God & Kings Screenshot Analysis

A couple of the pictures shows city defenses at 126 for Antwerp. This seems higher than usual.

Any guesess what the "Intrigue" tab is on the Espionage screen (we're currently looking at "Overview")?

Fantastic expansion. Finally! But Lisbon as a city state means no Portuguese civ... Big disappointment and highly unfair, can only be explain by commercial reasons. Civ V sells less in Portugal than in Holland, I suppose.
Come on… Portuguese is the fifth most spoken language nowadays and it was the first world empire were the “sun never sets”.
Will it be Brazilian civ instead?

Fantastic expansion. Finally! But Lisbon as a city state means no Portuguese civ... Big disappointment and highly unfair, can only be explain by commercial reasons. Civ V sells less in Portugal than in Holland, I suppose.
Come on… Portuguese is the fifth most spoken language nowadays and it was the first world empire were the “sun never sets”.

No Portugal in this expansion but I would not rule it out in the future. Remember that there was a Seoul CS.

I wouldn't rule out Portugal.. I doubt they are 100% finished with the new expansion and may not have included all of the civ's yet in their screenshots. Maybe they aren't done with it yet and will add it before the expansion is released? Either that or DLC post expac.. they can't leave out one of the most influential empires in during colonialism.

Well, I don't think it's entirely commercial reasons. But I do agree that it would be between the Dutch and Portugal. Having both can be difficult because Portugal will blend into Spain, England, and the Dutch. Basically, unique playstyles are probably their priority.

I would assume they know what Civs are going in given that the biggest headache for the Art team would be the animated leaders.

I would assume the added civs will probably include at least one or two more European, with the highest probability being Austria given that there is an easy Female leader to give, and CivV has been careful to keep a high number of lady leads.

I would assume we will see one or two African civs, the Moors and Zulu being most likely, with Kongo close behind.

To continue the assumption set, I would guess one North American tribe, with Sioux being highest likelihood.

Insofar as Asian civs, the Lhasa and Hanoi CSs rule out two possibilities, leaving me to speculate on a left field civ like the Kazakh Khanate or Malacca

No Portugal in this expansion but I would not rule it out in the future. Remember that there was a Seoul CS.

Well, I don't think it's entirely commercial reasons. But I do agree that it would be between the Dutch and Portugal. Having both can be difficult because Portugal will blend into Spain, England, and the Dutch. Basically, unique playstyles are probably their priority.

Well, let’s hope they will do the same as they did with Seoul / Korea then.
Yes, maybe it would be one more civ like Spain, England or Holland but in Civ IV it was actually very well done (historically speaking) with the Nau (a bigger Caravel, actually able to get to India) as the unique unit and the Feitoria (fortified trading post) as the unique building. Also with a system similar to “Extended Era Mod” (my favorite mod so far for Civ V) it would give some meaning to have Civs with advantages in the same period of History.
I am Portuguese as you can guess and I hope no Dutch or Brazilian got offended with what I said. I was just so excited with the news and suddenly very disappointed when I saw Lisbon as a city state… I love to play with lots of Civs and will enjoy Holland and Brazil in the game, of course. ;)

If the Machine gun is comparable in strength to Infantry, that indicates a 66.7% increase in strength. If the Pictish Warrior is at the same 66.7% increase, then the 11 strength would be similar to 6 strength of the warrior/Jaguar/brute/Maori Warrior we have now, only slightly stronger as it would effectively be a 6.6 strength warrior. In other words a unique warrior that's 10% stronger than the regular warrior.

On the other hand, if the machine gun is comparable in strength to the Anti-tank gun and Anti-air gun, that's an 87.5% increase which would make the 11 strength comparable to 5.87 strength of units as we know them now. Thus a unique warrior that's slightly weaker than the regular warrior.

The screenshot of the Pictish Warrior also show 2 positive bonuses that probably account for the the difference in strength when compared to the regular warrior.

No matter which strength comparison is used for the machine gun, it's clear the Pictish warrior is a replacement for the warrior unit. Therefore it makes perfect sense for it to be around while researching iron working.

I suspect it's most likely the 66.7% (2/3) increase in strength. Thus we'd have infantry at 60 strength, tanks at 83 strength, Pikes at 16 strength, Archers at 7 combat 11 ranged strength, etc, etc.

second screenshot - trade caravan perhaps...
Would the return of trade caravans be welcomed and make sense?

from 2K Greg's post:
"In addition, Mercantile city-states will be attractive for those of you who love to grow your civilisation's treasury"

maybe there will be CS quests involving caravans

Great news ! I have one confusion. They did mentioned of new civs, military units & CS but not about new techs. Are they not going to overhaul the tech tree & add more complexity to it by adding new techs & interlinks so that beelining is not that strong.

Personally, to me it gets kinda boring that with every Civ iteration, we return to same Civs.

First, due to $$ constrains new game has less civs then previous iteration (this is normal). Then fans complain about their favorite civ is not there (or even worse, their favorite country). Then comes expansion that adds same civs that where there is previous installments.

Where are new fresh civs? I'm kinda sick that every civ game at the end gets same inca/maya/aztec trio, same colonial powers (spain, dutch, etc...), same mediterranians civs (cartage, byzantines, etc...).

It gets boring after while. OK?

P.S.
Personally, I'm always for more unique civs, then more similarly themed civs (aztec/maya, spain/portugeese, etc...). Even if those civs are more obscure.

Looks to me like the religions are in alphabetical order, so the Mesoamerican-looking religion is something that comes after "Taoism" and before "Zoroastrianism".

Great news ! I have one confusion. They did mentioned of new civs, military units & CS but not about new techs. Are they not going to overhaul the tech tree & add more complexity to it by adding new techs & interlinks so that beelining is not that strong.
They are adding new techs, but they haven't made clear how many.
It will come as no surprise to those of you who are familar with expansion packs for previous Civilization games that Gods & Kings will add more techs, units, buildings, Wonders, and playable Civilizations

Top Bottom