Game 129

peter grimes

Retired Moderator
I'm hoping other people currently in game 129 will use this space to discuss.

I've only been playing since this morning, so I don't have much to offer.

Except that we Aztecs are bringing the fight to the imperial Spanish. First battle, so it should be interesting!

I am also in game 129 as SylvainF. I was in the US until now, but I just left. We just lost 2 wars against much weaker Russia because 90% of the people couldn't give a damn about the wars. Some people tried to explain, but they just wouldn't listen or wouldn't bother. Seems 10-15 players spent all they had to make up for the rest of the non-participants. (ask WyattB how much he spent on catapults...)

I do think some of it can be blamed on the terrible chat. Not only is it really laggy, but extremely disjointed and not user friendly. Makes it very hard to convey information, because you have to voluntarily stop what you're doing to go and look at the chat. And the scrolling thingy does not work, it's just annoying. A permanent separate chat window would be a lot more efficient.

Anyway, I will stick around to see the end of the game as ind. I will try another game after that if there is one, hopefully with 10-20 active players max, but so far unimpressed.

I see a lot of potential in CivWorld. But it's clear to me it's a beta. And it's closed for good reason.

I'm PeterG of the Aztecs.

So far there are only 3 of us, and between yesterday morning and today we've only been online 2 at a time. I agree with you about the chat - I was tempted to Skype to overcome the problems.

You can always join us Egyptians too ;-)

Yeah, the chate needs some cleaning up so to be more efficient to be used. Like, not popups, but a separate column and more focused "strategy discussion".

What do you guys think, might the production and food focus somehow be due to the fact that there are no minigames there?

i was pretty upset about that got an invite to world 132 so im gonna play that now...

Can't say I blame you, I went broke as well but I didn't spend as much as you did. Anyway, I'm also on 132l, hope it'll be more interesting for this game...

I'm in the British Commonwealth, FrancescoS. I can't understand how to optimize worker production though...

Pepere - you are in 2 games? I didn't know that was possible.

@Riker:
What do you mean about optimizing worker production? Are you asking about how to achieve 20 production from a single worker? More workers living closer together and closer to their resource makes them work better.

I spent a couple hours today examining the cities of people who have lots of medals. Especially the ones who are independents, or in small civs. Clearly these players are up to something, and must have a strategy.

One of the things I found curious was how spread out their cities are. All of my junk is all crammed into a tight little space. Makes it tough to maximize housing and farming. But these people have stuff spread out wide. Also, they tend to specialize: Someone will be running nothing but merchants, someone will be running nothing but production, etc. Makes me think they are testing mechanics or something.

It's rare to see a city controlled by a 'high' player that's got a blend of citizen types.

It just makes sense to specialize, since everything can be sold for money and money can be spent for whatever you want. But it's a stupid concept, because you just need to place strategically 1 production building per type and then to relocate gratis all your houses around the one you need (coulture, food, etc.) atm. It also bugs me that making merchants seems pointless, since other stuff is worth more than 1 gold coin apiece...

Pepere - you are in 2 games? I didn't know that was possible.

One of the messages I got tonight when I logged back in was a notice that I could run more then one game. The message indicated I was to go to the Civ World Lobby. I didn't look around to figure out where that was, but it is possible.

I am in 2 games. Don't know why, but all of a sudden I got a message saying I as eligible for another game.

Short optimizing tips:

You need people to be happy, and upgrade gathering buildings.

-Same job people like to live next to one another, next to water, next to forest.
-You need 1 resource per people, close to gathering building, close to home.

So yes, spread out. Create mini hubs for prod, food, culture, science.

For example, my workers live next to one another, right next to Stone mason, and close to forests and water. They have no need to go back to town. You just need a short distance between House-Stone-Stone Mason.

And I got to create Roman Empire, doing well so far.

I am ArtP and I'm ranked as #185 on some chart. The date is 1811 AD.

Quick and Dirty Semi Roster (in thread posting order)

Peter Grimes as PeterG: Aztecs
wabatt as WyattB: America
Pepere as SylvainF: unaligned (post 3)
mitsho as ? : Egypt
Riker as FrancescoS: Britian
CommandoBob as ArtP: unaligned (and generally clueless at this point)
donsig as DonaldS: America
Bastian-Bux as AndreasB: America

Intuitive Interfaces generally aren't.

I acquired a Great Artist. Great and useless. But I cannot complete the picture puzzle (did not see that there was a swap limit).

Laggy. Very laggy.

1. Maybe if the Civlopedia opened in another window? I would rather Alt+Tab than scroll down.
  2. And howabout a tool (like on Google Maps) to let you recenter the map without having to click on a tile?
  3. Let me get this straight: I am at Size 2 and I need 320 food to grow to size 3. When I 'harvest' I get 2 food, and it doesn't appear to matter if my minions are in the corn field or the vegetable garden. I am at 237 food. I need over 40 harvests to grow to size 3? Really? And I'll gain one more harvest in about 3 hours to bring my total available harvests to 35.
  4. I really don't care to watch my minions work. It is distracting eye-candy.
  5. I don't think I've been in the game for more than 1 hour.

Well, after 2 games, it's official: I'm out. I came in as a non-social gaming guy, and that is way more influential than a Civ fan.

Just a few things:
-I don't like the fact that I control just a very small part of my nation's action, and that the actions of a few can destroy everything planned.
-I hate that people can change things while I'm asleep.
-I hate the feeling that I'm doing something wrong if I'm not logging in frequently.
-Closed Nations exploit means everybody will be doing it unless they change the rules. 3 people will win 132 with golden age exploit.
-Promotion system is random, that's a nonsense.
-Mini-games? yeah right...

Anyway I know these are Facebook game type things, but as I said, I hadn't done any yet, and I won't do it again.

Good luck to you in 132 and 129... Back to Civ4 I go.

I'm also in #129 - just figured that out today. I'm DonaldS in America. Glad to see a couple of my friends in here (PeterGrimes and CommandoBob). I hope we get to play another one together. The whole point of these types of games is to band together with friends and play as a team. This is my first try at CivWorld and I'm stuck on a team with loads of people I don't know.

It's a big learning experience. I'm sorry to hear Pepere left the Americans and gave up on CivWorld. I spent all my gold buying units in that first Russian war so I know how he feels but then again I just figured out today that we can make units with hammers. I thought we could only buy them. :hammer2: I'm still in the dark about much of the game but I can illuminate some of the points raised here.

@CommandoBob: Your minions collect food, hammers, beakers, etc. constantly. It looks to me like every couple minutes something gets added to the stockpiles. Harvests come every hour and provide a bonus above and beyond this constant accumulation. I did read that if you have more than 24 or 25 harvests stocked up then you get newer harvests slower. So it pays to cash those harvests in. You also have some control over what the harvest brings in. Pepere posted some tactics for this.

I think the biggest use of great people is building wonders. Basically, a player can add only one great person to a wonder so building one is a team effort.

Top Bottom