Maps of NESing V

File size and connection speeds aren't the problem: it remains difficult to get free and easy access image hosting above 1MB. You're basically forced to use something suboptimal for images like RapidFire or link people into Google Files or DA or whatever.

File size and connection speeds aren't the problem: it remains difficult to get free and easy access image hosting above 1MB. You're basically forced to use something suboptimal for images like RapidFire or link people into Google Files or DA or whatever.

You can host the image on DA and have them inline here easily enough though once you've got the account set up in the first place.

So it does! That would've been good to know earlier. Here's a sneak peak of what an actual network map would look like.

That's about halfway through the 17ly links, and it will go up through 20ly links, except the two yellows which are 23 and 25. Idea is 20 is the maximum "safe" distance, although you start incurring a chance of something bad happening beyond 12. The blue and orange networks are the major "interconnected" systems at 12 or less, while red are isolated, small networks. White is any jump 13 or more.

The aesthetics need some tweaking (and to distinguish 13 through 20 jumps, among other things) and there'll also be a non-spatially related network map and possibly an isometric 3D network map as well since it might be a little hard to read by itself.

This needs some more definition in the 15ly-20ly jump range (more different colors?) but otherwise seems alright. Speak up while you can!

Spoiler :

Here's a preview of the map that I'll be using for my next NES. I decided to keep it simple (stupid). I quite like the turnout.

We don't want a next NES :(

This NES is related to NutraNESIV.5! And it's just a NES for me to run till I can fully devote myself to something as large as a freshstart NES. IV.5 isn't done! Not by a long shot.

edit: More progress on the map.

Spoiler :

A map I made about 3 years ago, while I was reading Before They are Hanged, by Joe Abercrombie. Yes, Nessan.

Done with Greenfish relief map generator, paint and picnik. Don't judge me. I realize now it is a JPG, but it intended to be slightly blurred. I was going for an old map effect and had no idea what I was doing.

I still don't.

I personally feel that all fantasy-nes' should have a Nessos or Nessan. You know, to be meta.

So I do not know if this has been posted before, but this site is a great tool for creating hex maps.

I tend to just choose the 'transparent' background, save that image, and load it up into photoshop where I can put it into my own layer.

Are potential newbies allowed to ask for help/advice with mapmaking here?
I haven't played an NES yet (still looking for a moderately early on one to join, I've considered TerraNES upon others suggestion), though, eventually, I would like to GM my own.

However, my issue is a combined lack of artistic skill and many editing tools (I have MS Paint, GIMP 2, and Photoshop Elements at my disposal).
Does anyone have advice for:
Creating geographically realistic maps? (I.E., bays, rivers, elevations, climate zones, etc.)
Editing these maps to look of better quality? (While still maintaining editability, but without having a poor quality.)
I may post a few more questions in here later, if permitted.

Anybody can discuss maps here :) I'm not a good person to answer your later questions, however, so I leave that to someone else.

Hey. I am trying to make a map that is functional and believable (to a certain extent). I need any help I can get.

I am thinking the left-most landmass is roughly the distance of the United Kingdom, south to north (so you can get a very rough idea of scale).

Right now, I'm thinking I want to bring the northern coast of that landmass in a little bit -- make it narrower.

Thoughts? Assistance?

I redrew the Jaredia map in NES format back in 2007... it makes for interesting possibilities. :D

Top Bottom