Civilization I - do you still...

darko82

Emperor
Do you still play Civilization I from time to time? Just for the sake of nostaliga? This game is still huge for me. Hundreds of hours of fun with it. And the graphics was not so colorful as other Civilization games. Any memories you have with it?

I tried playing it recently. I couldn't do it for more than maybe 10 minutes, unfortunately.

"What the...? How did that barb just walk into my city? What happened to the city defen... oh, yeah..."
"Where did that other enemy unit go? I swear there were 2 units last turn, and now there's only... oh, yeah..."
"Oh good, my settler finally finished. But why is my capital back to size 3? I thought it had already reached size 4 several turns ag... oh, yeah..."

Most of my nostalgia is for Civ II anyway.

Moderator Action: Moved to Civ I

I tried playing it recently. I couldn't do it for more than maybe 10 minutes, unfortunately.

"What the...? How did that barb just walk into my city? What happened to the city defen... oh, yeah..."
"Where did that other enemy unit go? I swear there were 2 units last turn, and now there's only... oh, yeah..."
"Oh good, my settler finally finished. But why is my capital back to size 3? I thought it had already reached size 4 several turns ag... oh, yeah..."

Most of my nostalgia is for Civ II anyway.

I do not remember this happening. Maybe some bugs? When you build settlers, the population is naturally decreased by 1.

Yes I still play occasionally. Its the only version of Civ I play because it works on DosBox, which means it can run on almost any platform.

It's soothing.

There ya go. Hell yes. The last two days of my workweek are difficult, but the prize after them are 3 days off. What keeps my eyes on that prize is knowing that i'll get 7 hours of civving as soon as i'm off, grooving a great radio station, and a six of really hoppy beer. After that it's a total crash for 11 hours, but leaves 2 full days, utterly and completely decompressed. Ahhhh.

I would love to play the original version again, but can't for the life of me work out how to make it work on Windows 10.

I would love to play the original version again, but can't for the life of me work out how to make it work on Windows 10.

If you don't mind paying $17 you can get it all neatly DOSBox'd for you at http://www.allvideoclassicgames.com/. It works with XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10, or Mac OS. I've bought several old games there, including Civ 1. They have Civ II and MANY other games.

Lots of nostalgia until I lose my whole army to a militia or lose a bunch of cities to a militia, or some other funkiness.

Lots of nostalgia until I lose my whole army to a militia or lose a bunch of cities to a militia, or some other funkiness.

Use your imagination in such cases. It helps to enjoy the game even more.

Use your imagination in such cases. It helps to enjoy the game ever more.

I was always trying to imagine how could a militia defeat a battleship in Civ I ... :p I was imagining that the militia probably had small dinghy boats full with explosives, went to the side of the battleship at night somehow unseen and detonated them :lol: - Yeah, i know, extremely unlikely, but i can't think of any other way. Unless the militias have spears with explosive pointed heads, and somehow someone from a cliff managed to throw one into the barrel of one of the battleship's guns :lol:

Of course a Battleship can lose to a Militia.
It becomes over-eager trying to get him and then runs aground in shallow waters.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall...

I was always trying to imagine how could a militia defeat a battleship in Civ I ... :p I was imagining that the militia probably had small dinghy boats full with explosives, went to the side of the battleship at night somehow unseen and detonated them :lol: - Yeah, i know, extremely unlikely, but i can't think of any other way. Unless the militias have spears with explosive pointed heads, and somehow someone from a cliff managed to throw one into the barrel of one of the battleship's guns :lol:

Just imagine it is not a milita anymore, but some super advanced unit or some hidden weapon or hidden technology that you encounter, or a natural disaster :lol:

Top Bottom