The Deity Challenge Lineup - Game #10 - Polynesia

I think it was between 15 and 20 turns to settle cap. I knew exactly where I was going, so I just waltzed across Zulu lands and swam the estuary. Can't remember exactly. Meanwhile, the warrior went in the opposite direction, to the continent where I would eventually build the main part of my empire, so as to meet all the CS there and amass a ton of gold.
Why did you decide against settling on the other continent completely? I am not a fan of isolated starts, but this continent looks simply corrupted.

If you mean "why didn't you put your capital on the same continent as the expos" then the answer is simple : the best thing about the location I chose was trade routes. I could reach Dido, Shaka, Pacha and Oda with cargo ships. This is great for early science leech and late game CV. Having trade route modifier, plus diplomat plus OB plus (for most) no ideology detractor meant that, in combination with Moai and Hotels/NVC/Freedom finisher + a ton of artefacts, the CV was by far the quickest I've ever had.

Dang, now I really have to try it out innit :D

also, I'll pick Rome to further test *my own* strategy which I call the Wide Commerce Strategy :lol: (resulting in not the quickest but certainly the easiest win so far)

Dang, now I really have to try it out innit :D

also, I'll pick Rome to further test *my own* strategy which I call the Wide Commerce Strategy :lol: (resulting in not the quickest but certainly the easiest win so far)

Huh? Pick Rome for what?

Oh god that's my least favourite one of all. Good luck! I'll post my Ottomans map in the next couple of days if you'd like to join me on the HCA front, too?

yeah, that's definitely a better idea. Though I can't really predict how much can I get involved, I have around 2 free hours in a day when I get back from work

I tried to do this map the consentient way and ... what the hell am I thinking settling close to my (by far) most hated AI. So yeah, I lasted about 120-ish turns :D

I've given this map around 3-4 other tries, the clever way to actually beating it is still up in the air

I kept her at bay just by building Maori warriors and putting them outside her borders so nothing could get out.

I made the same choke point but she came from all directions. Pity it takes quite a long time for this particular civ/map combo to get rolling and by that time I lose interest

If you mean from the NW as well, well I sent warriors up there to shoo away her settlers. I also took her religion. I never took DoF of course, and Shaka quickly made trouble with her. They were fighting over that archipelago to the SW.

The starting screen looked interesting here. Unfortunately I didn't actually check the map type until t100. :)

Anyways, to t150

Spoiler :

So this is what a Grendeldef map looks like. Warmongers very close to the start. Jungle and marsh quagmire.

I did my usual early game, but only managed one worker steal from the Aztecs. All the rough terrain is making the start extra slow. I kept the war with Monty going as long as possible.

Was that peace you wanted Monty? Yea, sure, buddy:

I used two early caravans to shore up diplomatic relations, and bribed Shaka -> Monty and Cas -> Shaka.

By t100, I am thinking that the map looks awfully strange. Where are all the city states? And why does scaling seem funny. Oh, Terra!

At this point it is a little late to do much about the new world. I guess I can explore it though.

The Japanese and Shaka aggression has taken its toll: England and the Aztecs are insignificant. I'm close to the global tech lead despite sub standard development, so the goal is to hang on until Artillery or Flight to expand my territory in the Old World.

The starting screen looked interesting here. Unfortunately I didn't actually check the map type until t100. :)

I admit that in this case especially that is a handicap.

Spoiler :

So this is what a Grendeldef map looks like. Warmongers very close to the start. Jungle and marsh quagmire.

Yeah, those were the maps I rolled myself when I had time to play - something to slow down the early stages as there's nothing much one can do to the post industrial part of the game without seriously cooking the map and it can't be done within the limits of std UI.
Moreover, Terra while offering next to nothing for those who are hunting only the fastest possible finish times gives endless possibilities for an RP gamer like myself.
Also, this wasn't meant to be a DCL but ended up as one due to Dingle disappearing & me shamelessly seizing the opportunity to bump up the average difficulty of DCL a bit.

In the end the map achieved some of its purpose as few players tried it several times, even with some impressive results.
In short, I still liked the map even if my pre-game selfset rules somewhat screwed me over but there was actually a danger of losing which shouldn't be too much to ask from a game.

Happy end gaming, Olodune - some of the harder maps especially could use more finishers.

Moreover, Terra while offering next to nothing for those who are hunting only the fastest possible finish times gives endless possibilities for an RP gamer like myself.

The concept of Terra is great. As others, and you, have said before, it doesn't work that well in the current iteration of Civ. It takes too long to get a city contributing, the national wonders become a pain, and global happiness makes it challenging to settle easily, etc.

I agree that it still makes for a great RP opportunity. I've played a civ 4 Immortal game where to goal is to completely abandon the starting continent (without the Polynesian UA mechanic). Fun times. I'd try a similar Immortal game here (without using Polynesia). I'm sure it has been done somewhere in the ICL :) Epic+ speed would help too of course.

Wow, you went old school on the map and you keep rolling

This game reminds me of the first few Deity games I played -> playing safe diplomatically, using bribes, and trying to claw up the tech tree until a late Industrial war. I probably settled more aggressively than I would have earlier, however :p

Regardless, that takes virtual cojones, man :D

I played like that the first time, got stomped and decided you know what, I'm just gonna leg it

The concept of Terra is great.

This is easy to agree with and what I really would like to see is a Terra & Continents hybrid - 2 roughly equal continents where peeps will start and a 3rd large enough landmass to be called a continent but unsettled at start apart from from CSs. Even better if settling post Astronomy were to be beneficial in general, not just for RP gamers and/or possible late game resources for domination.

Slow game, but the air force is up.

to t210
Spoiler :

The beaker flood is more of a trickle this game, which is fine since I don't have great production or GPT.

I did overcommit to the WF since I thought I was going head to head with MFG leader Oda. I guess he prefers building troops:

When Biology rolled in I was very happy to see plenty of oil in that Grendel marsh ;)

- Flight t188
- Started the war with Shaka around t195
- Now the XP is piling up on my GWBs, and Shaka is doomed.
- Cities are just a little too far apart to be easy to take in sequence.

- I'll Oxford into Plastics next turn and eventually use my scientists to get at least to Radar. The only capital that will be difficult to reach will be Carthage.
- The fight with Japan should be fun, Oda is mighty this game :lol:

t254 Domination

Bombers, Paratroopers, and Nukes at the end times.

Spoiler :

Pushing up into Japan was about what I expected. It's for games like this that I wish civ 5 had a kill counter the same way previous version of the game had. Many Japanese war casualties. My earliest bombers are just about experienced enough to pick up logistics so clearing up this carpet only takes a few turns.

Meeting Dido at the gates of Cuzco. By now I have real Bombers so range is less of an issue. Paratroopers are the only contemporary unit that can keep up with the bomber force.

A few nukes saved 1 or 2 turns at the end.

Dido and Oda swamped their economies with their new world rexing, as expected. Not a bad game - the tense early game lasted much longer than usual.

Top Bottom