The Deity Challenge Lineup - Game #10 - Polynesia

t254 Domination

Bombers, Paratroopers, and Nukes at the end times.

Spoiler :

Pushing up into Japan was about what I expected. It's for games like this that I wish civ 5 had a kill counter the same way previous version of the game had. Many Japanese war casualties. My earliest bombers are just about experienced enough to pick up logistics so clearing up this carpet only takes a few turns.

Meeting Dido at the gates of Cuzco. By now I have real Bombers so range is less of an issue. Paratroopers are the only contemporary unit that can keep up with the bomber force.

A few nukes saved 1 or 2 turns at the end.

Dido and Oda swamped their economies with their new world rexing, as expected. Not a bad game - the tense early game lasted much longer than usual.
Do you do LP's by any chance? Your wins are pretty impressive.

Do you do LP's by any chance? Your wins are pretty impressive.

No plans to, nope. I don't think I have much new to add. Games like this are based off an early game economic build - something Acken or tommynt do extremely well. This one transitions into a late game Domination attempt. Moriarte had that covered in his first LP - in fact this game is very similar in approach to that Denmark game.

There are a variety of newer LPs by excellent players that I haven't caught up with as well: Grendeldef and nickytootricky amoung them.

Edit: besides I like those screenshots :p

I think your benchmarks are as good as Acken's, if not better. And I think your result on this map is the best in the entire thread, considering you settled right in between Shaka and Monte.

T350 Cultural Victory

stormtrooper412, here is the culture victory, as promised. By far the most time I've ever spent on any 1 game

Spoiler :

Went East, settled in the middle of the other continent
T68 conquered London with my starting warrior. I positioned it to block a Japanese full health melee, while injured one was killed, as their ranged units continued to wear down defenses.
London was the holy city for Protestantism, which had 2 faith buildings; the English reformed Sacred Sites. I was able to get the other 2 faith buildings in my religion. Through a careful, controlled process I spread the religions and got all 4 faith buildings in all my cities, except London.

T253 first musician (used all musicians on Japan)

T350 Cultural Victory; over 82,000 Tourism was required!

Oda had control of 4 capitals and 67 cities total
2 players had built Apollo, but haven't built any parts

Pictures
Spoiler :

This map is harder than the Rome map imo, mainly due to the bad start, but still quicker than my slow CV on that map, due to powerful UI. The key is that they can be built on almost anything coastal, and even outside the 3 tile radius to boost other moai.

NC 98
Education 123
ST 185
Internet 284

Spoiler :

Capital on coastal silver, due to knowing this map is pretty much going to be a coastal empire. In fact I've never built any roads. 1st expo next to Sri Pada for OWN pantheon, 2nd expo south of Monty next to gem, after getting 1 worker from him. Tradition start, 3 city NC, then started to spam as many cities as I could on islands and other continent as I can afford the happiness to abuse the UI. Happiness was a problem until getting Internet and hotels everywhere. I should've done liberty tradition hybrid and my start would be a lot better.

Sri Pada grabbed me a religion, with mosque and growth in peace, but wasn't able to keep it in most cities due Monty's with pagoda and jesuit education.

Monty was never friendly, managed to keep him busy with bribes and he was eventually limited to minor cities on the other continent due to his many wars. In general, the world was hostile towards each other. Shaka was dead pretty early due to his position, and Liz got conquered by Oda. Eventually he managed to DoW me after taking out Liz, but I was able to bribe all his neighbors to attack him, and he pretty much never recovered. He also lost several cities to my allied CS and with a pathetic navy, he never did any real damage and my subs were enough for defense. Poland eventually took out most other civs on the mainland. Only Dido managed to stay alive. Oda got reduced to small islands, Pach and Monty was reduced to minor cities on the other continent.

No chance for any wonders prior to modern era due to my slow tech speed from spamming too many small cities. I had 11 cities at the end. Poland had 34. SoL was my first wonder built, and I also managed to build CR, SOH, CN tower, PT, disney castle, in that order.

Pushed for +culture to NW due to having lake Victoria, Sri Pada, and Grand Mesa for more boost. Blocked +culture to WW due to Poland having conquered almost all other WW. Also passed +culture to landmarks, and world religion. Won both WF and IG easily due to number of cities. Peak tourism after IG/airport/NVC at 1543, which I'm sure was the most I've had in a while, but still took a while due to Poland's massive 83k culture. Used 2 GM on him.

