Requested Mods

I like your suggestions, especially on random events, corporations, and religion. Espionage like in the older Civ versions would be better than what was in Civ4.

My dream is a Marathon game that is really marathon. What do I mean? I dunno exactly but at least fewer years per turn in the earlier years. Would also like to see the ridiculous time frames for building things cut down. Several hundred years to build a granary (for instance) is just way too long.

I don't know why people were so down on Civ4 Espionage. The beautiful thing about it was how you could determine your level of involvement, yet still get some tangible benefit from it. So in some games I'd almost totally ignore my EP's, but often still get enough points to access the Demographic Info of rival civs &-in some cases-even get to look inside some of their cities. In other games, I'd really push an Espionage Strategy-focusing on tearing down my nearest rivals with spy missions, whilst deploying spies in a way to prevent missions being performed against me too easy. This was made even more interesting with the fact that you were rewarded for *patience*. The longer you left a spy in a city, the better the chance of a successful mission!

Aussie.

AI in general, especially combat +1

I want the AI to be able to do the same things I do, and play me in combat in a non-idiotic way.

I'm sure more tricks will emerge, but things like using naval units correctly [or at all], taking advantage of flanking bonuses and protecting workers properly come to mind.

AI in general, especially combat +1

I want the AI to be able to do the same things I do, and play me in combat in a non-idiotic way.

I'm sure more tricks will emerge, but things like using naval units correctly [or at all], taking advantage of flanking bonuses and protecting workers properly come to mind.

Constructing a clever Ai is not possible with the level of computers we have today.
Just look at the ancient game "GO" and how difficult it is to build AI around. I know that Deeb Blue was able to beat Kasparov in chess. But in chess there arent that many possibilities to choose from and the as game progresses the choises will be more obvius (just like most other games).
But in "GO" they havent even build a machine that can beat proffesionels, and thats because there are almost and infinite of choices. And i have yet to see a computer that can match the complexity and ingenuity of the human brain.

I wont argue that the ai could need a upgrade, but even in civ 4 on deity the com wasent smarter, just richer and more productive.

What i like about civ is the same i like about "GO" its the endless choices, the wast possibilites, and the depth of the game.

If i want real challenges i play online. Since humans seem to be better at grasping the almost infinite than computeres are.

By the way i am willing to help with mods if any need some. I cant code, but i am good at game-testing (checking for balance), and have lots of good ideas. Just ask

I loved the Espionage in civ 4 too. Loved how you could decide how much you wanted to use it, if it should be active or inactive, use the points or just stack the points. I even build a Espionage strat, but it wasent as good as the produce the stack of doom and go nuts strat. Stealing techs just isent as good as developing them selves, cause you can never be ahead in techs. But i liked building horse soldiers then have spies planted in the citys i wanted and when my horses reached the gates the city would go in anarchy and no city bonus, hence no need for those cats, just a big pile of horses, you could conqour wast portions of land this way and very fast.

The espionage strat wasent as effective but often more fun than the regular ones.

The higher difficulties seem to be make the AI better at combat, so if somebody could reduce the amount of cheating (free units etc.) we could use the high difficulties to play on normal (as they still way too dumb). should be relatively easy I think

There's one mod I'd almost need to buy the game, based on the demo:

Better 2D graphics for units on the strategic view.

Reason: If you play with only the strategic view, or use it most of the time and the 3D view only when you can't do something (like getting a unit out of a city), then the game is not really usable because the unit icons are too small to be useful, not in the center of the hex where they belong, and too iconic to be beautiful.
(Reason to use the strategic view: It doesn't overheat my cpu.)

There's one mod I'd almost need to buy the game, based on the demo:

Better 2D graphics for units on the strategic view.

Reason: If you play with only the strategic view, or use it most of the time and the 3D view only when you can't do something (like getting a unit out of a city), then the game is not really usable because the unit icons are too small to be useful, not in the center of the hex where they belong, and too iconic to be beautiful.
(Reason to use the strategic view: It doesn't overheat my cpu.)

What? How are the unit icons too small? Keep in mind, I use almost exclusively Strategic View. :p

The icons are off center because there are also icons for resources and improvements.

I think the units are too small because 99% of the time I'm only interested in seeing units.
Their being off-center is because there's stuff below, I know, but said stuff isn't as important and shouldn't take as much space in my opinion.
(I have a generic gripe against this UI feature that requires you to look for stuff on the border of a hex instead of inside the hex. It's unintuitive. The first time I clicked to grab a new tile for my city, I selected the tile below the one I wanted because I clicked on the hex, I didn't expect the symbol I had to click to be outside the hex.)
I want units in the middle of the hex.
I also think an axe inside a circle for instance isn't telltale and that civ1 graphics were better.

