Eurogamer reviews Civ Rev

Snerk

Smeghead
The review strenghtens my fears, that it will be more of a Warcraft/Starcraft - like game. Lots of sessions the ending will be decided in the first 10-15 rounds, and every single wrong step might be severe when playing against a good enemy.

There seems to be no more - After 70 rounds i've finally met my first opponent :)

The review did seem to confirm my fears that the game feels too small and constrained. I did want a streamlined Civ, but not necessarily a smaller one.

Guess I'll wait before buying, to see if another review says otherwise, or if they mention they're going to have mods/expansions for the game as DLC...

from what I've read, the Eurogamer reviewer went into the review not wanting to like the game...so I'm happy with an 8/10 from him and will look forward to even higher reviews from less biased reviewers.

Gameplanet has given it a 9/10 and was generally very positive in its review.

BTW, I just posted an announcement on the main site about these reviews. Let me know if you see any more! :)

Honestly, you learn more about the good and bad features of a game from the negative reviews than the positive ones. I thought this review was pretty good, if only because it was very clearly one person's feelings and not an amalgamation of marketing hype. (With the sad state of gaming "journalism" today, most reviews are little more than advertisements that repeat whatever the publisher wants them to say.)

Yeah, it was harsh in a lot of areas. But wouldn't you rather hear something like this before buying:

That's why it's so fast, that's why there's so much emphasis on combat, that's why trade and diplomacy are all but absent. This isn't 'dumbed-down', as is the knee-jerk protestation of elitists, but there's no escaping that it's been made for a completely different audience to the usual Civ crowd. My concern is that its audience doesn't in fact exist, that it's an unnatural middle-ground between veteran Civ players and folk who run screaming from the very concept.

As I suspected in the last preview, the game's too small. It's not 'too small compared to Civ IV'; it's just too small. While becoming really good at the game will take some time, the array of possible options and outcomes are almost all revealed after just two or three 1-3 hour sessions. You'll have researched every technology, built every unit, achieved every type of victory and conceived of every strategy.

Or would you rather hear endless praise from Gamespot, simply because they got a big check from Take-Two?

Top Bottom