Theming bonuses

Edgehopper

Chieftain
So, has anyone figured out how to determine what combinations get bonuses? I acquired Whistler's Mother, Blue Boy, and American Gothic in my game, figuring that some combination of these late 19th/early 20th century American paintings would be worth something, but no. I did get a +2 bonus combining Les Miserables and something by Jules Verne.

Ya somebody explain this. I thought theming bonuses were based on buildings?

The tooltip tells you. Usually the works have to be from the same civ and era, but the Louvre requires all the works to be from different civs AND different eras.

The tooltip tells you. Usually the works have to be from the same civ and era, but the Louvre requires all the works to be from different civs AND different eras.

So it has nothing to do with real world theming, and my French literature combo just happened to be right? Good to know :)

So, has anyone figured out how to determine what combinations get bonuses? I acquired Whistler's Mother, Blue Boy, and American Gothic in my game, figuring that some combination of these late 19th/early 20th century American paintings would be worth something, but no. I did get a +2 bonus combining Les Miserables and something by Jules Verne.

The named identity of the work isn't relevant, except possibly in the case of the Parthenon (I haven't tried moving that to another building to see if the rate changes). "Theme" refers to the characteristics associated with the artifact/Great Work - its era and the civ that created it.

The theming bonuses are basically all of the type "same civ and era" or "different civ and era",. maybe one or two "same civ, different era" - sadly it's a very bland system.

I made this same mistake! I was actually checking the nationality of authors on wikipedia before I found the tooltip. I thought Civ was actually trying to teach me history!

I'm sort of sad about the reality, I wish you could click a great work and get a one paragraph history lesson it and its creator, then you had to find/create your own theming bonus combinations. It would be a great place for easter eggs (like a theming bonus for all paintings of flowers, or all books of poetry, or something)

It doesn't matter what specific piece of art it is, just who in-game produced it and the age it was produced in, agan, in-game. For example, with museums you get +2 bonus of the Civ is same for both artifacts/artworks, or if they're from the same time period, but you can receive a +4 bonus if the artifacts or artworks are from the same era and Civilization.

I made this same mistake! I was actually checking the nationality of authors on wikipedia before I found the tooltip. I thought Civ was actually trying to teach me history!

I'm sort of sad about the reality, I wish you could click a great work and get a one paragraph history lesson it and its creator, then you had to find/create your own theming bonus combinations. It would be a great place for easter eggs (like a theming bonus for all paintings of flowers, or all books of poetry, or something)

Right? That does sound like a lot more fun. Maybe a good mod to make?

Right? That does sound like a lot more fun. Maybe a good mod to make?

Perhaps, but a task for only the most dedicated. That could take a year of scouring Wikipedia and other sources!

So does all of this make the game better? I have to admit that so far I've pretty much ignored this aspect of the new game . . . I was too busy putzing around with trade routes.

So does all of this make the game better? I have to admit that so far I've pretty much ignored this aspect of the new game . . . I was too busy putzing around with trade routes.

That's a pretty big mistake. You should at least get maximum theming bonus in your museums. that's +2 tourism, four with the aesthetics finisher, the same amount as the artifacts you would put into it! ;)

The whole theming bonus thing is to encourage you to either trade some of your own works for a diverse collection, or make you concentrate on a certain era's Great Works.

Could be fun, though the point of the system is to combine YOUR creations, not real world achievements. Such mechanism as you propose it would make the game more random.

There's more to do and manage if you're going for a cultural victory. You're out digging up artifacts, generating great works, participating in the world congress, all to get as much tourism as possible. A big step up from simply waiting for a few policy trees to fill up IMO.

That's a pretty big mistake. You should at least get maximum theming bonus in your museums. that's +2 tourism, four with the aesthetics finisher, the same amount as the artifacts you would put into it! ;)

Oh, I'm doing horribly and expected that going into the game. ;)

Could be fun, though the point of the system is to combine YOUR creations, not real world achievements. Such mechanism as you propose it would make the game more random.

