was clear and sunny. The City-State of Osoponi surrounded them again. "Wait... what?"

"Do you want to know lesson number one?" He started dancing wildly across the garden yelling. His hand once again spraying blood across the grass. "Cannot touch this!

Blaze Injun

I wanted to write this a little more like some of my other stuff, plup and boobs. Sadly I didn''t even though my lore is tied to those stories.

The magic is 4 basic types and will increase for Ose Fin until she dies or disappers. I'll use her as a main charactor or heroine. I'll make it fit to rules. The K at the end of magic is pronounced ka. :D The Masks are wrote as real but who knows. I like the idea of Godling relics or equipment thus the Masks. The Osoponi are basic elves any changes will be cosmedic like her stained blue teeth and his two colored eyes.

How the Bloody Kid Teacher cheated Ose Fin of her hit.
Spoiler :
How she missed was he teleported to his blood on the grass. He had moved away from it as he talked. :spank: :groucho:

4,800th post. And a story post at that. :woohoo:

Note: If this is too magical/powergamey for you likes, I can easily scrap this and play as some more conventional race.

The Arcanis (pronounced AR-khan-ihs) are a species created a few centuries ago by a horrific accident during a wizard's attempt to create an arcane elemental that was extremely resistant to magic and other non-physical attacks, as his lab was being continually attacked by various magical attacks. However, the creature he created was far too intelligent for its own good, as it was immune to not only the wizard's commands, but also his attacks, spelling doom for the wizard, who was quickly annihilated by a strong psychic attack.

Physical Description and Anatomy: The Arcanis look like a light-green clear, spherical blob (the "head") of arcane energy with roughly 1-foot by 1-foot by 1-foot dimensions. The Arcanis is also protected by a slightly darker green clear layer stretching roughly 1.5 feet out from the Arcanis (the "cytoplasm" contained by "skin"). The Arcanis do have two eyes in their "heads" that are necessary for sight, and their internal organs are inside of the "head". The Arcanis move by levitating off of the ground with psychic power, usually roughly 6 inches off the ground, albeit at an extremely slow speed, but they can levitate higher up (up to 2 feet) at the cost of expending more energy. The Arcanis gain most of their energy and nutrition by absorbing sources of mana; more basic forms of sugar (aka most food) can also be absorbed for nutrition with much weaker effect. The Arcanis are asexual and reproduce by a magical method. However, they only do this when needed (ex after a battle), and as a result, keep their population levels highly controlled. The Arcanis communicate telepathically in their own languages, though some Arcanis know languages of other races and are able to communicate to them telepathically in their own tongue, being able to hear and understand the other language.

Magical Abilities: Essentially being arcane elementals, the Arcanis have an extremely high affinity for magic. Most Arcanis are able to use basic psychic attacks (making up for their lack of arms), and more advanced Arcanis are able to cast a variety of spells like any wizard, making them extremely dangerous in magical battles.

Overall Strengths:
-Extremely high resistances to many non-physical attacks (fire, lightning, etc.), especially if they came from a magical source.
-Extremely high magical/psionic affinity.
-Reduced need for conventional food, water, and rest. (They still die if not exposed to enough sugar/mana).

Overall Weaknesses:
-Extremely low resistances to physical attacks (a sword will cut through an Arcanis like butter).
-Lack of arms/legs proves extremely impractical sometimes (telepathy and levitation somewhat compensate to their respective lack of limbs)
-Extremely slow movement speed. Levitating can only compensate somewhat for the lack of legs, and the only alternative to that is rolling down hills (which only works occasionally).

@ Blaze Injun - I like this quite a bit. I'm quite interested what you plan on doing with this heroine main character, there's a lot of potential for protagonists within a nation in my opinion. Additionally, these masks are the kind of thing that you could choose to leverage in-game with the more limited "great" point for lack of a better term at the moment. You could obviously leave things like this as pure lore if you so choose as well.

@ mrrandomplayer - You can take this as an official approval. I like the idea of taking a very simple premise (arcane elemental) and choosing to build a race and culture out of it. I'm particularly curious to see how the culture develops. I don't quite get the impression these are mindless creatures that will follow any command given just because. They seem too intelligent for that. Though you may send it that direction if you wish of course.

EDIT: Also, going to spend the next few days codifying a ruleset. Or at least as much of it as I can. I will try to post updates, especially when I am unsure about something or have made significant progress. Continued stories always welcome.

@ mrrandomplayer - You can take this as an official approval. I like the idea of taking a very simple premise (arcane elemental) and choosing to build a race and culture out of it. I'm particularly curious to see how the culture develops. I don't quite get the impression these are mindless creatures that will follow any command given just because. They seem too intelligent for that. Though you may send it that direction if you wish of course.

EDIT: Also, going to spend the next few days codifying a ruleset. Or at least as much of it as I can. I will try to post updates, especially when I am unsure about something or have made significant progress. Continued stories always welcome.

They aren't mindless. Their high arcane affinity is what gives them both their magical resistances and their intelligence, which is why they killed the wizard in the first place and set up a civilization. The whole population control is more of the fact that reproduction is viewed as a hassle by the Arcanis and population growth only happens when the government orders it to happen.

