OCC on Deity

black213

Emperor
I wish to beat Deity on OCC.
I'm an Immortal level player with three Deity wins under my belt right now. One of them was with just 2 cities, but still, OCC seems to be a monster of its own, since you can't abuse those food cargo ships.
I'll be using an 'OP' civ, Poland and the like. Any peaceful VC.
Any tips? :)

Try for a river next to a mountain. Maximize growth. Make sure you have enough archers (about 6) to defend.

Well, I posted a Babylon OCC map for DCL #18 and people told me it was too easy, not that I found it to be.

One word: Venice

Key things to look for, regardless of the civ you chose would be the following: Loads of food to help u grow, coast for cargo ships, mountain/river. A bunch of ranged to help defend are mandatory, and something extra that's rly nice is to make a "safe zone" on the tiles surrounding your city with sturdy melee units (so the enemy simply can't go for you city). It's not optimal but if you really want to be on the safe side then it's pretty handy.

Definitely DCL Babylon. It was easier than an average OCC in my opinion due to sheer number of nearby Maritime CSs, as well as your early GS allowing you to pick up ToA + HG without competition. Many people saw their (one) city grow to size 50+ by the end, I believe I didn't even break 40. But usually that might not work as well as intended.

Still, I believe it needs to work with only a few set conditions:

1. Tradition oriented civ where bonuses work per-pop rather than per-city
2. Lots of food tiles
3. River + Mountain
4. Coast with fish in it, not really mandatory but useful
5. At least 3-4 hills

Inca is my favorite by far for OCC. Aztec, Venice, Babylon, India even are still good though. Lots of civs can do well but since Civ is all about science, and science is all about population, you need growth and happiness to win with OCC, and you need *lots of it*.

You also need a bad-ass production start. (Hence Inca)

An Inca desert/mountain start can get a 10-food Petra, with tiles that normally could only be mines generating 6-7 food and 3 production. Plus, Inca is really good at self-defense. (and *scouting*, another key element of Deity)

Well in that one random start I rolled as Inca, there weren't any deserts around, and there wouldn't even be mountains :lol:

How often do the Incas spawn next to desert?

OCC on Deity is all about re-rolling for the optimal start. I'd love to see someone claim they can consistently win OCC Deity without re-rolling. :p

And if you specify Arid and 3 Billion Years, you'll get quite a bit of Desert Mountain Hills. /shrug.

Desert & Mountains aren't really that rare of a combo anyway.

Inca have a mountain/hill bias, so it's really only about getting the desert start.

OCC on Deity is all about re-rolling for the optimal start. I'd love to see someone claim they can consistently win OCC Deity without re-rolling. :p

And if you specify Arid and 3 Billion Years, you'll get quite a bit of Desert Mountain Hills. /shrug.

Desert & Mountains aren't really that rare of a combo anyway.

Inca have a mountain/hill bias, so it's really only about getting the desert start.

Not really need for re-roll if start isnt pure crap. Havent played OCC for while now but did take OCC science victory with Korea without mountain.

Yes wiining is not that difficult, on SV you can do a 250-260 and there is no way AIs will launch before that but it is true you have to have a decent start. If they attack you early, then you will delay that result by 20 turns but that is still beyond what the AI can do. Diplomacy will be very important. You can also win diplo and domination, in fact for Domination instant razing has some advantages over normal, culture is probably the most difficult one for OCC Deity, in my opinion.

Anyway, India is great for OCC, no happiness limitation of growth. Casimir is great for anything, this included. A mountain is essential for a fast finish time, but not to just win.

Moving your settler a couple of turns for the optimal start can be very helpful.

Sorry in my head for some reason I thought we were only talking about Cultural OCC. Yes, Science OCC is doable without a lucky start. Cultural OCC requires a near-ideal start on Deity.

hey that's a very nice map. I played some 150 turns of it last night, won't be a super fast win but a fairly easy one I suppose

I wish to beat Deity on OCC.
I'm an Immortal level player with three Deity wins under my belt right now. One of them was with just 2 cities, but still, OCC seems to be a monster of its own, since you can't abuse those food cargo ships.
I'll be using an 'OP' civ, Poland and the like. Any peaceful VC.
Any tips? :)

Play the Babylon DCL http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=542401

Very fun OOC :)

Top Bottom