[Religion and Revolution]: Mod Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wheel should not be a problem...the natives will only capture European treasures...I think the natives are intelligent enough to steer the European treasures after they captured them :D

That is what I would think, too. :)

@ team

what is the system behind the naming of privateers? Do the get names also of the respective list in the "CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml"? Or is this list only for the other ships? In the testgame I started with the English Colonies, but all my privateers got names of Portugal. At the same time the Portugal privateers got the English names...maybe there is something incorrect?

How can we check this?

@ team
what is the system behind the naming of privateers?

For privateers we implemented something special at TAC. :)
They do not get names of the nation specific list.

They have another list in Civ4UnitInfos.xml that is taken from famous / known pirates / privateers of that time.
(It is simply unit specific.)

Reason:
They have hidden nationality.
Names from nationspecific list would tell their nationality.
Thus they are getting names of a common list.

So everything is ok. :thumbsup:
(It works as designed. Definitely no bug.)

Hi guys,

in the old Preview (in our SVN) I had implemented the feature Railroads. (some screenshots)
(Including Trains and Trainstations.)

When I originally implemented this, it was simply one of the many experiments I did.
(I know, that it is definitely not historically correct.)

However:

A) I had realized, that it was a lot of fun to play.
(A little bit of "Railroad Tycoon" in Colonization.)

B) Extremely useful, when playing on gigantic maps, like we are going go implement.
(Basically on these gigantic maps, trains are the only transports, that can pass continents in reasonable time.)

C) This feature would be ready to go.
(It would take me about an hour to bring it into our mod.
Only some graphical improvement for the train would be necessary.)

Summary:

I think I would like to have it, even though it is not historically correct for that period. :dunno:
But I can fully accept if a team member does not like the idea and puts a veto against this feature. :thumbsup:
(I am just asking ...)

I like it, I think you can put it in :thumbsup:
Although because it really should require an advanced late-game tech; maybe would be best to add it when we have Technologies.

But, do you think the AI can be trained to work with this? One issue would be making it build a single direct rail line between inland cities, not cover every tile with rails like it does in Civ4. Also if there is a special Train unit only for rails it seems like there could be lots of difficulty planning where/how to use it and coordinating that with where rails are present or need to be built - I think it could also be ok to simplify things by letting units use rails as in Civ4.

I like it, I think you can put it in :thumbsup:

Not yet. :)

This feature is too controverse to implement it without further feedback from the team. :)
Maybe some other team member will have a veto against this feature.
(Which I could understand.)

It is definitely very useful on gigantic maps and a lot of fun.
But it is also absolutely historically incorrect for that time period.

:dunno:

Although because it really should require an advanced late-game tech; maybe would be best to add it when we have Technologies.

Trains are not that easy to build and cannot be bought.
You can only build them in cities where you have a train station.
And a train station again, has prerequisites, too.

Also, they are expensive to build.
(Railroads are also much more expensive than normal roads.)

But later, when we have technologies, we could surely have a tech as prerequisite for them. :thumbsup:

But, do you think the AI can be trained to work with this?

It should be able to generally handle this, but of course not as good as human players. :)
(But maybe a few improvements for AI might really be needed.)

One issue would be making it build a single direct rail line between inland cities, not cover every tile with rails like it does in Civ4.

Don't see a big problem with that.
AI tends to connect cities quite well with roads and railroads.

But generally you are right, we would need to test if that AI needs improvement for that feature. :thumbsup:

I think it could also be ok to simplify things by letting units use rails as in Civ4.

That is what I explicitely do not want. :)
The Civ4 system is incredibly boring to me and also extremely unatmospheric.
Colonization "thinks" in transport units and I would like to keep that.

Railroads are only useful for trains and do not affect movement speed of other units.
(For other units railroads are like normal roads.)

I'm sorry, but I must say "veto" against this feature. I like it too, but it is extremly unrealistic for the time period covered by this game. Sorry guys.

I'm sorry, but I must say "veto" against this feature.

Accepted. :)
(I will simply implement it for my personal version when the mod is finished.
Meaning in a few years. :lol:)

Maybe we can implement it at a later date when or if we expand the mod to a time period which matches better with railroads/trains?

I had been dreaming about expanding the game to the time period of the "American Civil War" by creating several game phases.
But I realized that this is totally unrealistic considering efforts.

This will probably never happen ...

I'm sorry, but I must say "veto" against this feature. I like it too, but it is extremly unrealistic for the time period covered by this game. Sorry guys.

I'm with Schmiddie on this one. It would be a fun feature if the mod covered a longer timescale, but a complete anachronism for the colonial period.

I had been dreaming about expanding the game to the time period of the "American Civil War" by creating several game phases.

If you ever do decide to go ahead with it, let me know, I'll be more than happy to do the biographical information.:D

Yes I don't like this also. There are quite a few railway sim games around and I don't see any need to replicate those here. Also one of the reasons I don't like Civ is because of the mismatches in relative technologies and time - so I do not support going down that path.

I think an American civil war mod based on the Colonisation engine is a great idea - it uses what Col is good at - advancing and managing economy to achieve a military victory.

As for transport on huge maps I think this raises a question. Are the huge maps bigger worlds, or are they just the same size worlds with more tiles? I think the bigger maps are just more tiles (but reduced size tiles) to allow more intricate micromanagement of the same world space.

I think the current equation is that one turn = 4 months so a tile is as much land as can be walked in 4 months. That kind of works on small maps, but it starts to become a problem on huge maps.

I think the solution for huge maps is to give existing units more movement points, not railroads.

Yes I don't like this also.

Don't worry guys, it is already off the list. :)
(One veto was enough.)

I think an American civil war mod based on the Colonisation engine is a great idea - it uses what Col is good at - advancing and managing economy to achieve a military victory.

I was not talking of a separate mod. :)

I was talking about one mod, that goes from the beginning of colonization until American Civil War by having several game phases.
(But as I said, this is totally unrealistic.)

I think the solution for huge maps is to give existing units more movement points, not railroads.

We cannot do that.
Our mod needs to work with small maps, as well as gigantic maps.

Veto against increasing movement points. :)

But the movement points are a good point :D
Could we find another way to bring the timeline and movements in line?

I don't see any problems here. :dunno:
I am really totally against changing either timeline (months/years per turn) or movement points.

Seriously, messing with this will not improve the game at all.
Consequences and risks are way too heavy !

Absolute veto from my side.

It's not totally unrealistic to have a railroad be possible in the very late game. After the steam engine in 1769 and the first locomotive in 1804, keep in mind that most of the Americas was struggling for independence around 1810-1830.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Americas_independence_map.PNG

The game is about alternate history and exploring what might have happened in different circumstances, rather than always retrace the exact steps of what did happen every time, so its most important to focus on an interesting and fun experience. But I really don't feel strongly about the railroads, also I agree they might end up as too much micromanagement to be fun. So of course lets accept the vetos and there's enough to do already. :king:

IIRC, I think there was some feature in Kailric's tech modcomp or Medieval mod that lets a technology increase the movement benefit from roads. I can't recall the details but maybe that's something to keep in mind for later. (Plank roads were a big thing around that time, but I'm not sure how effective they really were at increasing movement.

By the way...I started another game (marathon) on the Szenario Map America 1.03 RaR. No crashs, no problems or missbehaviour...all is perfekt (1680)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom