Rebels

Celtic Warrior

Warlord
The rebels in RTW are driving me :crazyeye:.

I capture a city and garrison it with a few troops. The next turn they kick me out and I have to recapture the city. I easily crush them each time but it is an annoyance as I can't make any long term plans for the city or send my army else where to fight new battles.

I know the rebels can be modded out completely but I don't want to do that. I just neeed to know how to stop the rebels, do I need certain buliding, governors or something?

Keep the public order at 70%+
Anything lower has a chance of rebellion.
Here are ways to keep up order
Build buidlings to increase public order. Destroy buildings of different culture if there is a culture penalty. Send governor with good management/influence. Keep a garrison in the city- open up the city details ccroll to have 80% garrison increase. You can't have anything higher than 80% so anything more is a wasted unit, and in case of siege or rebellion more units that can get hurt without even fighting.

Edit-
When capturing the city, it might be a good idea to exterminate the city.
I usually do this when my public order is in the red right away.

Lower the taxes, garrison more troops, build happiness-related buildings (such as temples), massacre the population and don't build any farms to keep the population low, etc.

EXTERMINATE POPULOUS

The most useful tool in the game. Everything became so much easier when you kill them and let the city grow under your control. It's good to enslave upon capture and exterminate upon rebellion.

If a city begins to become uncontrollable - and I do usually use this as a last resort - I simply march the army out of the settlement, then when it revolts I conquer and exterminate.

LightSpectra said:
and don't build any farms to keep the population low, etc.

Is this true? I always build farms as I believed the citizens would get pissed off at me for not supporting their growing population. If I don't have to, then that would be groovy.

Oh and an addition; you could also move your capital to a more central location for a less bloodier way.

What I do when a city is going to rebel no matter what: destroy all the military buildings or coliseum, move all your troops out of the city, let the city rebel, retake it, and exterminate.

Seems a bit extreme... Unless you're role-playing as Nero, I suppose. ;)

Is this true? I always build farms as I believed the citizens would get pissed off at me for not supporting their growing population. If I don't have to, then that would be groovy.

Farms do nothing but make the population grow, so if you plan on having a long drawn out campaign you might not want your cities to get too big.

Exterminate worked. Never had a revolt after.

How many units is it advisible to garrison a city?

I generally use 3 townwatch.

Is that enough or too much?

Exterminate worked. Never had a revolt after.

How many units is it advisible to garrison a city?

Bigger settlements will require more units, while you can get away with one unit on smaller settlements.
Best way to check is just open the settlements detail scroll and where it shows you what is affecting public order, putting your mouse over garrison will give you a percent from 0 to 80. If it is at 80, remove units until it changes (then put one back to make it 80). Not all units are created equal- so a unit with 120 men will give more public order than a unit of wardogs that only has 20 something men in it. So- peasents are the most cost effective garrison.

With that said, in some cases it is not necessary to go for 80% PO increase from garrison. Smaller towns will usually have higher public order. So if you are well in the green on public order but only have 20% PO increase from garrisson, leave it at that as remember you must pay money each turn for every unit even the ones garrisoned. So that is wasted money.

I usually garrison 4 units, 2 or 3 cheap melee (like leveie spearmen or something) units and 1 or 2 archer or peltrasts. That way I don't have to worry abotu garrisoning it again and it will ward off any small forces from attacking it.

Just use one until your public order approaches 70%, then built one more. I you're very near danger, you may want about three phalanx per city. If you got skillz you can use three phalanx to save you from nearly any invasion. But chances are the AI will attack a lightly-defended city with a light attack force. Typically the AI tries to match your force so they don't waste any men.

Just use one until your public order approaches 70%, then built one more. I you're very near danger, you may want about three phalanx per city. If you got skillz you can use three phalanx to save you from nearly any invasion. But chances are the AI will attack a lightly-defended city with a light attack force. Typically the AI tries to match your force so they don't waste any men.

I'm guessing the AI has improved with DarthMod. Cause they attack with small-medium sized armies.

This is something I've never understood, no matter how much I've played RTW: How do you designate the capital?
It took me a while to find it, but pull up the city view panel, then press one of the buttons on the lower left (Show Settlement Details) and then press another button on it, which should say "Set to Capital."

EXTERMINATE POPULOUS
Only if you want to strangle your economy in that city for the next several turns.

The most useful tool in the game. Everything became so much easier when you kill them and let the city grow under your control. It's good to enslave upon capture and exterminate upon rebellion.
I enslave the cities, as it helps the other cities of my nation. It doesn't hurt that cities economy so much, it helps your other cities, and it helps cut down on the rebellious nature of the newly acquired citizens. Or else keep your big army there for several turns and slowly pull them out after capturing the city.

Top Bottom