SGOTM 13 - TNT thread

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

BtS SGOTM 13 - Napoleon's Revenge

Welcome to your BtS SGOTM 13 Team Thread. Please use it for all internal team communication, turn logs and discussions. Subscribe to it to receive notifications, and do not visit the other team threads for this game until you have finished. Please also subscribe to the Maintenance Thread for this game, where teams and staff may post non-spoiler information of general interest.

In a break with tradition, I am not going to copy the Game Details into this post. You can find them in the first post of the Maintenance Thread. If any changes occur in the game settings or rules, I shall post them in that thread, and edit that post.

Please wait until your team leader/administrator/scribe has reserved a couple of top posts in this thread for game admin information. Then post here to let your team know you have arrived.

Good luck, and remember rule #1 - ENJOY THE GAME!

Greetings everyone!

I hope im 1st!

I would like to hear the expriance all of you guys have in playing Civ, and maybie how you imagine our team working.

Welcome!

Hey!

Hi to the first ninja! We are now 2. Legions will follow!

:)

My short resume:

I play Civ1, Civ2, Civ3 and Civ4 from almost 15 years. In single player Civ4 my achievements so far are confidently beating Emperor level in any setup and beating Immortal on 50:50 basis. Even defeated Deity 1 or 2 times :) Usually finishing in the 10-20 position in GOTMs until now.

Also, I have quite experience in Civ4 multiplayer.

I hope there are some players with good skills at micromanaging and Ai diplomacy in our team, as I lack those. I'm best at planning, waging and winning wars.

I also hope that we will have at least some experienced in SGOTM member, as we are full of enthusiasm for now, but in the long run, we will need someone familiar with the mechanics of this type of competition,

Go Ninjas!

May I recommend, just as a start:

(a) you decide on a name. I don't want to have a real team called 'Unallocated' when we start the next game :eek:

[EDIT] I need your team name by Tuesday at the latest, as I need to be able to brand your start file with this information before you begin. It will then follow your submissions as the game proceeds.

(b) you decide who is going to "lead". The player in this position may only be to post the roster - what sequence is each player going to take - but should probably have a casting vote in the case that there is deadlock among the team members on how to proceed with the game.

PLEASE make sure that all team members have read the SGOTM Reference Thread. It really does provide useful guidance, as well as rules of engagement.

OK, I guess it will take most if not all the members to show up and sign up, but it does not hurt anyone to put his proposal here.

I am proposing the name of our team to be

The ninjas :goodjob:

About team leader, I think we must choose someone with organization skills, constant internet connection, will to lead the team as a real leader and committing himself and certain amount of his online time to the team.

Any ideas or candidatures?

Three of your team have chosen not to receive PMs, so I have posted a request in the sing-up thread for them to join this thread. The rest of the team members should all have my PM.

well im definitly not a good team leader... my interent is very If-i cos i just moved and im still using the Wlan of the neigbours...

as far as the name goes, im ok with "the ninjas" ...

anyone ever played island start epic emperor game with Napoleon?

I did one today, on archipelago and managed a communism slingshot with liberalism, but it seems to be too late... (i mean this current map will "feel" like archipelago for us, but im guessing everyone else has a solid start.)

i also set up a test game where i tried 3 different aproaches:

1. Settle in place, worker first
2. Settle on the corns, workboat first
3. Settle on corns worker first

ill post some screenshots later

Hey folks,

Checking in. I'm a peaceful builder with a penchant for micromanagement and cultural victories. I can usually win on Emperor, sometimes win on Immortal, and lose spectacularly on Deity. I played in SGOTM 11.

I'm good at getting Liberalism around 200AD, and early-game analysis. I'm terrible at anything that involves moving troops around, and I don't know a whole lot about efficient use of late-game civics/improvements/etc. Right now I'm playing through the current Shaka BOTM to remember how to war in preparation for this game :).

I am generally quite occupied with real life, and will unfortunately probably not spend more than an hour every 2-3 days contributing to discussion. However, I promise to think things through and listen to people :).

Hey guys!

I'll be the resident n00b on the team :D

Haven't played any succession games before this one. Played Civ 1-4. Confident up to Prince level, but working on Monarch and I think I'm getting better as I learn more. I want to participate here, but want to learn from you pro's more than anything.

--edit--

I've never done deep spreadsheet-style analysis, but I'm pretty handy in Excel, and I'm more than willing to help the team out with crunching numbers and stuff.

Hello again everyone! It seems I'm a little rusty at forum replies. :blush:

Anyway, once everyone has signed in, we should choose a Captain and a team name. Or if everyone agrees - The Ninjas. Any other ideas?

I have been an SGOTM lurker over the last few games and it seems that the successful teams play to a PPP (Pre-Play-Plan). The on board player designs a PPP and the others discuss it, make changes and when all is agreed, the player executes the 10 or so turns using the PPP as a guide. Also, stopping to ask the team for help when something comes up is a better plan than making a key decision without collaboration.

With a new team, we have an opportunity to develop our own style and procedures. It should be fun.

Good luck to everyone. :goodjob:
-Keath

soooo here is a very basic test game i set up, only apliable for the early stages..

and a few screenshots of my tries, all played until 2400 bc

looking forward to some input

Attachments

• Sgom.CivBeyondSwordSave
    30.9 KB · Views: 97
  • worker after 3.jpg
    worker after 3.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 107
  • worker first.jpg
    worker first.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 97
  • settle in place.jpg
    settle in place.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 87
fizbankovi, thanks for the test game. :) I’ll look forward to checking it out.