Constructing a clever Ai is not possible with the level of computers we have today.

I agree with what you're saying, but when open source Battle for Wesnoth can do hex combat a lot better, and when the AI simply isn't programmed to make use of certain game features, then there's always room for improvement.

Even if it makes use of scripted build orders and scripted set reactions and battle plans it'd make it a lot more of a challenge than rolling over AIs with 4 horsemen or 3 swords and a catapult.

civ 5 is really lacking individuality, in the civs i mean. The civ's units look the same, and for the most part they play the same. if new units were created for each civ, then the game would feel much more diverse and real. so i dont think new civs should be created yet, the existing ones need an awful lot of work.

All I want is Dale's Europe map with the right civilizations in place including independents. Right now I wouldn't even mind seeing the Japanese in place of the Spanish in Spain, just to get things started. At least until someone mods a Spanish civ.

I'm sure plenty of folks are working on mods like this but I'm eagerly awaiting the emergence of some big 'mega-modpacks' that seek to add lots of rebalancing, new features, new content, etc., like Rise of Mankind for cIV.

I would LOOOOOVE a Rhye's-type historical mod. RFC was pretty much all I played on cIV once I got bored with FFH2 and aside from the occasional RoM game for a chance of pace. I'm pretty sure I remember reading a post from Rhye saying he's got no immediate plans for a ciV mod; if that's the case, I sure hope someone else steps up to the plate!

I'd also love to see a mod that includes cyber-warfare for the modern age. Not sure how it would be implemented but it would be cool to do industrial sabotage, maybe akin to spies.

Mountains, all i say is MOUNTAINS.

What the hell is wrong with firaxis prohibiting the use of mountains since civ iv?

Since the ages humans have used and crossed mountains at the leasure(well most didn't do it for a liking, but they still did). Entire civilizations where centered beeing highland culture, like the mayas, who even build an quite large city in approx 4000 meters of height into the Andens Mountain Range. Yet still, Firaxis dinies this fact(funny enough though the Mayas were a civilization in Civ IV). Anyone ever played on Earth(huge) and got placed in SouthAm? without ship you cannot get off this :):):):)ing continent, cause you are seperated from MidAm by a :):):):)ing mountainstile.

Well there are quite a few other things i do not really like, well better to say, there are quite a few things i like but all the others not. Where is the complexety of the game gone? the techtree is slim enough to border to anexiocy, the ai is plain stupid, city states which are quite a nice idea generelly, are far to powerful in thier bonuses, or far to weak(military ones in comparison to the others), no relegions, diplomacy is rather ... itchy and so on. Combat, yeah thats quite a shining, nicely done, though its quite strange you can fire arrows and bolts over distances of several kilometers/miles, while guns and tankcannons only work at meleeranges

For the love of God, show the diplomatic modifiers, assuming they actually exist under the hood...

I think 1UPT would be great for FFH. I'd rather Kael and the team were able to make a standalone game, but I'd settle for another Civ mod.

I'd like to see Rhys updated for Civ V as well, although 1UPT may not work. I loved tackling the Unique Historical Victory conditions.

I would also like to see historical scenarios (e.g. WW2) that show off the Civ V combat system.

I would like to see more strategic resources (copper, natural gas, sulphur, rare earth metals, etc.) as well as more buildings and units that require strategic resources. I like the decision between using a resource for a building or a military unit (e.g. uranium) and think that should be more common.

I would like to see advanced units that require multiple resources (e.g. oil and aluminum for modern armor) or can be build with different resources (e.g. oil OR uranium for submarines), although the latter may be difficult to implement. Also, I would prefer for old strategic resources to NOT be irrelevant once you leave an era.

I would like to see more passive benefits given by technology (e.g. +1 hammer to lumbermills).

I would like to see religions implemented, possibly as exclusive social policy trees.

Edit: Bring back diplomacy modifiers! Without them you have essentially no sense of who likes you.

If not already mentioned, a classic era mod would be nice.

Would love to play out a game of Civilization without the game ever advancing on to the Medieval era. Cut off all the techs that lead out of the Classical era and then expand it to encompass that which made up the Classical period and expand the unit list to add individual flavor for each of the civilizations that would inhabit the mod.

Something similar to the Alexander mod we saw in Civ4, except grander.

civics mod

I'd love to make it myself, but I'm confused about where to begin, no programming experience. I'm trying to rectify this now, but any experienced guidance would be appreciated.

Top Bottom