Regarding NES Moderation

Certainly, there were points at which it seemed like the moderation staff was taking sides in the whole Amon debate. Furthermore most of his inflammatory posts were allowed to stand. Moderation, when it needs to be used, must be applied without respect to opinion. Personally, I am probably closer to Amon on the ideological spectrum than other people in this forum, but I find it reprehensible that his arguments were allowed to stand while the arguments of those opposing him were deleted.

I still have no idea if he was infracted.

This is not a tyranny, why would we want to exclude someone purposely? Because of some quarrel? As far as I know there is nothing wrong with the inclusion rules.

Because game standards and setting fidelity. If someone can't deliver the expected standard you don't use them. Imagine if you have to use Windows ME for your day to day operations.

@North King: I clarified, after realizing that what I said was a bit inflammatory. When it comes to culture, obviously we're each going to have different views of what we believe to be our community culture. I just believe that the direction our culture has gone is what has led to the conflicts, and that the moderators have not become more oppressive, but rather we have become more aggressive and negligent with our own behavior.

Okay, I was done here, but I refuse to let that fly. What, precisely, is the problem with "NESing culture"?

IMO the problem is we're controversial, irreverent, inquisitive, assertive, educated, and fairly coherent as a social group. Many of us have known each other for years, grown into adults, and become more than the NES threads or any one forum.

I honestly think the 'shift-of-focus' is best for everyone.

But I suspect many of us will remain active on CFC.

If NES is not to be merged into IoT: has anyone considered Thlayli for moderator?

Has Thlayli volunteered for that position? I think it is important that if such a thing is an option, no one's name is put into the hat who isn't ready and willing to take on the responsibilities the position entails ... and all that jazz. Not that I have any objections to that proposition if it's something Thlayli is willing to do, though.

IMO the problem is we're controversial, irreverent, inquisitive, assertive, educated, and fairly coherent as a social group. Many of us have known each other for years, grown into adults, and become more than the NES threads or any one forum.

I honestly think the 'shift-of-focus' is best for everyone.

But I suspect many of us will remain active on CFC.

If NES is not to be merged into IoT: has anyone considered Thlayli for moderator?

I certainly agree that a shift of focus should take place, also Thlayli would be my choice too.

I would support him if he wants to take that responsibility.

@Kozmos, I agree that there are standards that must be respected, but this is an old problem that does not need to be resurrected.

I think my biggest issue with Nesing is how "WWW" is ran. I recognize that this is a broader site, and that there is a place called Off Topic for Off topic conversations. The thing is, I don't want to talk with Off Topic about these things. I want to talk with NESers. I do on occasion try posting outside of the Nesing forum, but for the most part, I want to stay here. The Nesing subforum is my most visited tab, and I really prefer just chilling in our subforum.

Also, the ban of PDMA is a bit police state-y isn't it? :/ It really contributes to an "us vs them" environment.

On the regard of Moderation, I would support Thlayli as a mod sure, but I think there are other issues that need to be resolved first before the Nessing community migrates back to CFC.

Just my $0.02 though.

I missed that Crezth was threatened with legal action. [/I]
He was not, he was warned that he was exposing himself to legal action by another party.

Lefty Scaevola said:
You are lucky he does not like to use government intervention. He would have an easy libel case in most USA or commonwealth jurisdictions.
As you see there, zero threat or even suggestion that I would take any action.
(For that matter, I would have no legal standing to do so anyway on behalf of some third party.)

Which bring us to a censorship topic. When we see apparently libelous matter posted at CFC, we will obliterate it. When we see a campaign of libel, we will quash it.

As a point of reassurance, I am unaware of any consideration at this time to merging NES with Iot.

that the moderators have not become more oppressive,

Which bring us to a censorship topic. When we see apparently libelous matter posted at CFC, we will obliterate it. When we see a campaign of libel, we will quash it.

Game, set, match.

This thread was a nice thought, BSmith, but you really shouldn't start things like this unless you can deliver.

Plotinus, BSmith, please take note -- this is exactly what I have been talking about.

Lefty believes that our concerns are a campaign of libel. He's not taking our concerns seriously, because he is already approaching this topic with a desired outcome in mind; he is prima facie biased.

Statements like this are why we do not trust many members of the mod staff to deal with us fairly and impartially.

I would welcome an indigenous mod, as it were, but I fear that the environment is already too toxic, thanks to statements like this one.

Libel kind of has to cause harm. I'm really not seeing it but I know the US courts are very hilarious in their definitions and ineptitude.

Wouldn't whether or not it is libelous depend on whether or not the party and/or parties who would (prior to a countersuit accusing libel) in bringing suit against Amon Savag for his statements, be able to prove whether or not those statements fall under the Brandenburg Test for incitement to imminent violent action?

I'm not entirely sure if it satisfies the test, but his statements were frankly disturbing, and I'm not sure if it's entirely wise for individuals in positions of authority to be defending an individual who says it is right and just to take violent action against the authorities.

I'm certain that you don't support his statements and are just making a semantic case, right?

Lefty believes that our concerns are a campaign of libel.
Clarify what "our concerns" are.
What I am referring to as a campaign of libel is multiple members repeatedly accusing another member of serious criminality. A everyone here is should be happy with that being binned as soon as possible (before you could see it?) to reduce legal exposures.

I think my biggest issue with Nesing is how "WWW" is ran. I recognize that this is a broader site, and that there is a place called Off Topic for Off topic conversations. The thing is, I don't want to talk with Off Topic about these things. I want to talk with NESers. I do on occasion try posting outside of the Nesing forum, but for the most part, I want to stay here. The Nesing subforum is my most visited tab, and I really prefer just chilling in our subforum.

Also, the ban of PDMA is a bit police state-y isn't it? :/ It really contributes to an "us vs them" environment.

On the regard of Moderation, I would support Thlayli as a mod sure, but I think there are other issues that need to be resolved first before the Nessing community migrates back to CFC.

Just my $0.02 though.

But why don't you just use #nes then? Non-NES, off topic conversations are clearly beyond the point of the WWW thread.

Personally I do not believe that a moderator that NES community has a specific grievance against should be posting in a thread that seems to be designed to reduce tension between NES community an site moderation.

Especially if he walks in here flaunting and reminding people of his status as a moderator and uses hostile and oppressive language (such as obliterate or crush) or sarcastically offering false solutions (I am almost 99% certain that ability to view infractions is moderator ability, and worst of all, reminding people of possible legal actions which is exactly what the rest of the community here has a problem with.

Top Bottom