What if we start with organizing our team? Most of us are new at this so let’s try to build a good foundation for discussion and decision making that will stand us well for the long road ahead.

If you haven’t lurked an SGOTM or read any of the team posts, it might be worthwhile to check out this thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=180492)

It is highly recommended and will give you a good idea about how the game proceeds. You can also check out all the SGOTM games at:

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/submit/civ4sgotm_submission_list.php

and you can read the posts of any of the teams and even download the Worldbuilder file and play any of the games yourself. It will give you an idea about how crafty the game designers can be. :cool:

Here are a few questions which should get us started with some decisions. We should all know what skills we have that will benefit the team, for example -- trucha - Excel for number crunching, fitbakovi - Test game, nice graphics. If you have a particular skill, let everyone know.

1. What time zone are you in? -- for planning roster.
2. Team Name - some creative ideas?
3. Captain - if you would like to be the team leader or not.
4. Any known issues with playing times? -- not weekends, holidays, etc.
5. Why do you like to play Civ and/or what do you expect from this SGOTM?
6. Are you a builder, war monger or…….
7. Special skill?
8. Preferred short nickname?

Once we get everyone on board, we can start analyzing this situation. Great fun ahead! :dance:

1. Central Time (US)
2. ----
3. Don't pick me
4. No issues with time, I'm a law student so I don't have a ton of time as it is, but I'll make time and I want to be able to contribute
5. I love the strategizing of Civ. Have a macro, empire-wide strat, but also be able to have micro-strats for each battle/city/stack of units
6. Builder more than anything.
7. I can use excel pretty well.
8. trucha works just fine

Can't wait to start workin with you guys!

1. Pacific Standard Time - west coast Canada
2. TNT - The Ninja Team -
3. I would like to take it on but it is a first for me
4. I usually have internet capability and should be available most of the time
5. I hope to learn a lot from all of you
6. A learning warmonger but happier builder, I want to learn more about planning a win
7. I like to brainstorm and problem solve
8. keath

1. US Pacific Time (San Francisco)
2. don't really care.
3. nope, no time for captaincy, sorry.
4. Sometimes busy for 2-3 days at a time, but I'll be sure to let you guys know if it's around when my turn is coming up. If I'm MIA, feel free to send me a note by im or email (see profile for contact info).
5. I hope to learn a lot more about balancing a war economy in this game. Oh, and have fun :).
6. I believe I have never tried to play a conquest game. So, builder :p. But I'm perfectly ok at waging a war or two.
7. I'm pretty good at running an economy through renaissance or so.
8. dima or dima42 both work fine.

1. What time zone are you in? -- GMT +2 - East Europe
2. Team Name - TNT - The Ninja Team - is great
3. Captain - I can be if needed, but I feel Keath will be the best for this position
4. Any known issues with playing times? -- In the days - I'm at work
5. Why do you like to play Civ and/or what do you expect from this SGOTM? - First of all, I like Civ as a whole, second, I like competitions, third - I like teams and brainstorming and last, but not least - I expect to learn a lot about the advanced tech paths and gambits
6. Are you a builder, war monger or……. until very recently - the last BOTM - I had never won a civ4 game by other means than war. Even this last Diplo-win came by a surprise and mistake, so - pure warmonger -
7. Special skill? I dont know if this is about skills in-game or outside, but if the latter, then I am pretty good with the Photoshop, Illustrator and my digital photo-camera
8. Preferred short nickname? - 2metra is OK

8. dima or dima42 both work fine.
Hey, Dima! Good to meet you. I'm Dima myself :) Well, Dimo in fact, but you the Russians spell it anyway Dima :)

1. What time zone are you in? Eastern Timezone, Southern Ontario, Canada
2. Team Name? Blue Sun Corporation
3. Captain - NO
4. Any known issues with playing times? Usually Wide Open
5. Why do you like to play Civ and/or what do you expect from this SGOTM? I'd like to learn how to play this game better, especially warring.
6. Are you a builder, war monger or? A builder, I've never really gotten a feel for how to war properly in Civ4. My attacks usually fail after a small period of success.
7. Special skill? None really unless you count wanting to try and build every building in every city a skill.
8. Preferred short nickname? Wind is fine, but doesn't really matter to me.

1. GMT + 1 Central Europe
2. OK with anything for now, maybie if this works out fine, next time we think fo something.
3. I would like Keath to be.
4. Have some issues with internet untill 9 of March. As i said i just moved. And I work 10 hour days...
5. I look forward to playing a game, with a lot of effort put into it. Learning is the most important.
6. Mostly a builder. I love to find ways to shorten the build time of something by a few turns...
7. Excel ;)
8. Fiz/Fizban/Kovi

I have the feeling we are stranded on this tiny island. So no new settlers untill sailing...
Also at least our first war has to be carried out amphibiusly. That means we cannot attack without siege. it will be too late in the game for a pure axe, sword or chariot rush...

Looking at our starting position Farms are not an option. We have no fresh water. No riverside cottages are also weaker then coastal lighthouse tiles for a long time.

Seafood + mines are a good combination, together with Slavery u can get stuff done pretty fast.

Seafood, mines and workshops in caste system is a higher population variant, which provides a higher base hammer output. But i find that lacking the Whip is a realy big issue, in new not so well improved cities.

Of course all this makes little sense just yet. The first thing we have to find out is how much land we can settle before we have to go to war.

Top Bottom