Compare Liberty and Tradition, Head-to-Head

Arite, I loaded your map, there's not a single river farm around those parts, seems like a waste of time to improve sheep instead of farms. Also, you don't have enough workers, and you queued up a rather useless order of things. I'm guessing you rushed Chivalry before Education.

Also, you really shouldn't have worked the gems until your growth is steady

I'm fairly happy from my game, so post update. :)

This time decided to detour to chemistry and fertilizer before plastic, but gonna rush buy all labs (have good tech rate, haven't used GS on ST).

Attachments

• T147.jpg
    T147.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 186
  • My anty Songhai GPs spam defence.jpg
    My anty Songhai GPs spam defence.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 167
Arite, I loaded your map, there's not a single river farm around those parts, seems like a waste of time to improve sheep instead of farms. Also, you don't have enough workers, and you queued up a rather useless order of things. I'm guessing you rushed Chivalry before Education.

Okay, I went back to turn 95 to get 8 worker and bunch of farms. Also Education before Chivary this time. Cap is the same size, but maybe it will grow faster now? Somehow, my other cities are smaller. The numbers are mostly the same (fewer CA) but I ended up with two more techs. Universities are not online, so I think I just got luckier with stealing. This time with a screen shot.

Attachments

• Harun al-Rashid_0150 AD-0800.Civ5Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
  • civ5ss-arabia-t150.jpg
    civ5ss-arabia-t150.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 147
Beetle, I'm doing a video playthrough that I'll upload. Did two hours so far, will do another two hours later tonight.

Edit: or would you prefer I play that new one instead?

Triple edit: or, hell, would you prefer I play the game from the turn 0 save? I'm open to any of the above.

Cities are still way too small. I think you need to go back to before T95, really. What is the food surplus in the capital. Should be +25 at least.

Okay, I went back to turn 95 to get 8 worker and bunch of farms. Also Education before Chivary this time. Cap is the same size, but maybe it will grow faster now? Somehow, my other cities are smaller. The numbers are mostly the same (fewer CA) but I ended up with two more techs. Universities are not online, so I think I just got luckier with stealing. This time with a screen shot.

Your capital is probably working too much hammer tiles. Size 9 on turn 150 is ugly :/ Especially with 8 turns for next guy. There's no reason in a grassland river area.

Make sure your capital is working decent food tiles.

also, if you're running internal trade routes, you don't need Caravansaries. Your culture is looking alright-ish for that point in the game so I'd suggest tossing that and building Unis or Camels

Your capital is probably working too much hammer tiles. Size 9 on turn 150 is ugly :/ Especially with 8 turns for next guy. There's no reason in a grassland river area.

Make sure your capital is working decent food tiles.

^^This

The standard is that you want your cap to be size 20 by turn 100, bigger if you have cargo ships involved.

Size 20 on T100 is a bit unrealistic on many average map on standard speed. Start with 15. A lot of it is linked to your ability to get the finisher early too. Finishing tradition T70 or T90 will make a huge difference on capital size.

Beetle, I'm doing a video playthrough that I'll upload. Did two hours so far, will do another two hours later tonight.

Edit: or would you prefer I play that new one instead?

Triple edit: or, hell, would you prefer I play the game from the turn 0 save? I'm open to any of the above.

That is a very generous offer. I think it would have most appeal, for me and others, starting from turn zero. Salvaging a poor T150 game is not so interesting, especially when it would seem that my game is off the rails well before then! I will upload the initial file and a screen shot tonight.

Cities are still way too small. I think you need to go back to before T95, really. What is the food surplus in the capital. Should be +25 at least.

Maybe I needed a tighter bee line to Civil Service? Cap has only tiles with 3 food until then. But I think I started towards Civil Service after unlocking Philosophy, so I am not really sure what I should have been doing differently. Well except maybe internal land routes.

also, if you're running internal trade routes, you don't need Caravansaries.

Normally I don't bother with Caravansary at all, but I am enjoying playing with the UA. I can reach just about the whole Pangaea at turn 100, crazy! But yes, three internal food routes would have been stronger.

Beetle, you want to finish Tradition, research Civil Service, and have an army to defend yourself by T90 at the latest. Try another game where, after a couple of scouts and a monument, you built settlers and finish your expansion by T40, then concentrate on army and infrastructure and improving lux and hammer tiles. Then after civil service, just concentrate on working food tiles and growing the economy. See where you are at T150 again.

Try another game where, after a couple of scouts and a monument, you built settlers and finish your expansion by T40, then concentrate on army and infrastructure and improving lux and hammer tiles... you want to finish Tradition, research Civil Service, and have an army to defend yourself by T90 at the latest.

I am already trying to do all that, plus NC of course. Pretty much every game. I don't mind replaying the first 90 turns, but I am not sure of the utility of that when I don't know where my mistakes were! I cranked back to turn ~95 since that was when the first time through I started pumping out chariot archers. More workers then instead was very much a good call. With all those rivers, but no wheat or cows, an earlier Civil Service would be a huge boost.

Are you saying Civil Service before Philosophy? It seems like when I do that, NC comes way late, but I didn't try that on this map. I don't think that I ever get them both by turn 90! What in the tech tree could/should I be skipping to hit that benchmark routinely? I am already neglecting the lower part of the tech tree (e.g., barracks and iron working) to get Philosophy in time for NC by T100.

Pottery-AH-Archery-Mining should always be the first 4, 95% of the time, with the order being determined by circumstances. I usually go Mining first so workers have something to do if stolen.

BW shows where the iron is so that should be done before you start pumping settlers.

After this, beeline Philosophy for NC, then Civil Service, then Education.

You should finish NC by T85 latest.

It sounds to me like you aren't getting workers and improving hammer tiles early enough. Are you still refraining from steals even though you could have them?

Pottery-AH-Archery-Mining should always be the first 4, 95% of the time, with the order being determined by circumstances.

This I do.

BW shows where the iron is so that should be done before you start pumping settlers. After this, beeline Philosophy for NC, then Civil Service, then Education.

When/where do you tend to work in BW, lux techs, and masonry?

You should finish NC by T85 latest.

Yeah, I rarely get close to that, but I keep trying.

Are you still refraining from steals even though you could have them?

No, but I still like Pangaea plus even though it does not usually work out for CS farming. This game I was hoping to catch some AI workers/settlers with chariot archers (I only have two horse though) but no luck (or not enough skill). Yes, a couple free workers really does makes things much easier.

Waiting until you have CAs before stealing workers is a really bad move on Deity for numerous reasons. Steal them before T20 with scouts/warriors.

If you aren't going to steal workers, then build one before you pump settlers.

Top Bottom