Caveman 2 Cosmos

Got one of those "Waiting for other civilizations" freezes and can't get past this single turn, which was a problem I had in the original ROM2 too. Attached is the save. Any idea how to fix it and/or avoid future problems if it's a reoccurring thing short of having a computer with better specs? Here are my specs, just as reference:

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Gaming graphics: 2815 MB Total available graphics memory

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• C2C.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
@geh4th

Wow! I did not realize that city vicinity wonders would do that when they lost their access to the required resource. Thanks for reporting this. I am not sure if it should be fixed or not since its such an interesting unintended feature.

Well, if you don't fix it, there will be unintended consequences for human players vs. AI civilizations. Human players will only need to identify whomever owns an Embassy and send a thief/rogue/anything to go pillage the path/road leading to the required resource. Once that's done, end of Embassy.

AI civilizations PROBABLY won't have the brains to do this unless deliberately programmed to do so (perhaps they already are - one did it to me, after all.) That being said, the Human player defense is then to stack units on the resource and intervening path in an effort to prevent pillaging. This is something the AI is unlikely to do in it's own defense.

I recommend fixing the problem of disappearing Embassies rather than leaving it as it is.

Is it possible to change "city vicinity" requirement into:
within "city radius/borders" instead ?

It's possible but I don't see why you'd want to do that. If you did you'd not be able to "share" a resource with a neighboring city. A Deer between two cities would only allow construction of Deer Hunter's Camp in one city, not both.

Is this mod finished? It looks awesome but it still appears to be under construction.

So its a playable mod, that you are still expanding on?

So its a playable mod, that you are still expanding on?

Definitely, we are mainly just re-balancing stuff, AI improvements, but not adding anything special at the moment. Units are in-place and it is a very playable mod. I think its one of the BEST "fun" mods out there. And way different when you play now, so the old way of playing is out. You have to have your mind set for lots of new stuff, and i mean LOTS.

OK cool! I will definately try it out asap!

Highly recommended mod BigTin! Been playing since version 8. It's a long haul to play since it covers such a long time period but well worth the time! :goodjob:

Great mod, I'm enjoying v14 even more than 13, love the addition of the cultural embassies.

One thing I have noticed though is that when a barbarian city becomes a minor civ (I play with that option turned on), they spawn a whole load of unique units which should only be available if they have the embassy - for example I had a unit next to a barbarian city waiting for reinforcements (it was too close to my borders and had to go!) it became the Indian minor civ at the end of one turn and spawned several skirmishers and bear riders - they did not have the prerequisite embassies or wonders for these units. I also noticed another minor civ with jaguar units and another with fast workers when they did not have the embassies to provide those.

Another thing I noticed is that minor civs that emerge from barbarian cities do a lot better than the AI civs that start the game - I started with 1 AI opponent (to allow for plenty of hunting!) and by 0AD there were several civs that had arisen from barbarian cities to minor civs to fully fledged civilisations - they were all developing monarchy and similar level techs while the AI civ that started the game with me was researching sedentary lifestyle (and I was way ahead of all of them!) - possibly a balance issue that needs to be looked into at some point.

Fantastic mod though, this is the best fun I've had with CIV in ages :)

I've been wondering if you guys would want an introduction video to your mod. If so, I know the perfect video for it! Watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQLvXjSUk-8
I have this game,and so the video, and I think I can deal with the outro. Just tell me if you want it.

Edit: Video is nearly finished, converting to .bik format now. It is set at the minimum resolution for the mod (1024 x 768). Even if you don't want it, I'm certainly using it.

I've been wondering if you guys would want an introduction video to your mod. If so, I know the perfect video for it! Watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQLvXjSUk-8
I have this game,and so the video, and I think I can deal with the outro. Just tell me if you want it.

Edit: Video is nearly finished, converting to .bik format now. It is set at the minimum resolution for the mod (1024 x 768). Even if you don't want it, I'm certainly using it.

The video looks cool. Too bad at the end it cannot say "Caveman 2 Cosmos" instead of "Rise of Nations".

Another good into is from Empire Earth.

Empire Earth Intro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mEkVBOKx6Y

This Mod reminds me of my mega mod in Civ3. All the different characters and buildings and resources and modulations in the game. It was a private mod I played on LAN with buddies because back then was way to big to host. I have not modded since but I still know how much hard work it is. I see you guys implemented a lot of available graphics here and kudos to everything.

So I been playing this with my wife and I noticed with her older vid card all she had to do was update the drivers and the black terrain was no longer a problem.

The Neanderthals are just insane on epic LOL. wow reminds me of the old civ days when I put it on Raging ( I always playing on that mode) and hordes would come at you.
In order for me to get it to work in multiplayer I had to delete my custom assets folder in the C:\Users\Name\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets. I also had to do this for the ROM mods as well or got xml errors in the leader heads.

My wife and I haven't got overly far since we keep getting raped by barbarians. I had one CTD (me thinks barbarian related) and have been using the earth,huge, 28 placed CIV map. I tried to delete those funny looking islands because they only face one way and to me I don't like them. But every time I delete them they come back. So is there a way to turn whatever those are off?

One thing I miss from the old civ days is the caravans (camels and trucks) that you had to connect yourself for a trade route. Is there any way to put those in if they are not in already?

Oh yeah one more thing can you have a option to turn on and off to make the buildings to be civ specific because it reduces clutter with so much stuff already. I know you did it on purpose so just wondering if there is a way to have that options so both parties could be happy?

I stopped modding because I don't know xml in civ 4 and civ 3 was more simpler to understand how to mod things lol. Now i let you guys do all the work :)

PS if you guys know a way of bringing back the throne room that would be super awesome as well lol

And is there a way to get the wonder vids to work in multiplayer?

PS if you guys know a way of bringing back the throne room that would be super awesome as well lol

There are Palace related buildings that you can build including the throne room (civ2 throne room graphic). It also includes ...

- Ballroom
- Guardhouse
- Palace Garden
- Palace Walls
- Servant's Quarters

I'm getting black textures- not terrain though. I've cleared the cache, alt-tabbing only seems to make it worse and my video card is completely up-2-date.
Any ideas?
I'm running v13
Edit: Nvm, it was a bloom mod I was running.

I tried to delete those funny looking islands because they only face one way and to me I don't like them. But every time I delete them they come back. So is there a way to turn whatever those are off?

I think you are talking about Strategyonly's Goody Islands. They work like Goody Huts and are an extension of the Goody Hut system. Pass a boat of any type thru them and see what happens.

JosEPh ;)

First of all, great mod strategyonly/Hydro/anyone else who worked on this.

I have 1 question. Is there supposed to be extra civs other than what is in base ROM? Because if there are they are not showing up for me.

Top Bottom