Allow policy savings?

Olso can somebody tell me what happens when you don't pick a pollicy the turn it ask?( and you choose to save it)

My screen still says 0 turns before next policy?

If I choose to save the policy will my culture per turn go to the next policy and will I get a notification if I can choose a other one
I've had this happen a few times where I completely forgot I had saved a policy. You basically continue to accumulate social policy points when you choose to save a policy. When you finally pick a policy, the amount it costs to purchase it is deducted from the pool and you keep what's remaining. You do not get a notification if you build up enough points to purchase a second one with what you have since it has already told you once that you can take one. :) (You might also increase your number of cities after the notice which could cause you to suddenly have too few points for that second policy.) The screen always says 0 turns to the next policy because you already have enough points for one - there is no "next" one until you've selected something.

For example, (and I'm completely making up numbers here): Let's say policies cost 100 points * (the number you currently have + 1), so the first costs 100, second costs 200, etc. I finally earn my first policy but choose to save it. Each turn I continue to accumulate policy points. I finally remember, several turns later, that I had a saved policy and now have 310 points. Purchasing the first policy costs me 100 points so I have 210 left over. Since the second policy is 200 points and I have enough, I can purchase the second policy right away, leaving me with 10 points left in the pool that will continue to accumulate each turn.

i once figured out that if you complete 3 or 4 trees the world notices it and might denounce you or even DoW. the same was for warmongering too much or being way ahead in techs. so i tried a game where i had save policies allowed and surprised the world with completing the last 3 trees in one turn and started the Utopia project. of course this was on warlord or prince when i was still figuring out the game. it was fun, but probably still not very strategic for harder difficulties.

I've had this happen a few times where I completely forgot I had saved a policy. You basically continue to accumulate social policy points when you choose to save a policy. When you finally pick a policy, the amount it costs to purchase it is deducted from the pool and you keep what's remaining. You do not get a notification if you build up enough points to purchase a second one with what you have since it has already told you once that you can take one. :) (You might also increase your number of cities after the notice which could cause you to suddenly have too few points for that second policy.) The screen always says 0 turns to the next policy because you already have enough points for one - there is no "next" one until you've selected something.

For example, (and I'm completely making up numbers here): Let's say policies cost 100 points * (the number you currently have + 1), so the first costs 100, second costs 200, etc. I finally earn my first policy but choose to save it. Each turn I continue to accumulate policy points. I finally remember, several turns later, that I had a saved policy and now have 310 points. Purchasing the first policy costs me 100 points so I have 210 left over. Since the second policy is 200 points and I have enough, I can purchase the second policy right away, leaving me with 10 points left in the pool that will continue to accumulate each turn.

Thanxs for explaining how it works I appreciate it.

ONe more question do you thinx it makes a difference if you pick it dirrectly ?
Will you get more social policies if you pick it direrctly in other words do you miss some points if you save it or is it equal?

i once figured out that if you complete 3 or 4 trees the world notices it and might denounce you or even DoW. the same was for warmongering too much or being way ahead in techs. so i tried a game where i had save policies allowed and surprised the world with completing the last 3 trees in one turn and started the Utopia project. of course this was on warlord or prince when i was still figuring out the game. it was fun, but probably still not very strategic for harder difficulties.

Ha I never had that Usally I Denounce the warmongers and be friends with all the good guys a lot of Decleration of friendships dogpiles can scare even montezuma to not atack you.

Thanxs for explaining how it works I appreciate it.

ONe more question do you thinx it makes a difference if you pick it dirrectly ?
Will you get more social policies if you pick it direrctly in other words do you miss some points if you save it or is it equal?

I believe the number of cities and policies you currently have are the only things that determine their cost. When you gain control of a new city, the cost for social policies goes up by some amount. There can be situations where you'll have enough policy points for 2 policies with the number of cities you currently have. If you found another city, the number of points needed to gain a policy goes up as well, so there may be occasions where you'll cheat yourself out of one. Let's say I have 2 cities, policy 1 would cost 100 points and policy 2 would cost 200 points. I have 310 points at the moment - enough for 2 policies. If I found a third city on this turn, the cost for each policy goes up by let's say 10% (again, just making up numbers - I don't remember what the actual amount is :)). The first policy would now cost 110 points while the second would cost 220 points - meaning that I no longer have enough to grab 2 policies.

This means there may also be occasions where you screw yourself out of the one policy you have saved by gaining another city, though you'd need to be right in the middle of that spot between the cost of 1 policy for X cities and 1 policy for X+1 cities. Not a big deal since getting enough points again is probably a few turns away, but it can be surprising if you weren't expecting it. :)

I believe the number of cities and policies you currently have are the only things that determine their cost. When you gain control of a new city, the cost for social policies goes up by some amount. There can be situations where you'll have enough policy points for 2 policies with the number of cities you currently have. If you found another city, the number of points needed to gain a policy goes up as well, so there may be occasions where you'll cheat yourself out of one. Let's say I have 2 cities, policy 1 would cost 100 points and policy 2 would cost 200 points. I have 310 points at the moment - enough for 2 policies. If I found a third city on this turn, the cost for each policy goes up by let's say 10% (again, just making up numbers - I don't remember what the actual amount is :)). The first policy would now cost 110 points while the second would cost 220 points - meaning that I no longer have enough to grab 2 policies.

This means there may also be occasions where you screw yourself out of the one policy you have saved by gaining another city, though you'd need to be right in the middle of that spot between the cost of 1 policy for X cities and 1 policy for X+1 cities. Not a big deal since getting enough points again is probably a few turns away, but it can be surprising if you weren't expecting it. :)

I believe the number of cities and policies you currently have are the only things that determine their cost.

With with number of policy you have you mean the one's you pick and the one's you save or only the one's you picK?

I believe the number of cities and policies you currently have are the only things that determine their cost.

With with number of policy you have you mean the one's you pick and the one's you save or only the one's you picK?
The ones you pick. It can only deal with what's currently know since there are also policies you can select that reduce the cost future policies. So there could also be instances where you don't have quite enough points for a second policy but taking something like Piety which reduces the cost of all future policies by 10% suddenly reduces the cost for the next one and makes it purchasable with what's left over.

The AI cannot save policies for later turns, so neither should the player be able to. Anything that gives the human player an unfair advantage over the AI should be banned.

That's kind of a funny opinion, since I don't remember the last time I had 200 happiness or 800gpt. :)

Policy saving is game breaking, imo. I'm not convinced that completing Liberty is actually worth it compared to saving to go deep into Rationalism for a lot of VCs. Either way, a player should not have to think about such things.

Promotions are different. Your unit can get a promotion when it's at 10hp, or 1hp. There is a huge element of luck inherent in whether your unit needs the instant heal right away, and it removes a lot of strategy to force the player to take the hard promotion when they'd prefer a heal in the midst of combat. Luck should not be a big part of Civ.

Top Bottom