Turn Discussion Thread I - Turns 1-50

I'm hoping to see either some jungle or some pine soon so we can figure out in general where we are in the world.

Well, don't get into the trap of falling for Red Herrings.

I was thinking, we have to grow our city to work the mines anyway, so we will have more warriors coming. I wonder if The Lost Warrior should continue to push Westward. Then when we pop out The Lone Ranger, he can guard the plains hill from animals, etc. for a while at least.

It may very well be our continent is so small it doesn't need much exploration at all. In that case, we go sailing right after pottery & Mono is done.

I am also not sure about cottaging up the capital. If we want gold we can build the Collosus in many cities at +100% with copper, +25% at mono, and +25% with forge. And another +50% in the capital with CS.

All in favor of settling the plains hill please raise your hand...*raises hand*

Now...where to move the warrior next...either 1W or 1SW...I'm not sure which is going to be better.

I vote for Lost Warrior to continue one tile west, first of all it is a hill and he could see further, and continue west until first border pop, then turn towards south and scout immediate land for third city.

2nd city should 100% go to plains hill!

Well actually the adjacent tiles are forest...which impedes hill vision. Regardless I'm starting to think that 1W is better.

EDIT: actually...there are those southern forests that would be revealed...

How about 1 NW to see more coast? If we spot a seafood resource, we might be looking at a site that can accomodate 2 cities, not just one.

If that plains hill does, in fact, reveal copper, then I'm in the camp that believes we should not settle on it. Use the hammers from working the tile to build units to protect it. Maybe if we settle on the Dye 1 NW of it, we could have a fairly easy time parking spears on it to defend it. It will be bordered on 2 sides by river and positioned behind our city.

I'm going to modify an old quote about baseball statistics so its fitting here --

"Fog of war is like a girl in a bikini. What it reveals is compelling, but what it hides is essential"

1NW isn't a bad idea actually...then 1SW next turn...(let's use those diagonals until Civ V comes out ;))

I'm going to say that I doubt copper will show up on that hill...then again I've never played on a map like this so what do I know?

To early to set 2nd city location. Could be a coastal location SW of the hill, or an ancient happy nearby.

The hill tile is JUICY... but maybe something even better in the fog. Regardless, this is a absolute pile of food, and we know the map will have some kind of twist. No metal within 10 tiles of anyone's start, perhaps?

Agree: warrior 1NW, 1SW

To early to set 2nd city location. Could be a coastal location SW of the hill, or an ancient happy nearby.

The hill tile is JUICY... but maybe something even better in the fog. Regardless, this is a absolute pile of food, and we know the map will have some kind of twist. No metal within 10 tiles of anyone's start, perhaps?

Agree: warrior 1NW, 1SW

Kinda agree, little too early to call the hill yet, although it does look very tasty right now...

No metal - that'd make starting near the chariot rushing persians even more of a disaster - arrragh - run for the hills. :p

+1 for moving the warrior NW next.

Copper hills - good point! :)

On the scout, torn between NW or heading (S+SW or SW+S) to see what's visible from the plains hill early.

Vote here for warrior move 1 NW. 1 W appears to reveal all forest tiles, something that can be deduced already from fog-gazing. And let's not get ahead of ourselves with deciding to settle on the plains hill after two turns. More scouting is needed to make an informed decision.

I also vote for 1NW. Reveals the coast (hope for seafood, but if we don't we've got enough food already), then go SW the next turn. Diagonals = efficient.

Thanks UC for the observation about the water. The nice thing is that Delhi's borders will pop so we can see what that landmass to the east of our capital looks like. I imagine that all teams start coastal and have their own pocket islands.

I'll rename the warrior to "The Lost Warrior," if it hasn't been done so already. ;)

There's no such thing as "enough food". :p

Look at all that irrigated rice! Anyways, it's difficult to mess a turn up like this, but I recommend moving him NW and then circling around the unexplored areas around Delhi.

Top Bottom