[Reference] Colour Schemes of Released Modded Civs

Okay, I'll make those changes and use that new template at some point.

I actually did all of yours but with the old template of mine with the inverse colors. This just saves me the trouble of having to redo them ;)

It's not so much as having the inverse for the sake of having the inverse, but rather to compare both colours. If you just have the background, then civs with a similar background colour seem too close, but when you've got both you can compare them and see they're different enough. Polynesia and the Maratha, for example:

Despite having similar colours (they're the closest I could find on short notice), having both there side-by-side shows how different both the icon and background colours are from each other, while clearly showing background and icon without confusion between the two in a way that's easy to reproduce (I've got a .psd template that just requires changing the colour overlays, placing the 256 icon file and changing the civ name) and clear to read. If you like this, I've got some time now and can whip through the vanilla and More Civs civs, as well as any others where the author gives me the 256 sized icon (and RGB values if they want to be more specific)

EDIT: And this is why I hate fast moving topics. I still think we need a solid version of the icon colour, since it's hard to compare them when it's just the text. But that's just my opinion.

It's not so much as having the inverse for the sake of having the inverse, but rather to compare both colours. If you just have the background, then civs with a similar background colour seem too close, but when you've got both you can compare them and see they're different enough. Polynesia and the Maratha, for example:

Despite having similar colours (they're the closest I could find on short notice), having both there side-by-side shows how different both the icon and background colours are from each other, while clearly showing background and icon without confusion between the two in a way that's easy to reproduce (I've got a .psd template that just requires changing the colour overlays, placing the 256 icon file and changing the civ name) and clear to read. If you like this, I've got some time now and can whip through the vanilla and More Civs civs, as well as any others where the author gives me the 256 sized icon (and RGB values if they want to be more specific)

EDIT: And this is why I hate fast moving topics. I still think we need a solid version of the icon colour, since it's hard to compare them when it's just the text. But that's just my opinion.

It's look nicer, but doesn't seem necessary. Having the same or an indistinguishable background is the only thing that causes problems in-game; i.e. they can't be discerned from one another on the map. The text/icon colour just doesn't really matter so much.

But this isn't just about making them distinguishable on the map, it's about giving them an identifiable colour scheme, and the icon colour is literally 50% of that job. If it wasn't, Firaxis would have just given everyone one colour and left it at that. The icon colour distinguishes city states from barbarians from Buccaneers, and allows similar background colours to become distinct. Take Egypt and Siam:

Very similar background colour, but overall a different colour scheme because of the icon colour. I think it's important to be able to compare the icon colour properly too, as although it's not as important on the minimap, overall it's just as important as a distinct background colour

Yes, but the difference between backgrounds needs to be more precise than the difference between icon colours. The latter can be made without as much careful observation. Suffice to say, this requires less effort anyway.

Here are my civs: http://imgur.com/a/hmLym

Alright, did some rectangles for my released civs, excluding the Boers. With 2

Thread updated - Lookin' remarkably sexy now.

Okay, so I ended up going off and making my version with the icon for the Vanilla and DLC civs, partially for the hell of it, partially because I'd use it anyway and partially because I wasn't sure if it had been finalised. I'm going to cover some more anyway, but it's up to you guys what version we go with - it's not like it's much more work, and if you're comparing colours you might as well compare both, regardless of what role they play in the game. Either way, the album is here, use them if you want. And if we do end up going with this version, either I can upload the template or you can flick me the 256 icons and I can do it for you. It takes like a minute at most once I have the icon, so it's no sweat for me to cover them.

EDIT: Uploaded G&K and BNW civs. Template here

Hmm, it seems that in the template, the text layer is an image rather than text and I can't change it with removing it entirely. Or am I missing something? I'm using the PSD plugin for paint.net, so...

I've never used Paint.net so I can't really speak for compatibility.

The graphic, if you use the same dimensions is easily recreatable in pretty much all image manipulators. You can even recreate it in MS Paint quite easily.

All you need is the exact colour combos and the Century Gothic font.

Imbangala is actually Hoop Thrower's civilization.

I remember somebody was claiming that Gallia is too similar to Bulgaria. :think:

[IMG]https://i.imgflip.com/bvdfc.jpg[/IMG]

I remember somebody was claiming that Gallia is too similar to Bulgaria. :think:

You're the one who coded it so I figured you know! I'd pretty much handle it the same way for the Hashshashin.

Still do think Gallia could use a change. I'd have personally gone for, say, a dark green on a slightly ruddy gray, maybe like the inverse of Imbangala but more vivid-ish.

Is it mine? But I've done nothing on it! (yet)

I feel odd having a civ without having done anything on it beyond just concepting it... but it's a nice gift, so thanks. :)

Here's my three released mods:

Erm, is there a copy of the template in not-.psd format? :please: Like .dds maybe? I don't have photoshop; I use Gimp. (special Gimp format is .xcf for the record)
EDIT: Nevermind, apparently manually changing the file extension to .xcf doesn't corrupt the file. It works fine now.
Another EDIT: Is it okay to put the RGB values at the bottom of the template?

Sorry for all the mixups lately, but Pouakai has gone and made a new template which we'll probably be using. It will involve a tad more effort in creating but all in all will look a tad better.

Yeah, TPangolin and I were talking and we decided to go with the larger version which I made, which had solid icon colour and the icon, like these. The template is here, all it requires is replacing the icon with your one (set the position to 128 x 128 to get it in the centre) then changing the colour overlays to the civ colours and the text to match. It's a bit more work than just text on a background, but it's a lot better in terms of comparing the colours to ensure they're different. I've already covered the More Civs ones here, and am going to work on JFD's and Colonialist Legacies' ones today

Top Bottom