Fair enough, but since they use real writers and works, it looks kind of odd.

"People are flocking to the Museum of Rio de Janeiro to see the juxtaposition of a Japanese ink portrait and Whistler's Mother!"

Though I suppose in a game where Istanbul and Constantinople can be cities on different continents, and Les Miserables can be written 2000 years before the French Revolution, anything goes :)

The theming bonus as it is has had one interesting effect on my gameplay -- still going through my first playthrough, having just finished Uffizi last night I was dabbling with my great works to see what to put where and figured out how the theming bonuses worked. I've already got the Sistine Chapel (currently with two Renaissance Great Works from my civ for its theme bonus), but since Uffizi wants three Great Works from the same time period from the same civ, I checked to see when my next Great Artist would pop up -- about 13 turns. I then realized that, since I was currently researching Archaelogy, I'd end up in the Industrial era before my next Great Work appeared. So I switched my tech research to other Renaissance techs until I get my Great Work, so I can fill up Uffizi instead of the Sistine Chapel. Perhaps not the most optimal choice, but I'd rather try and get the 3 Renaissance works now, rather than gamble I can get them all in a future era. :p

I'll admit, I was originally expecting each work to have a certain "theme" assigned to it, like "war" or "nature" or whatever, and you'd get bonuses for collecting them together. But the system as it is does force you to give a bit more thought as to exactly when and where you use your Great Writers, Artists, and Musicians, as you may want to produce their works within a certain time frame.

The theming bonus as it is has had one interesting effect on my gameplay -- still going through my first playthrough, having just finished Uffizi last night I was dabbling with my great works to see what to put where and figured out how the theming bonuses worked. I've already got the Sistine Chapel (currently with two Renaissance Great Works from my civ for its theme bonus), but since Uffizi wants three Great Works from the same time period from the same civ, I checked to see when my next Great Artist would pop up -- about 13 turns. I then realized that, since I was currently researching Archaelogy, I'd end up in the Industrial era before my next Great Work appeared. So I switched my tech research to other Renaissance techs until I get my Great Work, so I can fill up Uffizi instead of the Sistine Chapel. Perhaps not the most optimal choice, but I'd rather try and get the 3 Renaissance works now, rather than gamble I can get them all in a future era. :p

I'll admit, I was originally expecting each work to have a certain "theme" assigned to it, like "war" or "nature" or whatever, and you'd get bonuses for collecting them together. But the system as it is does force you to give a bit more thought as to exactly when and where you use your Great Writers, Artists, and Musicians, as you may want to produce their works within a certain time frame.

I did the exact same thing with Uffizi. I put off the Industrial era by a few turns so I could generate a third Renaissance Great Artist to stick in there.

Fair enough, but since they use real writers and works, it looks kind of odd.

"People are flocking to the Museum of Rio de Janeiro to see the juxtaposition of a Japanese ink portrait and Whistler's Mother!"

Though I suppose in a game where Istanbul and Constantinople can be cities on different continents, and Les Miserables can be written 2000 years before the French Revolution, anything goes :)

In a game where China can build the Pyramids and Egypt can build the Great Wall, using historical accuracy for great works of art would be pretty confusing. :)

I did the exact same thing with Uffizi. I put off the Industrial era by a few turns so I could generate a third Renaissance Great Artist to stick in there.

Or holding on to that Great Musician until after you've finished Broadway.

In response to the whole accuracy versus gameplay versus immersion thing, it would be cool if you tended to get more of one or two styles of art. For example, Japan and Korea gets more oriental ink portraits, while England and Sweden tends to get more impressionist renaissance stuff. Just a thought.

I'm just playing my first game and as has been mentioned, I have been more focused on trade routes than anything else.

Could someone point me in the direction of what "theming" is about? I see it mentione a few times and Phil Bowles explains above how it happens, but I'm not convinced I know what it achieves.

Also- "trade your artifacts"- what is the mechanic for that?

Top Bottom