News: TSG3 Announcement

I'm not sure this is currently an exploit -- I was playing a different game last night, and conquer/raze definitely was raising my policy costs:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=385631

Please keep us updated with your findings. There has been reports that the SP cost drops significantly if you get rid of cities, so any evidence to the contrary would be interesting indeed. :goodjob:

Please keep us updated with your findings. There has been reports that the SP cost drops significantly if you get rid of cities, so any evidence to the contrary would be interesting indeed. :goodjob:

After walking through my quicksaves and noting city status and policy counters, it appears that I was incorrect, and that the policy requirement was correctly dropping when the city finished razing. I was very tired when I thought I saw this (ONE MORE TURN), and expected the policy behavior to be similar to the happiness behavior (you don't gain any unhappiness if you choose to raze immediately, but apparently you take the policy hit til it finishes burning).

Brilliant. Thanks for that. If games are going to be short, are there gonna be more that one a month?

Also, is there gonna be a discussion before a set of possible games are given? For example, if a certain tech rush becomes a standard play in tech/military focused games (beelines to Acoustics/Gunpowder+Fertilizer), would you consider avoiding them in a 'reach x age' game, or would you, as you've said with city gifts on this GotM, accept anything that is possible, even if in some ppl's view the strategy is fundamentally overpowered?

I stand on the side of the fence of 'competitive etiquette' etc. so I'm not using ICS/city gifts at the moment, but may have to if they prove to be the dominant methods.

@KidJustKid: The Training Series Games are running every second week, although this game was delayed a bit due to the new patch. The proper Civ5 GOTM competition will probably run once a month.

We will try to make the 'reach x age' game as open as possible i.e. trying to set them up so that there are multiple alternatives. We will of course need help from the community to avoid stupid criteria, and perhaps publish the announcement thread a few days ahead without providing the save to enable players to warn us. This will also open up for good discussions on how players plan to play the game.

The preferred victory is Cultural, although all victory conditions are enabled
What means "preferred"? Will "culture" win get some bonus to score? Please clarify

Have not had problems with TSG1 &2. i download TSG3 and try to start and Windows Vista 64 asks what program to use. No selection available it will recognize. On line browse has same result. Is this some d@!m Steam issue or what. This whole CIV 5 experience is becoming quite a hassle. How do I play this download. Help
:(

What version of Civ5 do you have, the basic one or the special edition, the one that came with the figures?

I think we have seen problems with updates of special edition playing saves made before the 1.0.062 patch. Another patch came out, 1.0.0621. Do you have that one?

What means "preferred"? Will "culture" win get some bonus to score? Please clarify

It means that we suggest you to win a cultural game so that you can compare your game with all other players. You will not be penalized for winning a different type of victory. Does this make it more clear?

Have not had problems with TSG1 &2. i download TSG3 and try to start and Windows Vista 64 asks what program to use. No selection available it will recognize. On line browse has same result. Is this some d@!m Steam issue or what. This whole CIV 5 experience is becoming quite a hassle. How do I play this download. Help
:(

You need to copy the 'Civ5save' file to .../Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Saves/single

That's the directory for local saves. Once the file's there, open Civ 5 as you normally would, hit Single Player, Load game, and the file will be there as a save at the start of the game.

This is NOT a competition and there are no awards, so I am not clear what you mean by 'bonus'. It's a series of training games to give you and us an idea of what it will take to run a competition.

When I publish a list of submissions at the end of this game, I shall list Culture wins first, ordered by increasing finish date, then other wins and losses. Games where the player doesn't provide a save will be separately listed as 'unverified'. If you consider that as a 'bonus' for Culture wins, then the answer to your question is - yes.

Leif- I have the basic store bought version. Haven't patched anything. Where do I find that info??Assumed Steam did that as it keeps trying to sell me some other drivel I am not interested in. Thought that was why I can't play the game without them.

Kid- Thanks I will try loading save into my CIV 5 Saves folder but I don't think I had to do this in the previous 2 Training saves.

@BakeliteRules - perhaps this advice will solve your problem? Make sure you are connected to internet :crazyeye:

You can enable/disable automatic patching of each game automatically. Go to the properties for Civ5, and navigate the tabs to find the option. If that doesn't help, try do close Steam completely (no icon in the task tray that is typically in the lower right corner), then start steam again. This will normally trigger a search for updates.

Kid- Thanks I will try loading save into my CIV 5 Saves folder but I don't think I had to do this in the previous 2 Training saves.

As far as I know, and certainly on my XP system, Civ5 cannot load a double clicked save. As Kid suggests, you have to put it into your saves\single\ folder and load it from the main game menu. That has been the case for all three training games.

Note that you can't use Load Game to select saves that are anywhere else other than the appropriate Saves, Autosaves or Steam Cloud locations. So downloading the start file to your desktop is not enough.

You *can* persuade Windows to open Civ5 when you double click a save, by using the message box you get when you try, and telling it to use the Civ5 exe for all Civ5Save files. But it still won't load the save you clicked until you select it from the main menu's Load Game option, so it's not a lot of use.

I just want to make sure i understand this, we all get the same map when the event starts and we play single player with the settings listed? And whoever wins first with most points wins?

Welcome to GOTM. :wavey:

Yes, I think you have it correct.

What we are trying to achieve in this friendly competition is to see who performs the best given the same save, with a map, leader and settings. You are competing against the other players who play the save, not just the AI. This provides comparability so that we can all learn from the experience of playing together as we post our stories in the spoiler threads and see how others solved the problems we faced. :)

The ultimate goal is to increase the level and proficiency of play of the CivFanatics community. :high5:

edit - As to who wins, we are trying to decide whether highest score or fastest finish is the best indicator of game play.

I just want to make sure i understand this, we all get the same map when the event starts and we play single player with the settings listed? And whoever wins first with most points wins?

The goal is to finish your game with the given victory condition using the fewest turns.

How quickly you post your game to the forum or play through the turns makes no difference, aside from getting it submitted in time for the final determination.

Top Bottom