Dawn of Phoenicia

citis

Deity
The story of Carthaginians from a city state to the strongest classical empire.

Participation:
Carthage run a system of elective monarchy. I kept this system, kings and their policies were elected.

History:
*Phoenician city states
*Dido's exile
*The Great Cothon
*Treaty of 509BC
*Phoenician empire
*Scramble for Iberia
*First Punic War
**Chapter A
**Chapter B
*Second Punic War
*Hanno's voyage
*Third Punic War
*The Golden Coast
*The End

List of kings:
*Elyssa (Dido)
*Hamilcar
*Hiram II
*Hannibal the Conqueror
*Hasdrubal the Fair
*Hanno
*Mago
*Himilco

Phoenicians was a tribe in mediterreanean coast and in fertile crescent.
Tyre and Sidon were the major political and economic centers. The role of de facto capital switced between these two cities among the years.

Phoenicians were advanced. They discovered bireme and used their naval force to conduct trade in Mediterranea and build safe ports.

Phoenicia is in political turmoil.
Queen Elissa or Dido is about to exile in Africa. Hiram on the other hand tries to organise all of Phoenicians under his rule.

Dear phoenicians. Our beloved queen will travel far, believing in rumors about new riches, safe far away from our powerful enemies.
Hiram calls us to stay in our home and make it strong.

What will Phoenicians do? Will they follow Dido in hope for a new and better home, or they will remain in Levant and try to forge a stronger kingdom?

Dido:

*Settle Carthage as Capital.
*Move all units there.

Hiram:

*Settle Tyre as capital.
*Most units remain in Levant.
*Let Dido follow her own path.

Being ignorant about rfc, I'll go with my gut feeling and say Dido

Voting is closed. Dido won. Update soon.

Phoenician's followed Dido in her jearny to the west.

Dido sailed to western mediterranean. There are rumours of big riches there, that's what previous explorers say.

Phoenicians want to have good relations with their neighbours. They are mostly interesting in open borders, so that they can trade and thus prosper.

Hiram fights alone in Phoenicia. His performance is mediocre to say the least. Dido and her followers forget their previous home to avoid homesickness.

Dido found a new rich spot in modern day Tunisia. The natural bay there is excelent for port, and the riches of the area is the best for trade.

Although there were many phoenician ports in the area, only Carthage was large enough to maintain a substainable population. Carthage started to reclaim the former phoenician colonies and becomes gradually the economic center of mediterranean sea.

Dido's reign is over. Who's next?

Hiram II:

Hiram II is nephew of Hiram. He wants to reclaim the former phoenician colonial empire.
*Settle in a rich spot western of Carthage.
*Train an additional settler.

Hamilcar:

Hamilcar wants to make Carthage the dominant power in mediterranean. He is concerned about Greeks, he sees them as rivals.
*Build Great Cothon in Carthage.
*Settle Sicily.

Hasdrubal:

Hasrubal wants to extract the riches of Iberia.
*Settle in Iberia.
*Build mines in Iberia.
*Make sure Iberian cities controll all mines there.

What do you mean by "west Africa"? The western part of the African Mediterranean coast (modern Algeria, Morocco) or along the Atlantic coast?

I cast my vote in favour of Hasdrubal and the settlement of Iberia, it will give us a foothold in Europe. However, we should consider settling, within the relatively near future, Sicily (and possibly mainland Italy) as well as Sinai/Nile River Delta to guarantee our control of the Med. After that we can slowly expand across North Africa.

What do you mean by "west Africa"? The western part of the African Mediterranean coast (modern Algeria, Morocco) or along the Atlantic coast?

I mean modern day Algeria Morocco.

I vote Hamilcar! Sicily is closer to Carthage, and the two cities can support eachother in the case of some outside threat appearing. The dyes and wine will greatly enrich our trade empire. We will be able to settle many colonies and develop large fleets with the production bonus of the Great Cothon!

I'd prefer if Hiram ruled, a colony to the west of Carthage would be the starting point for a later colonization of Iberia, which is too distant right now.

Though the Great Cothon sure would be nice to have as well.

Voting is closed. I resolve the tie by voting Hamilcar.

Hamilcar claims Sicily and builds a Carthaginian fort there, Messana.

After extensive trade with Egypt, Carthaginians learnt the secrets of farming.

Hamilcar overseed the construction of Carthage and its surroundings.
Carthage became the trade center of mediterranean and Carthaginian merchants prospered.

Hamilcar sent scouts in Greece. Should initiate a war or not?

After construction of Carthage and Messana, Hamilcar fulfilled the aims of his term.

Hamilcar's term is over. Sicily is secured and the Great Cothon is built. Who's next?

Hiram II:

Hiram II is nephew of Hiram. He wants to reclaim the former phoenician colonial empire.
*Train settlers in both cities.
*Settle one settler western of Carthage.

Hamilcar:

Hamilcar wants to make Carthage the dominant power in mediterranean. He is concerned about Greeks, he sees them as rivals.
*Declare war on Greece.
*Capture Sparte, pillage or capture other cities if possible.
*Train an additional trireme and additional archers.

I vote for Hiram II, let's become the dominant power of the western Mediterranean first. The lands of west of Carthage are fairer then Greece, and hammer for hammer, I think it will be cheaper to settle new cities then start a war with Greece for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiram II, Carthage needs a better power and production base before waging war against older civilizations.

Voting is closed. Hiram II won.

Hiram called Hamilcar back. Also he overseed the caltivation of elephants, braught by Phoenicia.

Hiram sent some people to colonise western of Carthage, it seems a rich spot.

Carthage claimed Iol, a former phoenician colony for themselves.

Carthaginians developped a new type of weapon, the war elephant. A unit unbeatable in open field.

Sicily had rich mines.

Feared from Carthaginian colonialism italian tribes saw onto Rome for protection. Rome claimed all of Italy, even near Messana.

Carthaginian-Roman relations were complex.

In 509BC, Carthaginians and Romans divided western mediterranean in spheres of influence. Romans were prohibited to sail in Africa, they could sail to Sicily and Sardinia only in emergencies, while Carthaginians couldn't sail in Italy.
Later on, the treaty was modified, so that all of Sicily was under Carthaginian influence, while Corsica was under Roman influence.

Both sides knew that the treaty was temporary. However, at this point both sides lacked the military necessary to afford a war.

A second settler is ready as Hiram requested.

Top Bottom