FAQ: Civ4, Warlords and BtS on your Mac - in OS X or Windows

I have a question about installing Warlords. Everytime I attempt to do so, it says that Civ 4 is not in a valid location. Where should I put it so that it is in a valid location?

I have a question about installing Warlords. Everytime I attempt to do so, it says that Civ 4 is not in a valid location. Where should I put it so that it is in a valid location?

Run the application installer program. It automatically puts all files where they belong.:)

This is on our "Current Patches" thread:

Please note that all Aspyr patches update the Civilization IV application. If a patch claims it can't find your Civ4 to update, click the "Other" button and navigate to the Civilization IV application you want it to work on.
Maybe this applies to the Warlords installer as well.

Well I tried moving it to the applications folder, but it still said it was in an invalid location.

I dont exactly know what the application installer program is lol.

It keeps telling me now that Civ 4 was installed incorrectly, and I have to uninstall it and install it again.

Ive already done that, haha.

If you have bought the vanilla DVD, there isn't an installer program. You just drag the Civ4 folder from the DVD onto your hard disk, usually to the /Applications folder.

When you run the Warlords installer, please can you say *exactly* what you see, in what order?

If you have bought the vanilla DVD, there isn't an installer program. You just drag the Civ4 folder from the DVD onto your hard disk, usually to the /Applications folder.

When you run the Warlords installer, please can you say *exactly* what you see, in what order?

Ok, so I've done that first part for Civ 4.

When I double click the Warlords Installer, the following pop-up appears:

"Civilization 4 does not appear to be installed correctly. (Thats sort of the headline at the top)"

Then it says:

"The installation of Civilization IV (located at /Applications) is not valid. Install Civilization IV again to fix this problem."

Only thing is I did uninstall and reinstall, yet the same thing is popping up.

Have you run Civ4 vanilla since you installed it?

I guess I also have to ask: Are you sure you copied the entire Civ4 application FOLDER across from the DVD to /Applications, not just (a) the application file, or (b) a shortcut.

Hi, I understand that BTS on PC no longer requires a cd to be present in the drive, does anyone know if the same is true of the Mac version of BTS? I would buy it just for this! thanks

No, sorry, it's not the case - except for a couple of mods that are included with BtS for Mac. I believe you can play Rhye's and Fall and The Road to War without the DVD.

Platform: OSX
Game: BTS

When I load up mods with custom leaderheads, everything seems to be running smoothly, but then I try to look at one of them (the leaderheads), and the program quits on me. I've recently been trying to use History Rewritten, but this problem has occurred. Is this something I can fix?

Does the game run with no problems without any custom leaders?

Is Antialiasing samples set to zero in the Options->Graphics screen? If not, try that. Non-zero values are known to cause display problems, though I haven't heard of it resulting in crashes, so this may not be the problem.

Other than that, I suggest you go into the Console application and open the CrashReporter log for BtS. You should have some crash reports from these events. If you post them here you may get some suggestions as to the cause.

Does the game run with no problems without any custom leaders?

Is Antialiasing samples set to zero in the Options->Graphics screen? If not, try that. Non-zero values are known to cause display problems, though I haven't heard of it resulting in crashes, so this may not be the problem.

Other than that, I suggest you go into the Console application and open the CrashReporter log for BtS. You should have some crash reports from these events. If you post them here you may get some suggestions as to the cause.

Here's what I got from it.
8/27/10 10:01:26 PM com.apple.launchd[100] ([0x0-0x7c07c].com.aspyr.civ4bts[734]) Exited abnormally: Bus error

By the way, how can I use other custom leaderheads in my game? I know how to download them, but I don't know how to actually use them. Of course, I should probably work out this problem first.

Shall we assume the answers to the other questions were yes/no/maybe?

That isn't the CrashReporter log. You need to use the menu on the left of the Monitor screen and navigate to FILES -> ~/Library/Logs -> CrashReporter, then click on a file called:

Civilization IV Beyond the Sword_[date-time when it crashed with this problem]-[your computer name].crash

You need advice from a modder on how to customise your Civ4. It should all work the same as in Windows, and there are lots of tutorials in the Creation & Customization forum on how to do it.

Product: All

Platform: OS X plus Steam

Question: I have bought the product online through Steam. I want to install mods into the application folder for the game. Where is the application folder?

Answer: Your Civ4 and its expansions should be installed in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/

Long ago, Steam used to put the Steam folder in your ~/Documents folder, but they moved it because people didn't like all that data being backed up with their other documents.

Product: All

Platform: OS X

Question: How do I take screenshots on Mac OS X?

Answer:
  • Command-Shift-3 saves a .png image file of your entire screen on your desktop.
  • Command-Shift-4 gives you a cross-hair cursor that you can use to select a rectangular area to save instead of the full screen.
  • Use Control with the above combinations to put the image on the Clipboard instead of straight into a file.
    You can then use Preview's File->New with Clipboard to make an image document you can crop and edit and save in any format. Or you can paste it into another application window.
  • There is also a Grab utility in /Applications/Utilities/ that you can use to achieve these actions and more.
Mac OS has used the same key combinations for screenshots since 1984.

Here's a graphics issue I am having. All the Civs have the same yellow flag and no logo. Whether I am playing as the Ottomans (green flag) or Rome (purple), I still get the yellow flag with no logo.

Any fixes?

Top Bottom