A human kingdom : Entaqua
They have placed their capital in the delta of the Zangren river (the imperial mythology claims it to be founded by the legendary hero Naktar in 523th year after The Creation) and called it Inallis. They claim to be chosen by their highest god Kirel to dominate all the continent, which they call Damakir. They are very aggressive and like harassing neighbours and then using sneaky tactics to provocate wars between their worst enemies and defeating the weakened winner afterwards. In their language there's no such word as "honor", "alliance" or even "peace". They attack other realms whenever they want, however they are also very focused on new ideas, not necessarily linked with war (Sage Anoril [125-182 after the founding of Inallis] invented the wheel, distillated water and even got a revolutionnary idea to build an alchemy lab in the middle of the city, Gadoran [253-284] was very young, but he had th idea to ride unicorns, who were very numbreous in the Sitiar forest, just north of Inallis and he trained the elite of Entaquan forces - unicorn archers, who attacked and then fled... just to attack again). They have set the Entaquan system of measuring in The Great Council of 311 and it's 1 gallin - 3.502 m, 1 fernis - 33 gallins, 1 isnar - 25,425 g, 1 snirel - 33 isnars, 1 gentar - 33 snirels. I'll make more later :)

Welcome to NESing! :)

As far as I can tell all of your posts up until this point have been related to RFC, and this is your first NES. Glad to have you! This particular NES is still in the creation phase, and won't start for a bit under 2 weeks officially. During that time feel free to make lore excerpts like the one you just did or the ones you see above. Unless they conflict with something else, I can canonize it within the world.

If you have any questions regarding this NES, NESing in general, or perhaps questions about English (as I see you are not from America/UK) feel free to ask me via visitor messages on my profile, PM me, or post in this thread. This community is somewhat in a transitional period at the moment, but hopefully you still chose to stay.

Dr. Zomboss, if you like RFC, then in addition to NESing, you'd also like Dawn of Civilization, an RFC modmod. Also, welcome to NESing!

Welcome to NESing! :)

As far as I can tell all of your posts up until this point have been related to RFC, and this is your first NES. Glad to have you! This particular NES is still in the creation phase, and won't start for a bit under 2 weeks officially. During that time feel free to make lore excerpts like the one you just did or the ones you see above. Unless they conflict with something else, I can canonize it within the world.

If you have any questions regarding this NES, NESing in general, or perhaps questions about English (as I see you are not from America/UK) feel free to ask me via visitor messages on my profile, PM me, or post in this thread. This community is somewhat in a transitional period at the moment, but hopefully you still chose to stay.

Thanks! :D I will stay, no worries ;). Yeah, English is not my native language, but I think I'll manage :).
Dr. Zomboss, if you like RFC, then in addition to NESing, you'd also like Dawn of Civilization, an RFC modmod. Also, welcome to NESing!
I really like RFC mods and modmods because they create something more than a generic Civ game. Unfortunately, RFC Dawn of Civilization just won't run on my PC (maybe because I have Windows 8 :confused:).

Hey,

Student Faljoon and Teacher Rel Bish, The Iron Spike Flash.

"He took her for his own did he?" Said Rel Bish offhandedly trying to sound uninterested in a reply.

"What was that?" The young man leaned back across the pillows to lay his head on her tight muscular belly. "You mean your own family member Ose Fin and the Bloody Kid Teacher."

"He is no kid. He is older then I am. Its his Su Cubi blood." Rel smiled looking down over her large silk covered breasts. "You are the kid. Give us some heat."

As commanded the young man raised his arms, hands upward. He began saying numbers in combinations low and very fast. Small flames began to grow from each of his palms until he produced a globe of fire. His long hair seemingly to reach up from the updraft. He shot the glode with a last number into a opening at the bottom of a large stylized balloon. Unrepoduceable the balloon craft was one of 2 known from the time of the Godlings. Inside the balloon's envolope the fire would heat the air. He laid his hands back over his head as the air warmed and the craft went higher.

"Ose Fin will be a major Artist of Mi Obi." She brushed the long yellow hair from his eyes. His eyes were two different colors as all bloodline Osoponi. One was green. The other showed his magik affinity. His red pupil, showing his Pin Ni bloodline, glowed eerily. "She will become the best melee fighter since the Godling Mi Obi herself." But Rel Bish also knew that this boy would be a great Osoponi. With his Pin Ni talent for numbers magik and study methods plus her teaching him Fin Ni air magik. Ose Fin should beware this young man named Faljoon. Teasingly the Teacher of the Fin Ni Cult said. "She would have made a great student."

"And me. What am I to be?" He sat up on the edge of the low pillow covered couch which ran the lenght of the deck. His forearms on his iron plated leather pants. The cuts of his Shift training still fresh on his naked back. "A plaything till a student comes along?"

"Silly Faljoon." Rel leaned up to rest her chin on his should. Her lips were at his ear, her beasts against his back. She began whisphering. "Your are my student. You will learn to create weapons of unequaled beauty and use. Your Pin ni blood will give you the power to entomb magks with in them. You will learn the Fin Ni special Shift. You can be anywhere in a breath." She leaned back to trace his cuts hard with her fingers. "Not that weak technique Ose will have learned."

He remained silent and straighten his back, combing his hair back with is hand. He quickly turned at the waist grabbing for her. He meant to pin her to the pillows. "I would reather be a plaything."

"Lesson one student Faljoon." Rel Bish now sat on his back. Her legs across his hips pinning his arms and hands to his sides. A fighting spike at the base of has neck had him pinned facedown in the pillows. This prevented his speaking and use of Pin Ni numbers magik. Above her head she wildly swung a finely craved forgehammer. Threatening to accidently drop the hammer on the spike. Riotously giggling the Teacher of the Fin Ni Cult yelled. "You never touch this."

Blaze Injun

I used some boobs this time. Nothing overtly threatening I hope. :D

How Rel Bish moved to pin Faljoon to the pillows.
Spoiler :
She had used his blood to mark his back and her Shift is like teleportation. She can teleport to what ever she has marked. It will always be marked.

Top Bottom