SP: Full tradition, right side liberty, patronage up to scholasticism, rationalism up to secularism, full aesthetics, freedom 6

Spoiler :

I am giving this map a go, as I think it might be my best hope from the DCLs for a peaceful CV. I will be using all the map knowledge and spoilers that I can! Is there a good rule of thumb for how many cities Liberty play can expect to keep happy? Or does one just see how it goes, since happy so variable?

I think I will need ten to tie up the continents as I would like, but that is two cities more than I have managed with Liberty previously. And this map one will not have the road connections to the cap. Harbors are so much later, but do they work for Meritocracy?

According to Acken's guide it's number of unique luxes +1 - 1
If you can get a religion with Ceremonial Burial and some happiness follower belief, you can go with a few more. Commerce will get you plenty of happiness while waiting for ideology.

Thanks Bob for the reminder to check against Acken’s guide. I am a bit off the chart though as that is really tuned for Pangaea where you can keep your territory coherent. Terra just makes that harder! I could not decide between Ceremonial Burial and World Church -- so I went with Tithe. :(
Instead of Commerce, I plan to get some happy from Exploration. All my cities will be coastal.
It is not unlikely that my wide attempt falls apart completely. From reading through the this thread again, four city Tradition should be okay for CV as well. I have OWN and I think I can plant next to four NW (could have been five had I been more aggressive), but none of those are really great locations for the Moai. So I am hoping to get away with being really greedy!

Or you could sail to the new world and settle your Pangaea there :p (didn't try this on that map thought, just know it's something Polynesia can do on terra maps)

But of course i typed it wrong as the guide says you need number of cities -1 luxes so number of cities is unique luxes +1, not -1:o

Thanks Bob for the reminder to check against Acken’s guide. I am a bit off the chart though as that is really tuned for Pangaea where you can keep your territory coherent. Terra just makes that harder! I could not decide between Ceremonial Burial and World Church -- so I went with Tithe. :(
Instead of Commerce, I plan to get some happy from Exploration. All my cities will be coastal.
It is not unlikely that my wide attempt falls apart completely. From reading through the this thread again, four city Tradition should be okay for CV as well. I have OWN and I think I can plant next to four NW (could have been five had I been more aggressive), but none of those are really great locations for the Moai. So I am hoping to get away with being really greedy!

Good luck with this map, it is one of the most difficult map along with Rome. Hint is to prepare to get attacked eventually.

Hint is to prepare to get attacked eventually.
With the civs involved, that is pretty predictable. When I get DOW’d, I will be reloading to turn before and see I can bribe my way out of it. This is mostly an experiment.

I am pleased to have gotten my first Deity peaceful CV from this map. It took 450 turns, so surprising to have that long, but the AIs were teching just as slow as me! It took ~1400 tourism per turn and then 7 GMu (3 faith purchased, 4 late spawned). I went wide for the RP, settling into the early 200’s, 12 cities total, only one location was a compromise.

I liberally reloaded, but still I was third to Freedom and then had to switch to Autocracy and lost two tenets.

After I get through CDG 4 Spain, I will try a peaceful 4 city Tradition peaceful CV run. I am guess that game to finish ~T350.
Spoiler where to settle :
  • Cap to coastal silver (as in this game).
  • 1st expo ~12 tiles SW to gem next to mountain SW to on pangea (for early internal TR, and Disney later). I think this has to be first if you want to get it.
  • 2nd expo to Sri Pada for OWN and a religion. Most people settled on the marble, but I like the tundra hill to unlock stoneworks.
  • Last expo (after NC) to squiggly island near Sri Pada for Moai and the win.

Attachments

• civ5ss-dcl10-t450.jpg
    civ5ss-dcl10-t450.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 114
Nice win. One of the side effects of map full of aggressive civs would be their constant warring leading to snail paced science. Did you get DoW or were you able to avoid all?

I was DOW’d early, a lone archer was able to hold things together until neighbor accepted peace. Other than that, I was constantly bribing the trouble makers to war with each other. I built 4x of the early UU too, so that helped a bit I am sure.

I reloaded a couple times when I was not paying enough attention. At the end I had a dozen XCOM and 4x nuke missiles, but it was not really until the end that I had a military at all.

Top Bottom