Intra-Team Pitboss Planning Thread #2

TT on please, otherwise it will be impossible to catch up with these Diety:lol: players around here. Or to make everyone happy maybe we can just go no tech brokering?

I say we go restricted leaders and instead of being truly "random", everyone gets randomly assigned (drawn out of a virtual hat or something) one of the leaders which has been recommended for us to say. That way, we still get the random element but avoid conclusions like "From my game I learned that Toku sucks at MP"

So how about we go random, but let anyone who is unhappy with their choice get a (single) reroll among the leaders who are still unassigned?

So how about we go random, but let anyone who is unhappy with their choice get a (single) reroll among the leaders who are still unassigned?

Ah...trouble with that is that it causes delays and whatnot...I so move that if you don't like your leader...tough. :p

I think I've mentioned this before... Instead of playing on a HUGE map, isn't it better to split into two seperate maps, so we can fit nicely into STANDARD settings? I do not think the OFFICIAL game is going to be on such a large map, nor with it be crowded with such a rediculous number of crowded teams.

The official game won't be on a large map because there will only be 6 teams, but there's no reason why this game couldn't have a huge map. :)

To the team:

-There was a 5-5 dead-even vote for tech trading on/off. So who wants to break the tie? (No one did when I asked :lol: .) Once again, to anyone who wants to break the tie, I strongly recommend tech trading off since with the option on that really hurts mid-game warfare because of how tech speed is so fast.

-OR how about this ... perhaps we could split into 2 different continents? Normally what happens in those games is that the winner is the first to conquer his continent, but with 7/8 players on continents that may be tough to do. This could also slow down the tech pace considerably.

-I like restricted random. If someone wants a reroll, they can request that, but only once, and they can't get a leader that someone else already has. I guess I'll use an online randomizer.

-Depending on what map script we'll use (continents? big and small?) I'll create it then send the save to Niklas so he can give it to this someone who will check the map and hopefully adjust the start of those living near the poles.

Once again, to anyone who wants to break the tie, I strongly recommend tech trading off since with the option on that really hurts mid-game warfare because of how tech speed is so fast.
And once again, I strongly recommend tech trading on since with the option off it really hurts the diplomatic aspect overall. Can't have you stand unopposed. ;)

Why not just use no tech brokering so everyone can be happy?

No tech brokering is the worst option in my opinion. That makes for the formation of huge tech-blocs.

I agree with DMOC on NO TECH TRADING.

We could also make this an Always War game... ;)

And once again, I strongly recommend tech trading on since with the option off it really hurts the diplomatic aspect overall. Can't have you stand unopposed. ;)

Without TT on, you can still negotiate resource deals, non-aggression pacts, mutual military plans, city/land grabbing, gifting gold to allies to help them catch up in tech, etc.

6-5 no TT.

In the interest of getting things moving here, I would just like to say that if we do play with tech trading on, I'll still be more than happy to play. ;) So don't be afraid to request your opinion.

I went ahead and tested out this Full_of_Resources map script, with huge maps and normal sea level and 14 civilizations. I dialed back tundra/ice/plains, made the land relatively nice, and generate a big-and-small-like map. The maps I have generated (see below) are cylindrical, though we can do toroidal if you want.

I think this map will be easy for an outsider to balance, if it has to be at all.

What do you think?

Map #1 (I forced the location of copper and horses by everyone's start)

Spoiler :

Map #2 (This is with the no-tiny-islands setting). No screenshot available, I forgot it.

Map #3 (Everyone starts inland, though the script made me start coastal??)

Spoiler :

Overall, judging from the settings above, I think an interesting map would be where we have one "massive" continent with many scattered islands, like the first map here (but not with that many tiny islands! :crazyeye:) OR a map like the third one, but with more balance.

I did like how little tundra/ice there was. :) One fix that really needs to be made, though, is for civs who start on their own peninsula or isolated in island chains, but I'm sure that can be worked out by the map "checker."

Some possible Full-of-Resources settings:

1. Force the appearance of copper, horse, and iron in everyone's "player zone" (not necessarily the starting capital itself).
2. Increase or decrease the amount of mountains (mountain chains anyone?). I left it at defaults.
3. Increase plains/desert/tundra/ice - no thanks.
4. Island chains/islands - yes, but not too much.

Saves:

Attachments

• Full of Resources Map Script Test 1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    95.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Full of Resources Map Script Test 2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    95.2 KB · Views: 27
  • AutoSave_BC-3960.CivBeyondSwordSave
    107.9 KB · Views: 58
Top one is way too crowded imho...less islands, more continent (though a few islands would still be good).

Well the trouble with it being at that level of space the creative people will have a pretty decent advantage to begin with...at least, that's what I forsee (remember the only PB game I've ever played is at turn 11...)

The main beef that I have with the full-of resources map script is that (if I am correct) its full of resources! This will probably make it less like the real game in due to all the resources changing the nature of cities and devaluing the use of anything other than resource improvements as well as changing the usuefulness of some civics (no need for those which increase :) or :health: ). As for the copper, horse, iron issue. If there's no rushes in our games anyway then I don't really mind not starting with all or any of them. The game does need some balance, but giving everyone everything probably isn't necessary.

As for the shape of the maps, I don't really mind as long as they're interesting which they all are so i'm impartial but would prefer not too many small islands.

The Full of Resources map script does put in more resources with proportion to the amount "normal" games get, but I think that it's okay, because having a little more resources than normal is a lot better than having fewer resources, which limits a player's style and forces him to settle cities where there's food. It's better to have 2 good city options with food and let the player decide than have only 1 good city with food.

Top Bottom